Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Image Gallery/Customer based Image Upload functionality and maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Gallery/Customer based Image Upload functionality and maintenance

Hello fellow Alphaholic developers,

I am currently building an application that requires Image Gallery functionality, been considering Alpha's Image Gallery vs building the functionality myself using grids. Done a bit on both equations already. But like always there are pros and cons to both approaches.

For this application the customer requires his designs be secure, nobody must be able to copy this pictures (at least must make it hard), for that reason alone, think the Alpha Image Gallery is better suited, thought a real hacker will probably find how to copy the customers designs, I have found it pretty well secure. on the other hand maintaining the upload and maintenance requirements of the Image Gallery is going to need lots work.

The image gallery configuration requires of a directory containing the full size images to be displayed with a maximum recommended resolution size of 1024px X 768px and a thumbs sub-directory with its images named the same as the full size ones at a recommended maximum size if 75px X 75px.

In order to display image information pertaining to an application you must build a table containing 3 fields;
    1. directory name field storing full size image directory name
    2. file name field storing a short file name of the image(eg. pic0001.jpg)
    3. a description text field to contain the HTML code to be display at user request

Here lies my dilemma, in order to make use of it in a serious application, maintainability must be addressed and that means I must answer these questions; we have to upload twice, using different resolutions to different folders, or create a batch process to handle complete folders and converting on the server side. The upload image action JavaScript available can modify resolutions, but it only works for a file at a time, too labor intensive, not the way to go. Must use the info database, since it allows HTML it is the only way to place a link to another page and transfer information out of the Image Gallery to the application for the cart, again looks like xbasic.

Just trying to clear my ideas and get some of your ideas here, has anyone dealt with this. The Image Gallery as it stands looks very attractive, but it has a rocky road to make it anything else than a pretty way to show off pictures.

Do not know why? But I always make thinks difficult on myself, suppose it be easier to simply use grids and find how to secure the right-click event.

Have a great weekend all, hope to hear from you soon... Juan
    Juan Silva
    My Small Bizz, LLC
    sigpic

Re: Image Gallery/Customer based Image Upload functionality and maintenance

Hi Juan,

This was a question I asked in V10 and Pete answered with a video.

Have look at this video

Hope this is what you are looking for.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Hi Keith,

Wish it did, but it does not even start. The video shows a dbf application using calculated fields to enlarge the display of the images, would love to have the availability of the calculated fields on the WEB/SQL environment, but we don't and it is out of scope to the problem I describe above.

Being able to show different size pictures is not the problem, storing then in the 2 resolutions needed by the Image Gallery component using a main folder and a sub-folder, named the thumbs sub-folder and storing the information on a table of picture locations is the mass of the work. I would like to include that maintenance operation as part of my application, so that web site owners can do the work themselves.

I am leaning towards creating a batch process for mass upload of these pictures into the server. It would look something like these steps.
      1. gather all image files to upload into a folder (the input folder)
      2. include a text control file with the names of images to be deleted from the folder
      3. upload the whole folder to the server
      4. loop 1
      5. delete image on the deletes control file from main folder
      6. delete image on the deletes control file from thumbs folder
      7. update/mark associated database records as orphan
      8. repeat loop 1 until eof
      9. loop 2
      10. convert input image file to resolution for main folder
      11. copy image with replace to destination folder
      12. convert image to thumbnail resolution
      13. copy image with replace to thumbs folder
      14. insert/update record in descriptions database table
      15. repeat loop 2 until no more files

Thanks, Juan
      Last edited by jmsilva; 07-28-2012, 09:22 AM.
      Juan Silva
      My Small Bizz, LLC
      sigpic

Comment

Juan,

I'm a bit confused now. Whose images are these that are to be displayed? Yours or your clients? Are there just images and no other data per image other than filename and location on the server? I really am having a time wrapping my head around what it is you are attempting to accomplish :) All the apps I have ever done, in any development environment, have all involved images in one way shape or form, including the two I am now doing in A5, so I am quite interested in how you are envisioning this as described. Please offer a bit more on the "reason" for the app as opposed to the "mechanics" for now :) If you are worried about giving "it" away, be general or use an analogy :) Although I am quite new to A5, I have had absolutely no problems getting images to do what I want them to do in A5, without the Image Gallery (although I do have it), and with Grids only :)

Cheers!
        Lyle
        Cheers!
        Lyle Chamney
        http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
        Websites rebuilt with WordPress
        http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
        Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
        http://snifflevalve.com
        WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

Originally posted by jmsilva View Post
          For this application the customer requires his designs be secure, nobody must be able to copy this pictures (at least must make it hard), for that reason alone, think the Alpha Image Gallery is better suited
          Not sure I get that? Alpha's image gallery requires that the images be in the webroot - where anyone can get at them.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

... a maximum recommended resolution size of 1024px X 768px
            In addition to what Peter said, at that resolution, "Print Screen" will do nicely
            Cheers!
            Lyle Chamney
            http://www.2ninerniner2.com/
            Websites rebuilt with WordPress
            http://goodcheapfastwebsites.com/
            Complete, ready to install WordPress websites
            http://snifflevalve.com
            WordPress training and tutorials

Comment

The images belong to a Jeweler that has his own exclusive designs and wants to make it a little harder for others to download his work. I know that anyone with a little computer knowledge or a program to copy monitor content can copy the images, but the customer always get his way. I did as Peter suggested and tried my own gallery using grids, worked really good after I got the hang of it (thank you Peter), but the customer did not like that when you right click on the pictures you get the option of saving then.

Peter, Alpha's Image Gallery component allows you to have your images anywhere as long as you have a parent folder with the full resolution pictures in it and a sub-folder containing the thumbnails (no thumbnail = no display), simply must set an argument pointing to the main folder, the resolutions mentioned above are Alpha's suggestions based on the IPad. I have 9 main folders already for different categories; rings, bracelets, earrings, etc...

The only other information displayed by the component besides the thumbs and the main images has to be stored on a table that contains at a minimum 3 fields. The name of the parent folder where the main images are at, the image file name and a description field which allows HTML. The plan is to have information about the jewels being displayed using the html contained on that field with a hyperlink on it to open the next page and process the clients add to cart request.

Believe me, if it was up to me I would just go with the grid, but you know another chance at learning how to do something new is always welcomed also...

Thanks you Guys,
              Juan

Latest update, spoke with the customer and he has accepted the grid, that is great news, thought I was willing, it was an uphill battle.

Thank you again Lyle and Peter...
              Last edited by jmsilva; 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM.
              Juan Silva
              My Small Bizz, LLC
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X