Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

One to many data entry in Web Apps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One to many data entry in Web Apps

How do we do one to many in web App? on the desktop we just create a set then point and click to a form then a browse for the detail and it's finished, one the powerful feature of alpha five, can we do this on web apps? is there a web app version of Alpha Sports? Hoping that I could access sql server faster , because I tried on the desktop but it is tooo slow, just to display a lookup field using active or passive link would take 5 to 10 seconds to display the lookup.Thanks

Re: One to many data entry in Web Apps

hi Jetson -

How do we do one to many in web App?
    there are several ways; examples of linking the kids to the parents
    - row expander option puts a + a the start of parent row, and you can expand /collapse to see the kids (but other rows get 'pushed' downward visually)
    - insert the kids as a field, embedding them in the parental row of the grid
    - add linked content, via a hyperlink, or image, or clicking the row, or doubleclicking the row - to a pop-up window, or drop-down, or opens another tab

on the desktop we just create a set then point and click to a form then a browse for the detail and it's finished, one the powerful feature of alpha five, can we do this on web apps?
    yes

is there a web app version of Alpha Sports?
    I don't know, but there are demo web apps from Alpha

check out the videos here

http://server2.alphasoftware.com/sup...eo-library.a5w

and
    http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11preview/videos_v11.htm

in particular - look at the videso from V10 http://news.alphasoftware.com/v11pre...os_v11.htm#V10

nutshell -
    build a grid component from one table or view, say the parent
    build a grid component from another table or view - the kids

and then use one of many methods to LINK them
    MSQL since 2010
    A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

You can also use the dialog component in V11, and it's Repeating Rows feature.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

It's really easier on the desktop to do a one to many data entry like the invoice app in alpha sports,in 10 minutes, a working data entry is finished, it is somewhat harder on web app, I also tried to find a way on how to do a lookup in grid component but i'm stuck,it's so easy on Desktop.Any advice please on Lookups? Thank You!

Comment

BTW, are field rules applicable in Web Apps? like the posting feature on native DBF's? I tried to do a post which subtracts the qty invoiced to the On Stock in the products table but I is not working, It's again very easy easy on the desktop part but I don't know why it is not working when i tried to create a web app.

Comment

Hi Jetson -
            It's hard on the web because it's new to you. It was hard for me when I started, a few weeks ago but I made a lot of progress, within weeks.

LookUp - there are several ways to do this, so it depends on what you are trying to do. Go to the video links and search for look-up. Examples: you can set the field type as dropdown (but this is not helpful when the list of values is extensive). You can set the field as TextBox, and then Field.Properties.Lookup - and you have 3 options - to do the lookup to another A5 grid component, to do AutoSuggest (my personal fav) or EditCombo.

FieldRules - I don't know what the 'posting feature' is
            there are extensive validation rules which address field validation - again, check out the video links for 'validation'

Calculations - to my way of thinking, this is different from field rules and validation; these are calculations, which can be built within field.properties.calculation (using xbasic) - or, as I am not familiar with xbasic, I prefer to build the formulas in my database

I know. It's overwhelming. But you'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

Be sure to check out Steve Wood's free Friday webinars
            http://www.alphatogo.com/support.a5w
            MSQL since 2010
            A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Thank you so much Marion for the tips that you shared me especially on your experiences on Alpha Five, I'll roll my sleeves and start the learning process, I'll be posting for more questions, i hope you'll find time to help again.Also thanks Steve.

Comment

I created a lookup in a Grid component, but i can't figure out how to display the specific value, instead, what is displayed is the primary key of the lookup value, How do we display the ProductName for example instead of the product id after selecting a value in the lookup combo box.
                Attached Files

Comment

Jetson -

when you set up the dropdown, do you see the dialog as on the attached image?

you want to check the option to "store value other than the display vlaue" and then specify what get stored

see attahced
                  does that help?

2012-03-19_Drop_down.png
                  MSQL since 2010
                  A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Marion,
                    Thank you very much for your help again, I skipped that a while ago, and proceeded to get data to sql server, i used two grids, one for order header and one for order detail, just like the one in Alpha Sports database for the desktop but being a beginner, i could not save a record for the detail, i cant figure out how to connect their primary key.Hope you could help me again.

Comment

Hi Jetson

I recommend using the Northwind database for learning.... I resisted doing so for a couple of years, but now that I've started, I've grown quite attached to it. It becomes a 'common denominator' for discussions.

Having said that, let's step back and see what you've done.

I understand that you are trying to work with a header and detail table, but let's do baby steps.

1. build a component just for the header table; what kind of component did you build? There are 5 choices (editable grid, readonly grid, readonly grid with updateable detail view, and 2 types of single record view).

For learning, before you work with two grids, familiarize yourself with one grid and the 5 types of components.

Make an editable grid. Can you save a record? And update? and Delete?

2. ok, let's move to working with 2 components (let's not deal with inserts or updates yet, until you have the basic linking working). Let's say, for learning purposes that you are trying to set up the following scenario - t may not be what you want/need, but it's for learning.

Header - build as readonly grid.
                      For the moment, keep HeaderPKid as a visible column in the grid.

Child - build as a readonly grid
                      for the moment, keep the ChildPKid and HeaderFKid as visible columns in the grid

now, I don't know which method you are using for connecting them, so let's just grab one method....

In the Header Grid.Properties.RowExpander (do you know about the Search Properties to help find the features?)
                      - toggle on RowExpander
                      - RowExpanderType defaults to LinkedContent
                      - RowExpanderLinkedContent - select this and the dialog will ask you for the LinkedContent to add (select your Child component), and select the Header.HeaderPKid and the Child.HeaderFKid
                      - Preview the component; you'll have + marks at each row; click and the row will expand
                      - play around with the other RowExpander options

Next up -
                      try to link two components via:
                      - InsertField.Embeddedgrid
                      - Grid.Properties.LinkedContent

Once you're done with these exercises, and are comfortable with the basic linking, let me know and I'll walk you thru being able to insert (or - go for it on your own, changing the 2nd component to be editable)
                      MSQL since 2010
                      A5V11 since Feb 2012

Comment

Thanks Marion Very Much, I'll give it a try,

May I request again for your help to continue the One to many data entry? I already finished doing step by step your instruction above.
                        Last edited by JetLi; 03-20-2012, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X