Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Sending Bulk Email - WAS Impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending Bulk Email - WAS Impact

Okay. I have been searching through all of the threads on sending bulk email. Bulk to me is in the area of 5,000 to 10,000 emails a day. I understand there are 3rd party bulk email applications or smtp relay approaches like SendGrid. What I am not understanding is how to hand off the email process to one of these third party apps in a way that will not kill the WAS.

Here is the path that I have started down. First I have created an email queue table such that when a user sends an email or emails it is actually inserted into the queue table waiting to be handed off to another process. Currently, I have a field call WorkData that accepts an xbasic script that contains all of the information necessary to send the email (SMTP, password, username, SMTP port, from, etc.). This is all working fine. Now what I am having trouble wrapping my head around is how to hand off the work to another process without killing the WAS.

I was thinking or perhaps hoping that one of these third party apps would have a way to basically set up some type of cron job to go in get the emails out of the queue table then start sending them off but that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course the third party app would have to read xbasic which it won't.

Then I am thinking what about a second A5 app whose only function is to run a script from a cron job (every 60-minutes) where it processes the email queue and sends emails using an SMTP relay like SendGrid thereby freeing up the WAS on the main app. Basically what its coming down to is that some process still has to get the emails to a third party bulk email application and I am not sure of the best way to do this or even if I am on the correct path. Does it make sense to have a dedicated WAS that just processes emails using a relay? Or am I completely missing something about the best way to accomplish this task? An insight would be much appreciated.

Re: Sending Bulk Email - WAS Impact

Not an email expert and some of this is off the cuff but -- I send 600 emails seven days a week around 11PM using a CRON that kicks off the process. It fires each email, and if email_send2() returns failed, it tries up to 5 more times before giving up. It sends all of them in pretty short order, although I have not timed it lately. They are all text based emails, but pretty large.

If you sent the email job to a 3rd party process, it would not kill the WAS because the WAS would not be doing anything but sending the email payload to the processor. Although, I dont know if you mean you sent 5-10000 all at once, or in small amounts during the day. My guess is you identify a 3rd party processor and then ask them how you send your email request to them. The email body would need to go from your server to their server for processing, I don't see how any 3rd party email company (if that is what you meant) is going to run the email from your server. You could also install a dedicated email package like Mail Enable on your server, but that seems redundant if you can just send them from Alpha.

If your emails are in a queue table, you could (as you suggest) fire up a second instance of the WAS and let it be the one that sends the email, targeting the database on the "other" WAS. I put that in quotes, because database tables are really accessible from any WAS instance.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Below our procedure for sending email through the was at a user defined timeslot. All messages are in an table messages to sent. Messages can be html or plain messages, That needs the provision for special characters. No doubt this code can be optimized. But at it is running flawless at customers production side.

function StartMailProcess as c (e as p)

'connection and variables

Dim cn as SQl::Connection
      Dim args as SQL::Arguments
      Dim sqlCommand as c
      dim rs as sql::ResultSet
      dim pm as p

dim strvar as c
      dim ss as C
      dim res as C
      dim ts as C
      ss = "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "€" + crlf() + "�" + crlf()
      ss = ss + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf()
      ss = ss + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf() + "�" + crlf()

res = "é" + crlf() + "á" + crlf() + "´" + crlf() + "€" + crlf() + "Ç" + crlf()
      res = res + "Ä" + crlf() + "È" + crlf() + "É" + crlf()+ "Ë" + crlf() + "ç" + crlf()
      res = res + "Ï" + crlf() + "Ö" + crlf() + "Ü" + crlf()+ "ß" + crlf()
      res = res + "à" + crlf() + "â" + crlf() + "ã" + crlf()+ "ä" + crlf()
      res = res + "è" + crlf() + "ê" + crlf() + "ë" + crlf()+ "ï" + crlf()
      res = res + "ö" + crlf() + "ü" + crlf() + "ø" + crlf()+ "ú" + crlf()

dim MailProcessActive as c
      dim MailProcessInterval as N

flag = cn.open(Session.__protected__ConnectionString)

