Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Anyone have any good Xbasic LOOP code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any good Xbasic LOOP code?

I'm trying to find someone who has some really good Xbasic LOOP code that traverses through a recordset. I've mostly worked with grids etc. but I have a special need to use raw Xbasic code to do a check on data contained in each record. I'm not up to speed with Xbasic and I'm betting that one of you sharper guys/gals have already written code that you use over and over again and are willing to share.

I come from other languages and can fully understand working code when I see it. However trying to start from scratch introduces all kinds of errors that could be avoided.

My needs are simple.
    - Code should use A5 convention for using a named connection
    - Code should use SQL command stored into var
    - Code should use ARGS
    - Code should use Execute command
    - Code should create a Recordset
    - A loop is needed to traverse from record 1 to record X (eof)
    - While inside loop - test field for value ie. city = "New York" - this condition is NOT part of SQL command

It's important that this code is actually working code ( please rename any private stuff ) and not psuedo code.

I'm trying to build a library of code that I can use over and over with simple minor changes. Your help would be
    greatly appreciated.

Re: Anyone have any good Xbasic LOOP code?

You'll find this useful:

http://www.downloads.alphasoftware.c...SQLTables.html
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Here is some sample code:
      Code:
      Dim SQL as c
      Dim conn as SQL::connection
      Dim args as SQL::Arguments
      Dim rs as SQL::ResultSet	

args.add("SomeValue",vSomeVar)

SQL = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE field = :SomeValue ORDER BY field"

conn.open("::Name::XXXXXXX")							
      flag = conn.execute(SQL, args)
      rs = conn.ResultSet
      conn.close()

rowFlag = rs.nextRow()		'The first row
      while rowFlag 
          txt = txt + "Lastname: " + rs.data("Lastname") + crlf()

rowFlag = rs.nextRow()
      end while

vText = conn.callResult.text
      vTitle1 = "FINI" 
      vMsg1 =  vText
      ui_msg_box(vTitle1, vMsg1,UI_INFORMATION_SYMBOL)
      Here is a more complex real world example:
      Code:
      function xbSelect as c (e as p)
      'debug(1)

Dim vCount as n
      vCount = val(e.checkboxRows.countChecked)
      IF vCount < 1
      	xbSelect = "alert('No rows were selected.');"
      	EXIT FUNCTION
      END IF

Dim vFilter as c
      Dim vItems as c
      For i = 1 to vCount
      	vFilter = vFilter  + "TimexDesc_Id = " + alltrim(str(eval("e.checkedRows.key" + i + "[1]"))) + crlf()
      next i

vFilter = alltrim(vFilter)
      vFilter = stritran(vFilter,crlf()," OR ")
      ''=========================
      Dim SQL as c
      Dim conn as SQL::connection
      Dim args as SQL::Arguments
      Dim rs as SQL::ResultSet	

'args.add("PartNum",vBomPartNum)
      'args.add("Part",vBomPart)
      'args.add("Qty",vQty)

SQL = "SELECT Item FROM bill_timexdesc WHERE " + vFilter

conn.open("::Name::XXXXXXX")							
      flag = conn.execute(SQL, args)
      rs = conn.ResultSet
      conn.close()
      vText = conn.callResult.text

rowFlag = rs.nextRow()		'The first row
      while rowFlag 
      	vItems = vItems + alltrim(rs.data("Item")) + crlf()
          rowFlag = rs.nextRow()
      end while

vItems = stritran(vItems,"'","")	''remove JS UN-friendly ' (apostrophe)
      vItems = stritran(vItems,crlf(),"\n")	''replace paragraph breaks w. JS friendly \n

vCode= <<%longstring%
      var po = {grid.Object}.getParentObject();
      var vDesc = po.getValue('D','INV_DESC');

if (vDesc == '')
        {po.setValue('D','INV_DESC','xxxxx');}
      else
        {po.setValue('D','INV_DESC',vDesc + '\n \n' + '---New Entries--- \n' + 'xxxxx');}

{grid.Object}.closeParentContainer();
      %longstring%

vCode = stritran(vCode,"xxxxx",vItems)
      xbSelect = vCode
      end function
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Couple things to add to Peter's example:

1. Use args.set(), not args.add(). The former will re-use an existing arg or create a new one as necessary.

2. Don't forget to close the connection.

3. I had one customer using MySQL who was constantly running out of connections. Though the documentation says it's optional, I always use a conn.freeresult() now, which solved that problem.

4. Comment, comment, comment. It may look plain, simple and "everyone can understand that" now but 6 months from now, esp. if it's evolved, you'll be glad you commented.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Hi Steve,

Actually these days I do use args.set. Also I think conn.close() is in both examples. I like to close as soon as possible - after I grab the result set. "conn.freeresult()" - thanks for the tip!
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
            Hi Steve,

Actually these days I do use args.set. Also I think conn.close() is in both examples. I like to close as soon as possible - after I grab the result set. "conn.freeresult()" - thanks for the tip!
            To Peter and Steve,

Just to be clear!!!! Are your saying that in Peter's example :

args.add("SomeValue",vSomeVar) should be changed to
            args.set("SomeValue",vSomeVar)

If so can we then stack these like :

args.set("SomeValue2",vSomeVar2)
            args.set("SomeValue3",vSomeVar3)
            args.set("SomeValue4",vSomeVar4)

Has args.add() been deprecated and should I go back into my code and change existing syntax?

