Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can NOT see or use GLOBAL VARIABLE in GRID via ARGUMENTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can NOT see or use GLOBAL VARIABLE in GRID via ARGUMENTS

Simple goal:
    1. define "application global variable"
    2. use the global variable (e.g. "vg_objlst_flag_ownerlimit") in grid button
    3. use an "argument" within the GRID to bring in the global variable
    4. then use the global variable within the GRID (in a button, filter, or otherwise)

Problem:
    • The "arguments" section does NOT have a GLOBAL option (only PAGE, SESSION, or COOKIE)
    • I've also tried using the global variable directly (presuming it is actually "global") but this doesn't work
    • the result is an undefined variable that throws an error
    • and yes, I've read a LOT of posts (all interesting) but I haven't yet figured this out

Alternate solution if available:
    • If there is a place to define SESSION variables in a fashion similar to "Application Global Variables" so the variable exists for the entire web-app, that would be just as good
    • A little later I'll make all these variable read/write from a table but I want to get this very basic/simple thing working first

I've read a lot about scope, global/session/admin and other variables. And there are lots of complicated solutions that mix events and Xbasic, but I would like to master "simple" before I move to "complex". On the whole it just seems odd that a "global variable" is in fact not "global" and immediately accessible from within a grid component.

This is likely simple, but I'm at the point where help/direction would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Define "Application Global Variable"
    20130402_A5v11_global_variable_question_01.png

Define "argument" in GRID... no "GLOBAL" option available
    20130402_A5v11_global_variable_question_02.png

Re: Can NOT see or use GLOBAL VARIABLE in GRID via ARGUMENTS

Argh. I've spent days reading posts and watching videos.

My conclusion is that:
    • A5v11 variable scoping is both less-than-obvious and generally awful
    • the best and only solution is to store and retrieve values from a table
    • ... which is covered both in A5v11 training videos and elswhere in this forum.
    • If I spend another evening @#$@ing around with global, session, and local variables I will need to go do something cathartic and positive for humanity like using my laptop to bash a politician over the head. Argh.

Comment

Yes, some little frustrations that Alpha throws your way.
      I guess because Grids came out before dialogs, I find that arguments in Grids aren't overly useful. I generally would recommend not using them for grids in your case.
      But as you have indicated, you have options. Here are a few:
      1) Set session var (publish in your grid so it is available client-side)
      2) Define a global javascript variable for use throughout your app. This can be passed back server-side as needed (e.g. via state vars)
      3) In server-side initialization events, define state variables.

I use session vars for some things, and I include a core.js file in all my components which defines application-like variables and contains all my custom js library functions.

But you are right, it really should be easier for such basic things as application variables.

Comment

Andy... In transitioning other coding skills to A5v11 for a specific project I am doing the typical drink-from-the-firehose information input. Every little bit helps. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Andy,

The variables you mentioned must be loaded and initialized at the beginning of every new session. What about a more permanent app server global variable that remains in memory and accessible throughout the lifetime of the App Server process? I do not want to load certain configuration settings from a local config file or from the SQL database every time a new session is started or a request is made to the web server. These are system-wide variable types and are in a different class than session or page variables.

From what I can tell, these are the App Server global variable types that remain in the App Server's memory:

1. App Server configuration file – These are defined in the ApplicationServerconfig.xml file. They are accessible throughout the system within the global namespace using the same name as defined in the config file.

2. Application Global Variables – These are defined in Web Project Properties and are project-specific. They are accessible throughout the system by adding the “AppVar” namespace in front of the variable names.

3. Application Variables – These are defined in Profile Settings and are profile-specific. They are accessible throughout the system within the global namespace using the same name as defined in the Profile Settings..

Can any of the global variable types above be initialized to a certain value and then changed to a new value and retain the new value for as long as the app server continues running? I understand how to use the session variables, state variables, and global javascript variables, but I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the different global variable types above.

Thanks
          Last edited by DaveF; 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Dave... I gave up. I work entirely from table-based variables at this point. The exception is the need to pick up security-related session variables from time to time. I use a function (javascript, ajax-callback, xbasic) to GET or PUT variables from my own table. It works every time, all the time. Granted, it would be slow if you had hundreds of them and lots of sessions I'm nowhere near that yet. Just trying to get my app fully realized in the mobile space and the back-end is so slow anyway that the hit from table-variable lookups is not even registering. Make first; tune later.

Comment

Alpha's global app variables are typically set from the control panel, and it is retarded that you can't overwrite these via xbasic code.
              But just mimic this by setting a session variable at login.
              I make use of the "repository" and its functions at times when setting some application-like session vars or other variables.
              It's not really a big problem in the scheme of things as you can easily work around app vars. However, it would be nice if you could simply set an app variable from anywhere and have it persist indefinately.

Comment

Thanks for your recommendations. I use the repository to store miscellaneous "stuff" that I need from time to time. I will experiment more with all of these variable types and see where it leads me. I might just put all of my system variables in the repository for now and take Allan's advice about optimizing later.

Comment

Working...
                X