Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help Needed in running Reports from Web browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Needed in running Reports from Web browser

I am a newbie, I am testing out Alpha5 software to build an application. I have a simple report built. The datasource for the report is an odbc connection to a SQLite database. The sql query joins data from about 3 tables and retrieves about 149902 records in less than a minute when run the query on the SQLite Query browser. When i run the report by clicking a button on the web (button action generates the report) the report acts as if its generating and hangs forever. If I try to pass an argument as a filter to SQL query then it gives an error rightaway. "SQLReporting 9 - Could not create ResultSet from DataSource definition. Could not execute query against Database. Error reported was: Success " . If I run another query agiants smaller number of records in a single table, then I can pass argument through the web to the SQL query and everything works. I am not sure if it is a problem with odbc connection, and if somebody else had this issue or if I am doing something wrong. I am planning to use SQLserver for the actual application. I am using SQLite just because its a free version.

**ANY HELP OR SUGGESTION WILL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED "

Thanks

Re: Help Needed in running Reports from Web browser

If you are going to use MS SQL Server with actual application, why don't you download SQL Server Express, which is also free. Unless you are going to have a database that exceeds the limit of Express, you do not need to purchase the higher end version.

Comment

Try to limit the report to a 1000 records to see if that works first. Then increase it to see the timeframe. The report will be massive if you are trying to view all in one report.
      If this report is not an up to the minute report I suggest to export the view and create a new table from it. Build a report off of the new table. I have a report that usually took about 3min to build and now using this method its about 30 seconds.
      Chad Brown

Comment

Thanks for your input swksys and Chad. I am currently using a full blown SQL Server now. I have about 137000 records in the table. I am using SQL DataSource then ad hoc DataSource to get my data from the SQL server as my report needs current data. I am currently using portable SQL query to generate a basic report with 4-5 columns. I use a simple dialouge webcomponent to allow users to choose variable, such as a location or site name. When I choose a variable(location or site name) that has about 500 records in the table then it takes about 30 seconds to generate the report but when I choose a variable(location or site) that has about 20 thousand record then the query takes about 4-5 minutes to generate the desired report. The number of records in my table will keep on growing so I am running into performance issues. If I pass the query through SQL Server Management tool then I get the result within seconds, so its not a database query issue. What can I do to speed up my reporting. I really need to be able to allow my users to retrieve this report quickly. Since I am a newbie I am looking for some tips and tricks from experienced ALPHA users. Thanks in advance.

Prajj

Comment

Thanks for your input swksys and Chad. I am currently using a full blown SQL Server now. I have about 137000 records in the table. I am using SQL DataSource then ad hoc DataSource to get my data from the SQL server as my report needs current data. I am currently using portable SQL query to generate a basic report with 4-5 columns. I use a simple dialouge webcomponent to allow users to choose variable, such as a location or site name. When I choose a variable(location or site name) that has about 500 records in the table then it takes about 30 seconds to generate the report but when I choose a variable(location or site) that has about 20 thousand record then the query takes about 4-5 minutes to generate the desired report. The number of records in my table will keep on growing so I am running into performance issues. If I pass the query through SQL Server Management tool then I get the result within seconds, so its not a database query issue. What can I do to speed up my reporting. I really need to be able to allow my users to retrieve this report quickly. Since I am a newbie I am looking for some tips and tricks from experienced ALPHA users. Thanks in advance.

Comment

I don't have an answer, but I thought this tip from another post might help you - altho, now reading it, I see that it's about grids and I'm not sure if it will be helpful for telling you the timing to run a report

go to the server side events - ongridexecute event - and add this code
            e.tmpl.timer = .t.

then run your grid.
            it will show internal timing information.
            MSQL since 2010
            A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Thanks Marion, do you think there is something to show internal timing of report generation ?
              Prajj

Comment

I haven't done any reports yet, so I don' t know.

Out of curiousity, how is the speed when you call the data into a grid, rather than a report?
                MSQL since 2010
                A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Data is populated fairly quickly in grid.

Comment

ok - so -
                    the data runs in SQL
                    the data runs in a grid
                    the data is pokey slow in a report

therefore, something is wrong in the report construction.

I've never built a report in A5, but, here's what I would try to isolate the problem:

idea 1: just for jollies - load the data from the view into a table (ie, create a table, just for experimental purposes - select * into NewTemporaryTable from viewName

then, run the report directly from the table (instead of from the view).

idea 2: reate a stored procedure in SQL, and run the report from the Stored Procedure (when I run reports in Report Builder that are driven by Stored Procedures they are much faster than reports run from views)
                    MSQL since 2010
                    A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

I have already dropped the view and created a whole new table, I am using SQL Server Agent to update the temporary table periodically. The speed is little better but not a big difference. I can try the stored procedure method and see if it helps but to me it seems like Alpha is taking a long time after to temporarily store the data it retrieved from SQL Server and present it in PDF in the desired report format.

Comment

Working...
                      X