Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Get Application Server to Automatically direct to a folder on Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Get Application Server to Automatically direct to a folder on Server

I'm not familiar with that function of IIS, so I'll have to leave it to someone else to direct you. The method I described previously is working for me.

Comment

Yes, you can use the IIS URL Rewrite reverse proxy feature. I am running IIS 8 on Windows Server 2012 ver 6.2. on a virtual server with an SSD drive. I have set up the alpha server to run on a port that is not available to the public. You can use any port number port number above 1023 (see here).
      You can set up reverse proxy in IIS using this procedure:
      I have not needed to use any outbound rules.
      If you are using one server or virtual server you can specify the location for reverse proxy like this:
      COMPUTERNAME:4923
      where you have the computer name followed by the port number. In the Alpha Five Web Applicaton Server, set the server to run on the port that you have chosen.
      There are several advantages to this set up:
      1)You can run multiple domains, i.e. www.example1.com, www.example 2.com, www.example3.com, etc on one instacnce of Alpha Five. This is much better than using web forwarding if you want to preserve the search engine value of each separate domain. See this article
      2) You can run a separate SSL certificate for each domain, using IIS 8 Sever Name Identification (SNI) See this article
      This is not compatible with Internet Explorer on Windows XP, but I have found that only 1% of users on my website are currently accessing the site using Internet Explorer on Windows XP, and this number will drop over time.
      3) You can run both non-sercure and SSL pages on one instance of Alpha Five WAS that is not secure. The SSL certificates are installed on the IIS front end. When you set up the reverse proxy, be sure to check "Enable SSL offloading". SSL requests will be handdled by the non-SSL Alpha Five WAS. SSL will be handled on the front end by using a an https link that causes the IIS front end to use SSL.
      You have to be sure that you make your Alpha Five WAS session use www.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com, but not both, as the change of session will cause the use of the SSL link to fail (a new session will be set up on the WAS) This is easy to do with IIS; in our case, we make http://urbangrocery.com forward to http://www.urbangrocery.com by setting up a site in IIS that has a permanent 301 redirect to www.urbangrocery.com.
      I have received a couple of very rare 502 errors where a request to the backend fails, such as when clicking on a link. I am not sure of the reason for this, but trying again right away works.
      Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Comment

In post #11, you have to use the web forwarding provided by some domain registrars or by DNS providers like DNS Made Easy; you cannot just directly enter a subfolder in an A record
        Last edited by richardurban; 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM.
        Richard Urban

Grocery Delivery Software for Stores and Entrepreneurs: http://www.urbangrocery.com

Comment

Update. Instead of using an internal port on your computer, like 4356 to run an instance of Alpha Five for reverse proxy, use an IP address, like 77.788.97.95/foldername, where the IP is bound to an instance of the Alpha Five WAS. That does work, and for some reason is twice as fast as running Alpha Five on an internal port like 4356. Just put the folder name after the IP Address when setting up the reverse proxy. I found that this uses little or no overhead; it is almost indistinguishable in terms of speed compared to running your site directly on that IP address without the reverse proxy.
          Richard Urban

Comment

Originally posted by richardurban View Post
            Update. Instead of using an internal port on your computer, like 4356 to run an instance of Alpha Five for reverse proxy, use an IP address, like 77.788.97.95/foldername, where the IP is bound to an instance of the Alpha Five WAS. That does work, and for some reason is twice as fast as running Alpha Five on an internal port like 4356. Just put the folder name after the IP Address when setting up the reverse proxy. I found that this uses little or no overhead; it is almost indistinguishable in terms of speed compared to running your site directly on that IP address without the reverse proxy.
            On my new server I have set up multiple instances using ports instead of IP addresses. I use the local host IP address plus the port number when setting up the reverse proxy in IIS, and that is working well as far as speed. See the posts above about setting up reverse proxy. It is best to set one instance for each website; on my new server, for some reason, using a subfolder in the reverse proxy to a subfolder caused errors. Rather , have the reverse proxy point to the root folder that is specified in the server instance for that particular domain. By using ports plus IIS reverse proxy, there is no need to have a separate IP address for each instance. The URL rewrite looks like this
            Code:
            http://127.0.0.1:1537/{R:1}
            Richard Urban

Comment

Richard,
              In your reply you mention how to set it up for multiple websites.
              I am interested in multiple instances to service 1 website.
              How would you go about doing that?
              Thank you.
              Calyxte
              PS I have been to your urbangrocer website and it seems pretty quick. Are you using multiple instances to serve that website?

Comment

Originally posted by calyxte View Post
                Richard,
                In your reply you mention how to set it up for multiple websites.
                I am interested in multiple instances to service 1 website.
                How would you go about doing that?
                Thank you.
                Calyxte
                PS I have been to your urbangrocer website and it seems pretty quick. Are you using multiple instances to serve that website?
                www.urbangrocery.com runs on one instance. Other sites run on the other instances.
                Richard Urban

Comment

Working...
                X