'create record in sysinportal if not already present

sqlCommand = "Select * from sysinportal"

flag = cn.execute(sqlCommand)
      rs = cn.ResultSet

flag = rs.NextRow()

if flag then

'Set status mailproces active unless stop command is given, and get interval

MailProcessActive = rs.data("SYSINPORTALMAILENACTIEF")

if isnull(mailprocessactive) then
      MailProcessActive = "X"

sqlCommand = "Update sysinportal SET SysinPortalMailenActief = 'X',DatumTijdMutatie = now(),MutatieDoor = 'Cptportal StopMailProcess'"

cn.execute(sqlCommand)

else
      if MailProcessActive == "X" then

'do nothing if the mailprocess is already active

StartMailProcess = "alert('Mailproces is al actief');javascript:location.reload(true);"

else

'if status mailprocess is "S" (to be stopped) set to null

MailProcessActive = ""

sqlCommand = "Update sysinportal SET SysinPortalMailenActief = null,DatumTijdMutatie = now(),MutatieDoor = 'Cptportal StartMailProcess'"

cn.execute(sqlCommand)

StartMailProcess = "alert('Mailproces wordt gestopt');javascript:location.reload(true);"

end if

end if

MailProcessInterval = int(rs.data("SYSINPORTALMAILENWACHTTIJD"))

else

'Should not happen: in the initialize event a record is created if sysinportal has no records

end if

while MailProcessActive == "X"

sqlCommand = "Select * from berichtenmail where berichtenmail_verzonden IS NULL"

flag_SendMail = cn.execute(sqlCommand)

rs = cn.ResultSet

flag_SendMail = rs.NextRow()

while flag_SendMail

if isnull(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_HTML_MESSAG")) then

'Fill email variables
      pm.From = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FROM")))
      pm.From_Alias = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FROM_ALIAS")))
      pm.To = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_TO")))
      pm.CC = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_CC")))
      pm.BCC = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_BCC")))
      pm.Subject = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_SUBJECT")))
      pm.Message = str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_MESSAGE"))
      'pm.Html_Message = e._currentRowDataNew.BERICHTENMAIL_HTML_MESSAG
      pm.Attachments = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_ATTACHMENTS")))
      pm.Xmailer = alltrim(str(""))
      'pm.Lrelated = rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_LRELATED")
      'pm.Date = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_DATE")))
      pm.Failure = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FAILURE")))
      pm.Headers = alltrim(str(""))
      pm.Success = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_SUCCESS")))
      'pm.ReturnReceipt = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_RETURNRECEI")))

'sent the mail
      flag = email_send2(pm)

if flag then

'Update status mail
      sqlCommand = "UPDATE berichtenmail SET BerichtenMail_Verzonden = 'X', mutatiedoor = 'Cptportal SendAllEmail',datumtijdmutatie = now() WHERE BerichtenMail_Id =" + rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_ID")
      cn.execute( sqlCommand)

else
      'do not update mailstatus if sending email was not succesfull

end if

're-initialize email pointer variable

pm.From = ""
      pm.From_Alias = ""
      pm.To = ""
      pm.CC = ""
      pm.BCC = ""
      pm.Subject = ""
      pm.Message = ""
      'pm.Html_Message = ""
      pm.Attachments = ""
      pm.Xmailer = ""
      'pm.Lrelated = ""
      'pm.Date = ""
      pm.Failure = ""
      pm.Headers = ""
      pm.Success = ""
      'pm.ReturnReceipt = ""

