Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Phone Gap Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone Gap Build

I have owned just about every version of Alpha Five(and a Alpha Four) through version 11. Although I have created some applications many years ago I consider myself more of a hobbyist. The cost of upgrading has become to costly for me anyway. I recently began working for a Non profit organization that supplies clothes and food for many shelters, food banks etc. I work in a warehouse that uses a clip board system to track(just as Dan Bricklin spoke about in his pod cast) just about everything. They then transfer that information to Word documents stored in Drop box. That information is finally transferred to an Excel spreadsheet. A web application won't work in this environment and the organization has a really limited budget. I thought I could build a native application using phone gap and install it on Android tablets because of the much lower cost per unit. I am not exactly a novice but haven't had much experience building web applications. The phone-gap demos seem somewhat confusing and I'm not sure I can afford the cost of upgrading to ver 12 since I'm paying for this myself. Just wondering about experiences of others who have used phone gap to create native Android applications. I have seen only two other applications (that are not cloud based and non coding ) for creating Android applications. Their cost per unit is over my budget too. Too bad Alpha doesn't have and option like File maker Pro which includes a free File maker Go application for the I pad. My last option is to use Hand-base which I used to for my Palm many years ago. I can install Drop box on the tablet or sync files using their Desktop software. I think it will work for my needs by I still perfer a Alpha solution.

Re: Phone Gap Build

Perhaps there is the option for non profit organisations to receive discount send a mail to Richard Rabins.

Comment

Frank,

Here's what you need to know. The phone Gap part is easy, really. At least once you understand it. Not to mention, Bob Moore has done an outstanding job of documenting it. Building the mobile app is challenging in that you have to learn a lot of new stuff. You also need to understand basic concepts such as the web being a disconnected model. Sounds like you do. There are a couple of caveats to the mobile thing. One is that you aren't building a true "native app". In order for it to work, you need connectivity when you first launch the app. The other is, if you need to do any Ajax callbacks, by definition, you need connectivity. Then again, mobile apps are grounded in the idea of being connected to the web, so...
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

personally,
        I would insist a web application can work in this environment - no butts about it. Even on a limited budget, it can be done.
        What is interesting is that in the end they utilize the web. The real crux is cost. I would suggest a fund raiser to get a website together with an app to run the organization and to accept donations - this can be a platform to sell advertising on. Make it happen if you can! Good luck!
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

The idea that it is possible as Charles mentioned is correct. Also to use Alpha for that like Peter says they did good work with the Phone Cap build but if there is no cash then that is a fact. So if you can't effort that even with fundraising the alternative is that you use free code by opensource. If you have knowledge of programming by experience as a hobbyist and need a website + offline apps LightSwitch Community from Microsoft is a alternative. It is easy to learn works like a RAD tool as Alpha BUT do not compare it will have the same functionalities as A5V12 that is not realistic. For a middle average of users it will do the [simple]job. Not tested on Android and for PhoneCap that is less less easier then with A5V12. Fundraising is the answer so it seems Offline apps are hot and expensive even A5V12 is the best and available tool with a low price. Best of luck with your project.

Comment

On the other hand you could build front end with Intel xdk (totally free) and backend with Alpha version 11.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions . I never really thought about fund raising. I have only been working with the organization a few weeks. Like most, database junkies , I see work in process and automatically think " Hey this could be much more efficient if only they .....!" I even thought about creating the to application run on a desktop with a touchscreen like a POS system. It would work in this situation but a tablet would be optimum. I could probably put that together in a few weeks even with my limited knowledge. I guess I should download the demo and see just what exactly what skills will be needed. I got involved with Alpha many, many years ago. I created a (by today's standards ) a simple application that saved the company that I worked for a quarter million dollars. I did this with no experience. I didn't even know what a database was. I was able to use the hands on knowledge of my business to build something better and in less time than the IT dept.My goal is to create a application that could maybe yield similar results. Simple to install, easy to use and monitor.
              Last edited by Pureeman; 03-30-2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

If someone is interested using PhoneGap with Alpha version 11 here is quit new introduction video form Intel (PhoneGap Day US 2014) using Intel XDK.
                In Intel XDK there is build in support (frontend) for Intel's own App Framework, Bootstap 3, JQueryMobile and Adobe's Topcoat.

You can use Intel XDK also to build normal web pages to use with Alpha ver 11.

Comment

Working...
                X