Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Five Uses Port 80 - How Do I Retain Webmail Access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Five Uses Port 80 - How Do I Retain Webmail Access?

I am new to Alpha Five and only recently secured my VPS to host the web application I am developing. Using IIS I have been able to develop the tempate I intedn to use for my main pages in HTML and am in the process of moving these pages over to Alpha Five. I think I can work trough that process pretty easily.

Today I went through the process of configuring the Alpha Five application server on my VPS. Having stopped the services that use port 80 and activating the Alpha Five application server, I have lost the ability to access my email through Webmail since it is HTTP.

If I run Alpha Five on another port, say port 81, will it still serve pages correctly when requested from the Internet?

If Alpha Five must be onport 80, then how do I change the port for Webmail? I am running Windows Server Standard.

Many thanks.

Re: Alpha Five Uses Port 80 - How Do I Retain Webmail Access?

I'm unsure what your running for Webmail but you SHOULD be running Webmail across https or Port 443. Webmail should never be run over port 80.

If you are running Exchange this book is really good.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...=as2&camp=1789
    Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 05-18-2012, 02:45 PM.
    Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

Comment

Originally posted by spacetanker View Post
      I am new to Alpha Five and only recently secured my VPS to host the web application I am developing. Using IIS I have been able to develop the tempate I intedn to use for my main pages in HTML and am in the process of moving these pages over to Alpha Five. I think I can work trough that process pretty easily.

Today I went through the process of configuring the Alpha Five application server on my VPS. Having stopped the services that use port 80 and activating the Alpha Five application server, I have lost the ability to access my email through Webmail since it is HTTP.

If I run Alpha Five on another port, say port 81, will it still serve pages correctly when requested from the Internet?

If Alpha Five must be onport 80, then how do I change the port for Webmail? I am running Windows Server Standard.

Many thanks.
      You can run the WAS on any port you choose. Just hyperlink a page into it, e.g., Put a link on a page on your website which is running on port 80 to a WAS page. If the WAS is set up to run on port 8080, the following link will open up index.a5w created using A5 where MyProgramFolder is where you saved all your stuff during development:

https://www.yourwebsite.com:8080/MyP...ault/index.a5w
      Regards,
      Chet Sapino
      President,
      SAPINO Enterprises
      6451 Pheasant Rd
      East Syracuse, NY 13057

Comment

Originally posted by cavj1 View Post
        I'm unsure what your running for Webmail but you SHOULD be running Webmail across https or Port 443. Webmail should never be run over port 80.

If you are running Exchange this book is really good.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...=as2&camp=1789
        cvaj1,

Thank you for the reply. The Webmail was configured - and working - through the Plesk panel that is part of my VPS servie package. When I initially performed the Alpha Five configuration I turned off only the web site related services reported as using port 80, but the server wouldn't start until I turned off the Webmail related services as well. I did not set up the VPS, and sadly I am a newby to the web server administration world. So, while Webmail should never be run over port 80, in my case the administration panel set it up that way and I haven't a clue as to how I would change it.

Comment

Chet,

Thank you for the information; it is good to know. I may be thinking Dreamweaver since I haven't done any exhaustive coding with Alpha Five yet, but that seems to mean manually editing every link to direct it to the WAS, rather than just letting the server do as it was designed. This is surely not the first time someone wanted to run Webmail and Alpha Five on the same server, so there has to be a way to have the Webmail on a different port. Thanks again!

Comment

Personally I won't run a web mail system and a webserver(any - not just alpha) on the same machine.

Too many potential conflicts..
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Matt:

Why would you want to send your email login credentials on a non-secured connection. Webmail should always be accessed via a secure connection (https ie port 443). This avoids making any changes to you A5 or other web pages. I do agree with Al that the webmail and webservers should be on different machines (or different VPS's).