'goto next email record to mail
      flag_SendMail = rs.nextRow()

else

pm.From = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FROM")))
      pm.From_Alias = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FROM_ALIAS")))
      pm.To = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_TO")))
      pm.CC = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_CC")))
      pm.BCC = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_BCC")))
      pm.Subject = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_SUBJECT")))
      'pm.Message = rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_MESSAGE")
      strvar = rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_HTML_MESSAG")
      strvar = stritran_multi(strvar, ss, res)
      pm.Html_message = strvar
      'pm.Html_Message = rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_HTML_MESSAG")
      pm.Attachments = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_ATTACHMENTS")))
      pm.Xmailer = alltrim(str(""))
      'pm.Lrelated = rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_LRELATED")
      'pm.Date = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_DATE")))
      pm.Failure = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_FAILURE")))
      pm.Headers = alltrim(str(""))
      pm.Success = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_SUCCESS")))
      'pm.ReturnReceipt = alltrim(str(rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_RETURNRECEI")))

'sent the mail

flag = email_send2(pm)

if flag then

'Update status mail
      sqlCommand = "UPDATE berichtenmail SET BerichtenMail_Verzonden = 'X', mutatiedoor = 'Cptportal StartMailProcess',datumtijdmutatie = now() WHERE BerichtenMail_Id =" + rs.data("BERICHTENMAIL_ID")
      cn.execute(sqlCommand)

else
      'do not update mailstatus if sending email was not succesfull

end if

're-initialize email pointer variable

pm.From = ""
      pm.From_Alias = ""
      pm.To = ""
      pm.CC = ""
      pm.BCC = ""
      pm.Subject = ""
      pm.Message = ""
      'pm.Html_Message= ""
      pm.Attachments = ""
      pm.Xmailer = ""
      'pm.Lrelated = ""
      'pm.Date = ""
      pm.Failure = ""
      pm.Headers = ""
      pm.Success = ""
      'pm.ReturnReceipt = ""

'goto next email record to mail

flag_SendMail = rs.nextRow()
      end if

end while

'Update status email cycle
      sqlCommand = "Update sysinportal SET SysinPortalLaatsteKeerGemaild = now(),DatumTijdMutatie = now(),MutatieDoor = 'Cptportal StartMailProcess'"
      cn.execute(sqlCommand)

'Wait time between cycles
      sleep(MailProcessInterval)

'check / change Active status and cycle interval
      sqlCommand = "Select * from sysinportal"
      cn.execute(sqlCommand)
      rs = cn.ResultSet
      flag = rs.NextRow()
      MailProcessActive = rs.data("SYSINPORTALMAILENACTIEF")
      MailProcessInterval = int(rs.data("SYSINPORTALMAILENWACHTTIJD"))

'if status mailprocess is "S" (to be stopped) set to null

if MailProcessActive == "S" then

MailProcessActive = ""

sqlCommand = "Update sysinportal SET SysinPortalMailenActief = null,DatumTijdMutatie = now(),MutatieDoor = 'Cptportal StartMailProcess'"

flag = cn.execute(sqlCommand)
      if flag then

StartMailProcess = "alert('Mailproces gestopt');javascript:location.reload(true);"

end if
      else
      'do nothing if the mailprocess is already active

end if

end while

cn.close()

end function
      Ger Kurvers
      Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
      Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

I have an account that I have that sends 1500 to 1800 emails at a crack, all of which is done within the WAS. We have no negative problems with the WAS. The only delay we have is with the mail server. It would take an hour sometimes to run the full count, but that had a 1.2MB file attachment. Normal emails (with out large attachments) take 10 -15 minutes. Here is a confirmation message from the last run:

Your message for the *** communities has been processed. There were 1839 emails sent.

Message processing began at 06:56:50 and ended at 07:09:06
        Mike Reed
        Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Much appreciated. Ger - I have a script similar to the one that you posted. So its good to get some confirmation that I am moving in the right direction with the processing portion.

Steve - thanks for your explanation. Where I was getting confused was between actually sending an email and making a request via a third party to send an email where the work of actually sending the email is off loaded to separate server.

Mike - its good to see you can send that volume of email using the WAS. This may mean we can use a hybird approach of using the WAS for certain low volume emails and sending the heavier work to a 3rd party.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X