Also, I am not clear as to the diff between conn.close() and conn.freeresult() and WHEN they should both be used in the code.
            In other words "use conn.close() right after ..." and/or "use conn.result() right after ..."

Thanks

Tom W.

Comment

Tom,

I used to use args.add() until I discovered args.set(), but frankly I can't tell the difference in practice. I don't believe args.add() is deprecated.

See the WiKI on conn.freeresult():
              http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/SQL+Co...esult+Function'
              Sounds like it's not something you ordinarily need to call.

I always close my connection after completing an operation. Once you assign the result-set to a variable you can close the connection if you no longer need it open for other purposes.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

args.add() is not deprecated, as Peter points out. But there's no need for it -- just use args.set().

When I was first learning, I always used args.add() when I was first setting a particular arg, and then args.set() any successive time. But it's easier and works fine to just use args.set() all the time. I am replacing my old args.add() whenever I run across it, but it's only because I'm there.

My order of call is:
                cn.freeresult()
                cn.close()

I'm sure I decided a couple years ago to do it in that order but can't tell you why right now.
                -Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Steve and Peter,

Your replies have brought me a long way towards a clearer understanding. I have already implemented your suggestions and they work just fine.

Tom W.

Comment

I've found this very helpful, thank you all above.

I have a loop where I am:

1. Opening the connection
                    2. Gathering info / arguments with various if / then criteria
                    3. Running the SQL statement
                    4 Loop back to 2
                    5. Close the connection

I'm also using Args.Add, so I'll switch to Args.set

My callback takes a long while, is it be more efficient to open and close the connection at the end of each loop?

Robin

Comment

Just wanted to make a note about what I do. I was looking through the code above and noticed there was no error checking in any of it. (Or none that was inline in the code)
                      If I'm running more sql commands after that. I'll do a .freeresult() instead of a close, so I can re-use the connection.
                      Code:
                      dim cn as SQL::Connection
                      if cn.open("::name::XXXX") then
                      	if cn.Execute(sql,args) then
                      		dim result as sql::ResultSet
                      		result = cn.ResultSet
                      		cn.close()
                      	else
                      		error = "Error: SQL Command not executed"
                      		cn.close()
                      		end 
                      	end if
                      else
                      	error = "Error: Can't connect to Database"
                      	end
                      end if

while result.nextRow()
                      	'Do things for each row
                      end while
                      Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
                      3. I had one customer using MySQL who was constantly running out of connections. Though the documentation says it's optional, I always use a conn.freeresult() now, which solved that problem.
                      I also had this problem, about 2 years ago (in v10), but I recently went through a major refactoring (in v11) and using .Close() seems to actually close the connection now. Must have been a bug fixed somewhere along the line...

Comment

Code:
                        'I personally prefer keeping an error/error_msg variable in all my scripts/functions instead of killing the script on error, 
                        dim conn as SQL::Connection
                        dim error as L=.f.
                        dim error_msg as C=""

if conn.open("::name::conn") then
                            dim sql as C="SELECT * FROM table WHERE id=:id"
                            dim args as SQL::Arguments
                            args.set("id",idVariableValue)
                            if conn.execute(sql,args) then
                                  'you can store the resultset by doing   rs=conn.ResultSet , then below you would use while rs.NextRow() and rs.data("countryField")
                                  'this is only necessary if you need to execute other sql statements in the loop because conn.ResultSet will be overwritten when you execute another sql statement
                                  while conn.ResultSet.NextRow()
                                      dim email_sent as L=.f.
                                       if upper(conn.ResultSet.data("countryField"))=="CANADA" then 'case insensitive search 
                                                'do some processing , send an email, whatever
                                                email_sent=sendSomeRandomEmail()

'stop processing if any email fails
                                                 if email_sent==.f. then

error=.t. 
                                                          error_msg="Could not send email to: "+conn.ResultSet.data("customer_id") 
                                                          exit while
                                                  end if
                                       end if

end while
                                  conn.FreeResult()
                            else
                               error=.t.
                               error_msg="Could not load records"
                            end if
                            conn.close()
                        else
                             error=.t.
                             error_msg="Could not open connection"
                        end if

if error==.f. then
                         ?"Process Complete"
                        else
                         ?"Error Occurred: "+error_msg
                        'handle error, send error email to admin, log the error in the database - whatever you want to do
                        end if
                        Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
                        REA Inc.
                        http://reainc.net
                        (416)-533-3777
                        [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                        If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
                        contact us to discuss options.

Comment

ARGS.ADD() vs ARGS.SET()

args.add("myarg",1) <<will add myarg1
                          args.set("myarg2",2) <<will add myarg2
                          args.add("myarg",3) << I believe this will fail because myarg has already been added
                          args.set("myarg',3) << will set the value of :myarg to 3
                          Scott Moniz - Computer Programmer/Analyst
                          REA Inc.
                          http://reainc.net
                          (416)-533-3777
                          [email protected]

REA INC offers consulting services, programming services, systems design, database design, third party payment gateway integration (CHASE, PAYPAL, AUTHORIZE.NET) and developer support.
                          If you need custom code, or 1-to-1 mentoring in any facet of your database/web application design,
                          contact us to discuss options.

Comment

Working...
                          X