Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Speedometer Chart Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer Chart Control

I have a customer who requested an application where one of the "charts" would display like a speedometer. It doesn't really have to look exactly like a spedometer. I'd just like to have a circle (or semi-circle) where, 0-33% is red, 34-67% is yellow or 68-100% is green (not sure of the percentages, but that the basic). I've attached an image showing a series of chart spedometers, just so that you get an idea of what it might look like.

If anyone has any experience designing an Alpha 5 chart (or other view) with that kind of control, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,
    Phil

Speedometer.png

Re: Speedometer Chart Control

I have no idea if this can be done with A5's internal charting or not, but I'm very familiar with FusionCharts. Their Angular Gauge would be nice here. I use this particular chart quite a bit.

http://www.fusioncharts.com/demos/gallery/#gauges
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve, thanks so much for the quick reply. I appreciate it very much. Those fusion chart gauges look great. My only question is how could I integrate one of those gauges into my grid, form or report, so that the gauge reflects the value? I'm not an XBasic expert (but I have a "subscription" so I have all of the feature packs). I'd gladly pay for the code that would embed gauge into my application... or if there's a video, etc. that explains it, that would be great.

Thanks for all the help you give to all of us that are learning Alpha 5.

With appreciation,
      Phil

Comment

Below is a complete set of code to emit an Angular Gauge onto an .a5w page. It may look like a lot of code to non-coders, but it's pretty simple once you start into it, and the FusionCharts site offers complete documentation. You'll notice the part I colored red that shows the return of a_Data. This particular chart only requires a single value, so you use Xbasic to establish that value; exactly how it's done depends on your app and design, but there are probably at least 5 ways.

Keep in mind too that FusionCharts display as flash files, with fallback to javascript. They don't offer much in the way of a printable graphic for reports -- for that you'd want to see about A5's graphics.

Code:
               <div align="center"" id="chartContainer">FusionWidgets will load here</div>
                <script type="text/javascript"><!--
                        var myChart = new FusionCharts("Charts/AngularGauge.swf", "myChartId", "225", "105", "0", "1");
                        myChart.setXMLData("<chart lowerLimit='0' upperLimit='5' " +
        						"gaugeInnerRadius='2' gaugeOuterRadius='52' baseFontSize='14' valueBelowPivot='0' manageResize='1' " + 
                                "numberSuffix='' showValue='1' >" +
                                "<colorRange>" +
                                "<color minValue='0' maxValue='2' code='FF654F'/>" +  
                                "<color minValue='2.01' maxValue='3.5' code='F6BD0F'/>" + 
                                "<color minValue='3.51' maxValue='5' code='8BBA00'/>" +
                                "</colorRange>" +
                                "<dials>" +
                                "<dial value='[COLOR="#B22222"]<%A5 ?a_Data %>[/COLOR]' baseWidth='15' topWidth='3' bgColor='000000' radius='49' valueX='25' valueY='22'  />" +
                                "</dials>" +
                                "</chart>");
                        myChart.render("chartContainer");
                // -->
                </script>
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure if this will apply to Alpha 5, as I haven't really tried the graphing tools...

In Excel a common method is to use the pie and donut charts to make speedometer/gauge displays. In it's simplest form you would make the bottom 50% white and adjust the top values to be the needle/display (there are quite a few tutorials on the internet if you want to investigate this further).

Comment

Hi Steve-

That looks like it will be excellent.

I created an a5w page to test it out, but the speedometer doesn't show up. For "test purposes", I replaced <%A5 ?a_Data %> with just a numeric value (just as a test so that I can see what it looks like), but when I "publish" the page, all I see is the message "FusionWidgets will load here" and the rest of the page is blank. In looking at the FusionWidgets documentation, I thought it had to do with the FusionCharts.js file and the "Charts" directory, so I placed that file into the "javascript" folder in the application's folder in A5webroot and I placed the "Charts" folder into the application's folder in A5webroot,as well. I even made a reference to that file in the "head" of my a5 page (see code below), but all I get is a white page with the heading. Does the .js file have to be "registered" in any way?

Anyway, I'll keep plugging away with the FusionCharts documentation, but if you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

I know this is an imposition on you and I really do appreciate your thoughts and your help. Thank you so much.
            Phil

<!doctype html>
            <html>
            <head>
            <meta name="generator" content="Alpha Five HTML Editor Version 11 Build 3381-4096">
            <!-- must use in order to make XP Themes render -->
            <meta HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" content="Yes" />
            <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
            <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
            <script type="text/javascript" src="fusioncharts.js"></script>

