Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Created web services client using new .NET capabilities - better than MS Access!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Created web services client using new .NET capabilities - better than MS Access!!

I just finished trying out the new v11 capabilities to generate and use a web services client using the WSDL and new .NET capabilities. It works amazingly well. It is even better than what can be done in MS Access with VBA. Access/VBA uses COM wrappers to access the generated web services client classes. This works just fine if you don't need authentication in a SOAP header. so if the data is publically available, no problem. I happen to be using health case related for a client and the State web site requires user authentication, in the form of a SOAP header userID and password. Unfortunately Access cannot utilize this soap header because the class inherits from other classes and the COM interface does not support such. (Complicated, I know but believe me as I spent hours and hours on this including corresponding with MS support in China. They finally wrote me: "I am sorry for that there is no good solution so far that we can use to consume web service with SOAP header required on legacy VBA.")

The great news is that Alpha five apparently does not use COM wrappers to access the web services client classes. It [apparently] has full access to the generated classes and the classes from which they inherit. So you can define and send web services requests that have authentication in the SOAP header.

See this link for how to utilize the new A5 capabilities

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/Genera...highlight=wsdl

Bob
    Bob Alston
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://webpages.charter.net/bobalston/bob1.htm
    Alpha five v11 Tips

Re: Created web services client using new .NET capabilities - better than MS Access!!

This is GREAT news...thanks for sharing.

Comment

Re: Created web services client using new .NET capabilities - better than MS Access!!

Hi Bob,

I am pleased that you are having success using the new .NET services in V11...

"I just finished trying out the new v11 capabilities to generate and use a web services client using the WSDL and new .NET capabilities. It works amazingly well."

I, on the other hand, not yet competent in XBasic, have struggled for several weeks to implement a client to consume the WSDL service I wish to interface with. I have had email contact with Alpha but no concrete "here's how" support. I am not a fan of the wiki (still prefer the conventional help in V10) and find the sketchy detail in the wiki confusing as opposed to helpful.
      Don't get me wrong, this is not me seizing an opportunity to gripe at Alpha, I can annoy them directly... No, I just wondered if you would be prepared to share some code to help a newbie get going.

Thanks for the post,

Paul

Comment

Sure,. happy to help. but the code I used is just the sample code in the wiki. Search for WSDL and you will find the code examples that worked for me.

If you still have problems, contact me directly at bobalston9 at Yahoo D O T com

bob
        Bob Alston
        Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Originally posted by pulsoft View Post
          I just wondered if you would be prepared to share some code to help a newbie get going.
          are you able to create the a5 proxy dll and register it in a5 or do you get an error ?
          we had issues generating the DLL with some webservices but found the alternative method GenerateWebServiceClientFromWSDL worked.
          https://appsbydesign.co.uk/

Comment

Yes I created and registered the proxy without issue. I ultimately had problems with running it due to a web address in the WSDL that was in error. so I had to switch from the generate from URL to generate from a file with the WSDL (which I corrected). I also had to expand the wait time since the State of TX server is somewhat slow. so it looks like we ended up using the same generate method.

Now if I could only write the returned XML structure to an XML file. Haven't yet figured out how to do that.

Bob
            Bob Alston
            Alpha five v11 Tips

Comment

Working...
            X