Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WAS intermittently not responding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAS intermittently not responding

Having a problem with the WAS intermittently not responding for 10-30 seconds (Launched our app in May and always had this problem). Here is our configuration.

Load balancer running SSL
    4 servers each running 5 instances of WAS.
    Each server has 13 cores and 24gb ram
    Version 3678-4158 (Development copy and all WAS versions match)
    WAS also running SSL thru port 443
    Keep-alive enabled (Max requests 10, Max timeout 15)

We have multiple instances during the day of the WAS temporarily not responding. Sometimes the site won't come up for 10-30 seconds (including sometimes receiving a Web Page not Available message) and sometimes users are in the app and it hangs. If you click refresh 10-30 seconds later it then responds and seems to work fine. This is intermittent across all 20 instances of the app.

Interestingly, if I check the session folders, this happens when there are only 5-10 sessions as well as when there are 25 open sessions. Have also been on a WAS instance with 20+ session folders without having any problems. Have watched the CPU cores and there don't appear to be any abnormally long processes running.

Am happy to provide any additional info that would help provide insight into this issue.

Re: WAS intermittently not responding

Jay,

Any resolution? I wanted to bump this back up if not. The only path to a solution I know is to observe the server stats during a down time and come up with possible reasons for the down time. It may be a lack of resource like memory, or it might be a particular customer running a report, or export, or system backup, or spider hit, etc.? BTW, session folders are not necessarily a measure of concurrent users, they stick around until the session expires, which could be some time after the user has left. Also, hits by search engines create a session folder as well.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hello Jay,

How many concurrent users logging into the web site at peak time? Is the database engine installed on a separate VM?
      If you resolved this problem please let us know what you did to fix it.

Regards,

Doron
      The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.
      732-536-4765

Web site: http://www.dFarber.com
      Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
      Convert Ms Access to Web
      MS SQL Remote DBA

Comment

The problem is not yet resolved but am working with Alpha to try to figure it out. One possibility seems to be that we are running too many instances per server. Another issue we are looking at is having SSL at the load balancer level and using port 80 on the WAS's.

Using MySql on a dedicated server. According to our load balancer peak connections are 160 (accross all 25 instances, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we have optimum balancing. Am currently working on getting advice from the company that makes the load balancer that ZebraHost is using).

Comment

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the update. Let us know when it is resolved.

Regards,

Doron
          The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.
          732-536-4765

Web site: http://www.dFarber.com
          Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
          Convert Ms Access to Web
          MS SQL Remote DBA

Comment

I'm having the same issue after upgrade to v12. Never happened before the upgrade. I'm using MS SQL on a dedicated server. WAS on a dedicated server. I have 12 users max at any one time. The users are rebelling! I have SSL on port 443. Could SSL be the issue? I'm not sure where to look next.

Comment

*Update* This is for v12 server. I set the sessions to last for eight hours. The first user in started at 7:30 this AM. I told everyone that we should see problems at 3:30 PM. Sure enough when that session timed out everyone else had to pause and wait for the server to respond. About 5 mins. It seems like all the sessions are somehow linked... Any experts out there?

Comment

Lee,

Makes no sense at all. Sessions are not tied together, they are unique by user (browser really). I wonder if this is a programming problem where that user (the one whose session just expired) tries to continue their work and triggers an action because their session variables now do not exist.

Also, you might start a new thread if this continues, and leave this thread to Jay to until his problem is solved.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, I am having the same problem with my WAS.
                  Port 443 - SSL - Handles ONLY a5w pages.

I am constantly restarting the server 2+ times/day.

It starts out at around 60MB on launch, and appears to have problems at 170+MB.

No Errors! Just unresponsive.
                  Rapid Development, Training, Support
                  http://data2web.network
                  903-740-2549

Comment

A lot of systems have the creeping memory issue. Typically it can be resolved by observation, and isolating, then "fixing" whatever is trigger the increase in memory usage. You should check to see if the total memory is maxed out when Alpha is at 170MB.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

RESOLVED

First a correction - we evidently did not have SSL on the load balancer, only on the app servers.

Fix - move the ssl certificates to the load balancer and run the app servers without SSL thru port 80. (Side note: ZebraHost said that the SSL certificates would need to be re-issued so we chose to purchase a new one - rather than cancel the existing one and re-issue it - so that we would have little risk of downtime)

Late Mon night/Tues morning (12:30am) we shut down our site and did the re-configuration. Now all app servers are running without SSl through port 80. We also had to add a re-direct on IIS (http to https).

Unknowingly, we also somehow managed to drop 9 of our instances from the load balancer so, all day Tuesday, we were running with 16 WAS instances instead of 25. Discovered this on Wed and added 4 back so we are now running 20 instances (but will probably slowly reduce this as well).

I have our site monitor service pinging all 20 instances with a 20 second time out. I have had 100% up time since this re-configuration and the site responds faster as well. On Tuesday we had over 4,200 users connect with not one notice of non-responsiveness (and only 16 instances). This is compared to 1,500 - 2,500 users per day from the past Fri/Sat/Sun when we had 6-8 non-responsive notices per day (and were running 25 instances)

Conclusion, anyone running with SSL should seriously consider taking it off the app servers. If you need SSL then you should pay for a load balancer and run SSL there, even if you are only running one app server.

Also, Alpha is aware of these results.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                      X