Brad

Comment

I have a mail server that runs on the same machine as a5 webserver. I am not experiencing any problems. I am curious as to the argument against running WAS and email on the same server. My email server uses port 143 for imap 110 for pop3 25 for smtp I don't see any conflicts with WAS. I am always open to doing it better so if someone can elaborate I would much appreciate some tips.
                Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Frank:

Matt was using webmail NOT imap or pop3. This requires the use of either port 80 (not secure) or port 443 (secure). I wouldn't have as many concerns with a mailserver & webserver (a5) on the same machine - the problem comes with webmail.

Personally my mail server is on Linux and obviously A5 is on Windows so I must use 2 servers. I prefer to segregate mail activity for all a5 server activity for both security and performance.

Brad

Comment

Thanks I thought that was the case. I wasn't sure if there was some other security issues that I am unaware of.
                    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

My Server background is quite limited, so I am not saavy on "port-speak" at this point. Webmail was configured automatically by the server prior to my installation of Alpha Five and on port 80. I don't know how to change the Webmail configuration over to secure, but have added that issue to my long list of things to do.

Curiously, though I have turned off all of the port 80 services, the server is still handling mail. I am able to send and receive through my Outlook client even though I can no longer access Webmail. I'd like to have Webmail access again, though.

Comment

My Server background is quite limited, so I am not saavy on "port-speak" at this point. Webmail was configured automatically by the server prior to my installation of Alpha Five and on port 80. I don't know how to change the Webmail configuration over to secure, but have added that issue to my long list of things to do.

Curiously, though I have turned off all of the port 80 services, the server is still handling mail. I am able to send and receive through my Outlook client even though I can no longer access Webmail. I'd like to have Webmail access again, though.
                        How to change the port would depend on what mail server software you are using. MS Exchange is the most prevalent in the corp. market. With that said MS Exchange can and will be a pig when it comes to resources. If you are running Exchange and A5 WAS on the same box I would recommend separating these two. Exchange at a bear minimum will take up 1GB of RAM for the information store process (store.exe). That is just managing the mail databases (.edb and .stm).

If Exchange this is configured in IIS. Please see the link on the first my first response. This book is put together quite well and is easy to understand. If it is some other mail server software (Kerio, Zimbra, etc.) you would need to refer to documentation.

Joe
                        Never take a ride to the edge of your mind unless you've got a ticket back - Jon Oliva - Savatage.

Comment

Thanks Joe. I don't believe I am using Exchange, but will verify this weekend and consult the meager references I can glean for procedures on updating the appropriate software. If it is Exchange, I will likely switch it to something else based on your painting of the resources picture! Thanks.

Matt

Comment

Thanks Joe. I don't believe I am using Exchange, but will verify this weekend and consult the meager references I can glean for procedures on updating the appropriate software. If it is Exchange, I will likely switch it to something else based on your painting of the resources picture! Thanks.

Matt
                            You're welcome but please don't base your decision on resources alone. You must look at your business needs (needs analysis), TCO, ability to easily migrate data to another product, skill sets needed, backup/restore, etc. E-mail is the heart and sole of any business.

I've run and managed Exchange since 5.5(15+yrs). It is a pig but there are tons of material available on it and how to configure it properly. Exchange typically has the highest TCO on the market. You can use windows backup as it gets tweaked for Exchange when Exchange is installed BUT it is recommended to use other more robust backup products on the market. Recovery can be quite difficult in the time of a disaster or even if you have to restore one mailbox if you do not plan appropriately.

You will also need Exchange aware Anti-virus software.

I prefer to put a SPAM appliance in front of any mail server. The mail server should only concern itself with handling good mail and not waste resources swatting away SPAM.

For organizations with less the 15 mailboxes I recommend a hosted solution at this point. Why? They will handle the SPAM, Anti-virus, Backup/Restore solutions...this is important if you do not have the skill set to handle all of this yourself or the money to higher an outside contractor.

Recently I've been toying with Zimbra and Kerio. Both products look nice and seem to run well in a Virtual Environment. My biggest problem is Zimbra's lack of customer communication on there products. For that I would not recommend them. Kerio has been much better with getting back to me on questions and where the product is going.

These are only my experiences and a very high level overview. Hope it helps.

Comment

Working...
                            X