Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dialog - cerate an account for a new user - no user role

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialog - cerate an account for a new user - no user role

Hi,
    I've watched the video D_SF_1 now a large number of times and when I get the the end of the process 'working preview' allows me to enter a new user name and password correctly. The new user appears as in the Users and Groups genie, but no role is defined.

I thought this must be because the hidden 'UserRoles' control wasn't bound properly. I looked at the 'Data Binding - Specify Tables' dialog, expecting to see my websecurity.dbf table, but alas the table pane was bare! Selecting Table type = dbf failed to display the security tables. Probably as a result, the 4 fields (UserPassword, UserConfirmPassword, UserRoles and UserGuid) have no table alias or fields shown in the 'data binding' table. The 'UserRole' default value property is also blank - as I believe it should be.

I also tried creating the second of the web security dialoges - 'create new user account and add user information to an existing table.' In this example I also found difficulty in binding the fields. There is nothing on the videos about specifying the tables to which the personal data is going to be mapped. When I add my SQL connection string and attach the user table to the RegisteredUsers dbf table, I get the Error message below.

WebSecurityTableBindingError.PNG

I am using an Access backend, A5 V11 and have about 60 users already set up and operating happily on the web server. The problem has only arisen because I am now needing to change some user roles. I'm trying to get around having to import the server security tables for every user I want to change.

I've read a fair few other threads, some of which point to some elaborate solutions to custom set-ups. Mine is a very basic structure that doesn't deviate from the videos at all - no code whatsoever, and shouldn't need any special tratment (I hope).

Although this seems simple to write down, it may not be simple to follow. The video link shows the second data-binding error in another way.

http://screencast.com/t/Rlc3PwBacK0

Many thanks for any help from those who have gone here before. Malcolm

Re: Dialog - cerate an account for a new user - no user role

Hi Malcolm,

If I watched your video correctly, you show an sql connection string to the RegisteredUsers table which you say is dbf. That does not seem right to me.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Malcolm-
      I believe Keith is right. You need to delete the "RegisteredUsers" table then add your "RTLBDetails" table if that is where you are storing your user information. Then go from there.

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
      Hi,
      I've watched the video D_SF_1 now a large number of times and when I get the the end of the process 'working preview' allows me to enter a new user name and password correctly. The new user appears as in the Users and Groups genie, but no role is defined.

I thought this must be because the hidden 'UserRoles' control wasn't bound properly. I looked at the 'Data Binding - Specify Tables' dialog, expecting to see my websecurity.dbf table, but alas the table pane was bare! Selecting Table type = dbf failed to display the security tables. Probably as a result, the 4 fields (UserPassword, UserConfirmPassword, UserRoles and UserGuid) have no table alias or fields shown in the 'data binding' table. The 'UserRole' default value property is also blank - as I believe it should be.

I also tried creating the second of the web security dialoges - 'create new user account and add user information to an existing table.' In this example I also found difficulty in binding the fields. There is nothing on the videos about specifying the tables to which the personal data is going to be mapped. When I add my SQL connection string and attach the user table to the RegisteredUsers dbf table, I get the Error message below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34074[/ATTACH]

I am using an Access backend, A5 V11 and have about 60 users already set up and operating happily on the web server. The problem has only arisen because I am now needing to change some user roles. I'm trying to get around having to import the server security tables for every user I want to change.

I've read a fair few other threads, some of which point to some elaborate solutions to custom set-ups. Mine is a very basic structure that doesn't deviate from the videos at all - no code whatsoever, and shouldn't need any special tratment (I hope).

Although this seems simple to write down, it may not be simple to follow. The video link shows the second data-binding error in another way.

http://screencast.com/t/Rlc3PwBacK0

Many thanks for any help from those who have gone here before. Malcolm

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

If I'm correct, controls in the first of the dialogs which is intended to add a username and password to the security system need to be bound to the table where the username, passwords and security 'roles' are stored. I thought this was the RegisteredUsers.dbf table. But the data binding shows NO table and NO fields in this setup. I show this in the vid below.

The second security dialog captures data for both the security table and my 'users' table. The binding genie defaults to show the RegisteredUsers table (to which the Username, Password, Role and Guid are to be bound) and Ithink needs me to link my 'users table' so that I can bind other controls in the dialog to that.

It is here that I believe I need to make the SQL connection to my user table. This all seems pretty logical to me, but somehow not to Alpha. (My experience tells me who is most likely to be correct!)

I've again shown how I go through the setup for both dialogs in the linked vid. Can you see where I'm going wrong?

Thanks again for the time you spend on this - much appreciated.

http://screencast.com/t/oAS3UJDL

Comment

Malcolm,

It's been a while since I've looked at this, but as I recall the Username, Password, Roles, GUID should be unbound as this is handled through the Alpha security system.
          You need to tell these to be unbound with "Set selected fields to *unbound"
          I have a separate table that holds information I want access to such as username, Firstname, Lastname, etc.

Here are a few screenshots of how I have this setup:
          First I have a table called employees to hold info I want to see
          1. Employees table.png

I bind those fields in the dialog to my table and leave the security stuff unbound
          2. Binding.png

When I save the dialog, the security values are assigned in the server side afterdialogvalidate event
          3. Submit.png

And finally here's how I have it laid out in the Dialog
          1. Dialog.png

I hope this helps somewhat. As I say I did this quite some time ago, so it's not exactly fresh in my memory.

Stephen
          Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Oh, and here is the GUI as the user sees it:

GUI.png
            Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

Thanks for delving back into the archives Stephen. I've now got the dialog entering data into the Users table (via the SQL connection string) by removing the 'RegisteredUsers' table that popped up automatically, but somehow the dialog is still not binding to the security tables. The same is true for all three of the dialog set-ups when I work through the vids.

What you've got is where I'm heading! It looks great.

I'll keep exploring various options and hopefully will come up with some way of modifying user security - online.

Thanks again. Malcolm
              Last edited by Malcolm; 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Malcolm-
                I created a little video of going quickly, though not exhaustively, through setting this up. Though, it seems you have been able to add to your table. I'm not sure why it would add to your table and not the security tables though.

http://screencast.com/t/MXbldRSh696F

Originally posted by Malcolm View Post
                Thanks for delving back into the archives Stephen. I've now got the dialog entering data into the Users table (via the SQL connection string) by removing the 'RegisteredUsers' table that popped up automatically, but somehow the dialog is still not binding to the security tables. The same is true for all three of the dialog set-ups when I work through the vids.

What you've got is where I'm heading! It looks great.

I'll keep exploring various options and hopefully will come up with some way of modifying user security - online.

Thanks again. Malcolm

Comment

Thanks for that Chris, your vid has pointed me to where I think the problem is.

I worked through exactly the same steps as you've taken me through and the difference is in the 'databinding' of the Control Properties. The very bottom propert section of the UserPassword control - Data Binding - is missing several lines. It shows the Updateable box as unchecked, but the three other properties shown in your example; Table alias, FieldName and Null if blank are missing.

All the field binding detail is EXACTLY as shown in your example. It seems to be a case of security tables 'missing in action.'
                  More reading is needed. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Thanks guys,

all more clear, but If I would like to give the possibility to the administrator to create/modify/deleting users directly from the web app? without any intervention of the Alpha fivedeveloper ? (give too our clients a STAND ALONE web application ) It's not neccessary to implement something also for the web security members ?

Thank you
                    Cristiano
                    [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                    X