Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Find record without filtering out others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find record without filtering out others

Is there a way to find a record without filtering out other records on the grid? I mean, Go To a Record based on criteria selected in an Edit Combo box, but continue to show all other records.

I'm asking because I plan to open a grid showing all records found (no page to page navigation). This means it might take longer to load up front, but then there won't be slow down due to navigating pages. So I'd like user to be able to find a record without filtering out other records because I don't want them to have to wait to do a Clear Search when they want to find something else.
    Carol King
    Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
    http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Re: Find record without filtering out others

Carol,

So you sort of want to Search highlight what is being searched for without filtering out the records that do not contain the search string (or if you like without actually doing the search) ?
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

ctrl f
      But it will only search what is available on webpage.
      It looks like that is what you are looking for anyway.
      Chad Brown

Comment

Wouldn't there be a way to manipulate the sql after the search button has been pressed & modify it into a select * statement, the v11 builtin search highlighting would do the rest...
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Here's a short video of it in my Access app. Just wondered if I can do that in web app. http://screencast.com/t/YNJjsX9FpX
          Carol King

Comment

Yep, Chad, the Ctrl F (Find) on a web page does work, but I wondered if there was a way to give them a lookup for 'finding'.
            Carol King

Comment

Try this .... http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/tips/find.htm
              Gregg
              https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Thanks, Gregg. That definitely looks like a possible solution. Though I was hoping there was a feature in Alpha for this that uses an edit combo box. If not, I may just educate my users to use Ctrl F since that seems to work across the various browsers.
                Carol King

Comment

It looked like the solution you wanted. I took enough time to see that there was a lot of javascript going on, but admittedly, failed to read the basics about netscape and firefox.
                  Amazing what we do in the effort to make things easier for the end user.
                  Gregg
                  https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Actually it works nicely for me. I need to tweak it a little. I can see having just a text box in the search part without the popup box. Thanks for the link.
                    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Frank, when you get it tweaked, I would love to see a video demonstrating it.
                      Carol King

Comment

you could add a searchfield for example the id field, hide it from the search part by setting it's show/hide expression to 1=0 and as a search value an expression that always results to be true like =>0

The only thing now is that both expressions will be ANDed where you need ORed. In the serverside events you can play with the SearchDataSubmitted. variable, I wonder if there is such a thing like SearchQuerySubmitted. so that you could alter it and replace the AND with OR

That in combination with search highlighting would do the job. Something to think about.
                        Frank

Comment

I have to rethink this one. This find is really not useful to me. Actually the one built into the browser is better. What I need is for it to find the records in the table and display them in a grid with all records available. This find just finds the matches the current grid. If I come up with something I will be happy to share.

I'll think about those suggestions, Frank
                          Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                            Frank, when you get it tweaked, I would love to see a video demonstrating it.
                            Here you go: http://screencast.com/t/9lH6PiXcdRo

kudos to Selwyn who helped me remember the combine search criteria option
                            Frank

Comment

Very nice. Thank you, Frank. That has me thinking.... However, my goal is to move to the first record it finds... like the Ctrl F type of Find does. Was hoping to use a combo box for this, but may just have to resort to the Ctrl F. In Access, I have a combo box and after a selection is made, below is the code I have in visual basic. I'm thinking this can't be done on an Alpha web app?

' Find the record that matches the Find field and set focus on the record. (visual basic in MS Access)
                              Dim rs As Object
                              Set rs = Me.Recordset.Clone
                              rs.FindFirst "[JOB_CODE] = '" & Me![FindCode] & "'"
                              Me.Bookmark = rs.Bookmark
                              Carol King

Comment

Working...
                              X