Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Print Report on printer local to server from remote location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Print Report on printer local to server from remote location

Would a solution with http://www.printershare.com/ acceptable?
    Ger Kurvers
    Alpha Anywhere / V4.6.1.9- Build 6488 (production) / V4.6.5.1 - 8722-5683(testing)
    Development: Mysql, windows 10 64 Applicationserver: standard on Windows server 2019

Comment

Originally posted by gkpurcey View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions Govindan.

Actually, the logmein option on the Ipad is not a bad one, as I believe they have an IPad app for their product...

Looks as if we may have to choose that method, as I am not finding anything on having a report print directly from the A5 server...

glad to be of some help.
      word of caution, however..
      with logmein you are using that computer, that means your movements will be seen also on that computer's screen since you are working on that computer while you may be on the train or plane. so it is important that no body is there at that location to interfere or if they are there then they should be informed that you will be working on that computer. but an advantage you can maintain that computer and all the programs. even turn it on as if you were sitting in front of it.
      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
      mysql backend
      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
      [email protected]
      1 914 924 5171

Comment

Good points...

Comment

Some postscript3 printers allow direct PDF printing via FTP (you simply PUT the PDF file). Another thing you may want to check out is printing via IPP, many printers support it. I have no experience with it though.
          Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions on this.

I was able to get this to work, primarily due to the contribution of another developer, Jim Coltz of A5CustomSolutions.com .

I print from two places in my application: One is a Web dialog component, the other is from a grid detail view. The expression to retrieve the key of the desired record differed slightly in the two locations.

First, I created an x basic function that would print a report from the A5 Server. Mine uses the server's default printer, although you could get fancier and probably generate a list of printers to choose from.

My function ended up very simple:

Code:
            FUNCTION PrintToOffice AS C (e as p)

'DESCRIPTION: Prints a service request to the A5server default printer.
            'Used in the add new SR dialog, and ServiceRequest Detail Veiw grid onclick -  both using "print to network office printer"  button event.

dim args as sql::arguments
            args.set("Sel_SR",e._currentRowDataOld.REQ_ID)  'Note: This is the function in the detail grid.  The function in my dialog used "e._currentRowDataNew.REQ_ID" to get the primary key of the desired record.

on error goto error
            report.Print("rsql_SRequest_Office@d:\A5Webroot\CCWeb\contacts.alb","","",args)

PrintToOffice = "alert('Report Sent to Office Nework Printer');"

end 

error:
            PrintToOffice = "alert('Error in Print Routine');"

resume next

END FUNCTION
            Then I created an action button (actually two action buttons, one in the grid, one in the dialog), and both did an AJAX callback to the "PrintToOffice" function.
            I ended up hardcoding the path to the contacts.alb file (this is where the SQL report definitions are located). There is probably a better way there, but this works for my situation.

The only other thing I did was to change the properties of my SQL report so that the "Show the Printer Properties Box" was unchecked.

The first couple of times, this code crashed the A5 server when executed. I discovered that when the A5 server runs outside of "Always UP" the report would print correctly. I ended up changing the properties of the startup function of the A5Server within Always Up so that it starts in an Administrator account, rather than the System Account. This made the report work properly.

Unless I am missing something, this seems to do exactly what I had set out to do, and I don't believe there is any huge security risk in doing so. If anyone sees something I don't see along those lines, please let me know.

Thanks again to Jim for the code he sent me.

Comment

Very nice. I think you have enlightened a lot of people. I can't see any problems with this if it is a secured private application.
              Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Fantastic piece of code. I was looking do achieve similar result but only from local network. Shall try to generate list of available printers on server and print to selected printer. Not sure if its possible to generate printers available on server.

I suppose if installed printers are IP printers (assuming installed on all pcs) we should be able redirect report to selected printer. Please share if anyone has manage to do it.
                Last edited by slamdunk; 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Hi gkpurcey,

Where did you change the properties of "Show the Printer Properties Box" ?

Thanks!
                  Last edited by slamdunk; 10-28-2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Found it.

Originally posted by slamdunk View Post
                    Hi gkpurcey,

Where did you change the properties of "Show the Printer Properties Box" ?

Thanks!

Comment

You might reach out to Nick Wieland here on this forum; he perfected this for one of his clients. However, I think Nick is right in the path of hurricane Sandy, so he might not be available until the coast dries out.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Has anyone else for this to work??? I am using V12 and I can not for the life of me get the solution as detailed in post #20 to work.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Comment

See this post which seems to be running parallel: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...light=printing

An interesting side note about Google Cloud Print: what if the question was, "how do I print to a printer NOT attached to my WAS server and not where I am located?" For example I am sitting in coffee shop on WiFi with my browser open to my favorite Alpha Five web app, and what if I wanted to print something to the printer sitting in my home office. I tested out the Google Cloud Print solution enough to know that would work -- I did print to my home office printer from the coffee shop, even though the Alpha WAS is in a ZebraHost data center.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
                            See this post which seems to be running parallel: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...light=printing

An interesting side note about Google Cloud Print: what if the question was, "how do I print to a printer NOT attached to my WAS server and not where I am located?" For example I am sitting in coffee shop on WiFi with my browser open to my favorite Alpha Five web app, and what if I wanted to print something to the printer sitting in my home office. I tested out the Google Cloud Print solution enough to know that would work -- I did print to my home office printer from the coffee shop, even though the Alpha WAS is in a ZebraHost data center.
                            Hi Steve,
                            yes I was playing with Google Cloud Print as well and I got it working well enough from my laptop but didn't get it working from the android tablet, but I didn't spend too long on it. My concern is with relying on print jobs floating around the cloud and eventually getting to the printer.

The client that we need a printing solution for is a Major Logistics company and we need the guys in the loading bay scanning pallets coming in and printing labels for them, then and there the process needs to be fast and solid. So what I found with my short play with Google Cloud Print was it was a bit a lag (not at all surprising!! considering what is happening. it is cool) But for a corporate client I think they would be more comfortable with a in-house and really more solid solution.
                            As you have suggested the save to a folder and then poll and print will be the best solution so far ... though I still hold out hope that there is a way to print from the WAS to a network printer.

Bruce

Comment

Working...
                            X