<title></title>
            </head>
            <body>
            <div align="center" id="chartContainer" "="">FusionWidgets will load here</div><script type="text/javascript"><!--
            var myChart = new FusionCharts("Charts/AngularGauge.swf", "myChartID", "225", "105", "0", "1");
            myChart.setXMLData("<chart lowerLimit='0' upperLimit='5' " +
            "gaugeInnerRadius='2' gaugeOuterRadius='52' baseFontSize='14' valueBelowPivot='0' manageResize='1' " +
            "numberSuffix='' showValue='1' >" +
            "<colorRange>" +
            "<color minValue='0' maxValue='2' code='FF654F'/>" +
            "<color minValue='2.01' maxValue='3.5' code='F6BD0F'/>" +
            "<color minValue='3.51' maxValue='5' code='8BBA00'/>" +
            "</colorRange>" +
            "<dials>" +
            "<dial value='25' baseWidth='15' topWidth='3' bgColor='000000' radius='49' valueX='25' valueY='22' />" +
            "</dials>" +
            "</chart>");
            myChart.render("chartContainer");
            // -->
            </script>

Comment

Hi Jacob-

Thanks for taking the time to write... I'll check it out and see if I can make that work for me.

Phil

Comment

Phil - your code works well for me.

1. Note that the javascript file should not be in the javascript folder, but in the A5Webroot folder, so you should move that.

2. Your code above doesn't have this at the end -- I don't know if it's on your page or not:

Code:
                </body></html>
                3. While the chart will work, you'll note that you specified a value of 25, but the example snippet here expects a range between 0 and 5 so it'll simply display a little oddly.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Steve-

Thanks so much for continuing to try to help. 3 frustrating hours later, I still can't get the widget to display in my application. I've tried dozens of permutations and used variances shown in FusionCharts' documentation, but, the best I could come up with is the "Fusion Chart will Display here" message with a blank white page.

I've attached a Word Document that will show you images of my a5w page as well as where I'm placing the FusionCharts javascript files.

I know this is a pain for you, but this is an opportunity for a decent project for me and this is the only missing piece before I can bid on it (otherwise I'd have given up long ago).

Any suggestions you can give (or if you want to send me elsewhere for assistance) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Phil
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do you have security on? Have you allowed for .swf in your security?

Web Security / Page Security / File Types Always Allowed

Also, I really can't tell for sure what you're doing with the webroot. In a "perfect" situation, you would have:

C:\a5Webroot
                    this would contain your fusioncharts.js

C:\a5Webroot\Charts
                    this contains your charts

You'll have to use this information to apply it to what you're doing -- I can't tell. Where are you located? We could do a Team Viewer session and get you fixed up.
                    Last edited by Steve Workings; 05-18-2013, 11:08 PM.
                    -Steve
                    sigpic

Comment

Phil,

This does not help in your current efforts but take a look at the video for a version 12 feature...

http://www.ajaxvideotutorials.com/V1...zationInUX.swf

Comment

Tom-

Thanks for sending that. Very exciting. I think it would have worked perfectly for what I need. I'm a subscriber, so it's just another reason to anxiously await the next version. I really appreciate your response.

Phil

Comment

Hi Steve-

"Yes," I do have security on and "Yes" I have allowed SWF files.

I tried all of the permutations of where to place the fusioncharts.js file(s). I should get an "E" for effort (but an "F" for success).

I appreciate your offer to do a Team Viewer session... I'm in Buffalo, NY and if you could spend a couple of minutes to help me out, I'd sure appreciate it.

Let me know when you can spare a couple of minutes for me.

Thanks so much.

Phil

Comment

Steve,

I have downloaded the trial version of FusionCharts and I'm trying to get it to display the chart you outlined in your code. Would you mind posting your xbasic code for the 'a_data' value? Thank you for the information you've shared so far. I'm struggling to find a good charting tool to supplement my Alpha projects.

Andrew

Comment

I don't visit the v11 forum very much, stumbled across this by pure chance. All you really need to do is get any value assigned -- how you do it is heavily based on your data and display needs. In the example below, every time a trainer spends *any* time with an animal, the interaction is recorded as a "session" and sessions get rated from 1-5. This Xbasic gets the average rating for the day for a specified animal.

Code:
                              dim cn as sql::Connection
                              dim args as sql::Arguments
                              dim rs as sql::ResultSet
                              dim a_data as n = 0
                              dim Rating as n = 0
                              dim Record_Ct as n = 0
                              cn.open("::Name::conn")
                              args.set("animal_id", convert_type(session.animalID, "N"))
                              args.set("sd", Facility_LocalDate())

sql = <<%a%
                              SELECT rating 
                              FROM SessionData
                              WHERE animal_id = :animal_id and session_type is not null and isnull(duration,0) > 0 and isnull(rating,0) > 0 and start_date = :sd  and void <> 1  and session_type <> '' and session_type <> 'Enrichment'
                              %a%

flag = cn.execute(sql, args)

if flag = .f.
                              	goto fEnd
                              end if

rs = cn.ResultSet
                              flag = rs.nextrow()

while flag
                              	Rating = Rating + convert_type(rs.data(1), "N")
                              	Record_Ct = Record_Ct + 1
                              	flag = rs.nextrow()
                              end while

a_Data = round(Rating / Record_Ct,1)
                              fEnd:
                              cn.FreeResult()
                              cn.close()
                              -Steve
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X