Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Keeps Reformatting my HTML code in .a5w pages. How do I keep my formatting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha Keeps Reformatting my HTML code in .a5w pages. How do I keep my formatting?

Hello everyone,

I have been working hard on my oil and gas web application and am excited to show it off soon. :)

I have a question about html formatting in .a5w pages. I am working hard to keep my code pretty and easy to read but Alpha keeps changing it. How can I keep my code intact?

For example,

I might have the following:

<table>
    <tr>
    <td>
    blah blah blah
    </td>
    </tr>
    <table>

When I open the .a5w page later I get:

<table><tr><td>
    blah blah blah</td></tr></table>

Thanks!

Re: Alpha Keeps Reformatting my HTML code in .a5w pages. How do I keep my formatting

I've had the same issue. I don't do a5w pages much, so I haven't worried about it, but I'd be interest in why it does this.
    Brad Steinfeldt

Comment

Re: Alpha Keeps Reformatting my HTML code in .a5w pages. How do I keep my formatting

Don't use the WYSIWYG editor -- don't even open it, look at it. Instead, use the Source tab all the time:

View / Settings / Preferences / HTML Editor / Default Tab value Source

When you can, there are a lot of reasons as well create your own UDFs in the Code tab, put your code into an AEX and just call the UDFs from the A5W page.
      -Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve,

That is what I am doing. I set my preferences to automatically open the HTML Editor instead. I never view in the WYSIWIG editor because that is what seems to rearrange the code.

Comment

I took your example and set it in an A5W page in code, saved, closed, opened in WYSIWYG, did that many times, and it did not reformat my code at all. Can you shoot us your entire A5W page to test the same?

I echo what both are saying, never use the A5W page unless necessary. Even when I insert a component I go to Source, place "XX" exactly where I want my component, go back to WYSIWYG, insert my component between the X's, then go back to Source and delete the X's. If I do otherwise, my DIV's are all screwed up.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I was having the same problems, that's why I edit the code with a 3rd party editor and then paste it to the source tab.
            When using tables in the WYSIWYG is when more problems arise... alpha even adds color to the table (borders and backgrounds). So as all other suggestions in this thread, don't use the WYSIWYG alpha editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
              I took your example and set it in an A5W page in code, saved, closed, opened in WYSIWYG, did that many times, and it did not reformat my code at all. Can you shoot us your entire A5W page to test the same?

I echo what both are saying, never use the A5W page unless necessary. Even when I insert a component I go to Source, place "XX" exactly where I want my component, go back to WYSIWYG, insert my component between the X's, then go back to Source and delete the X's. If I do otherwise, my DIV's are all screwed up.
              Steve,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the code example I used was not what I actually had. :) However, now that I stay away from using the WYSIWIG everything stays that way I left it.

Jose

Comment

I am astonished that folks would recommend to others not to use a feature built into Alpha5 since as long as I can remember but instead do a work around that prevents said feature from screwing things up as it always has. And many seem to be OK with that for an answer. Why then even have this WYSIWYG feature? Could it be one of the attractions for the NON-programmers out there that Alpha5 used to attract. YES, and that is me. I for one am pissed off that yet another major feature I use is bugged when I need it and the Alpha community doesn't hold Alpha5 more accountable. I have spent the better part of this evening updating my webapps from version 10 to version 11 only to be stumped by a feature that has worked since version 6 for me. I am told I can get the functionality back by using the pre-release and yet it comes with WARNING not to use for real development. Nice circular argument, use but don't use.

And this is almost 2 months since the last post on this topic and yet still not working. I am using the most recent 3381_4096 build available.

Any indication when a real update will be available that fixes this?

Comment

It seems they threw this in the garbage. In the last Release notes they posted they put the code editor as default and put the WYISWG as the secondary editor. That WYISYG editor is just the Microsoft Internet Explorer native editor it is not an Alpha built editor.

Comment

Working...
                  X