Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multiple Domains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Domains

Hello Rick,

I just finished reading a post you made to this message board concerning hosting multiple websites on same server using Alpha's WAS to redirect to proper folder.

Have you found a solution to this problem?

I'd be most grateful to you if you could point me to a link that details how to do this.

Thanks very much,
    Steve Hood
    TriNav Group of Companies

Re: Multiple Domains

Yes, I'm interested also, in getting multiple domains pointing to different folders, Thanks in advance.

Comment

Multiple domains where two of the domains are just normal static sites and the third is an alpha site is the problem I am fighting with too. I don't know how to set-up the situation where a web user enters the domain to my aplhasite and it successfully responds. I really hope there is an easy quick answer out there.

-Jonathon-

Comment

Read Ths Post: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=73676
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

It seems to me that this should be pretty straightforward. Let's suppose you have 3 folders under your webroot that are the 3 different sites that you want to host. The url to each site would simply be:

http://64.14.23.161:8080/folder1

http://64.14.23.161:8080/folder2

http://64.14.23.161:8080/folder3

where 64.14.23.161 is the ip address of your server (substuitute your actual ip aqddress), 8080 is the port that you opened, folders 1 thru 3 are the 3 sites.

Gary
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

You could use Masked Forwarding: With it, you are able to forward your domain to any URL that you would like. The true URL of the web site does not appear in the address bar of a users browser and the domain name being forwarded appears in its place.

You could forward www.domain2.com to http://www.domain1.com/domain2 but only www.domain2.com would appear in the browser address bar.

If your domain registrar does not offer masked url forwarding our registry does.
            Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
            Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

But what would appear in the title bar. I tried masking, and it seemed to have trouble putting what I want in the title bar at the top of the page, if I also wanted to control what url shows in the address bar. Also, isn't "masking" not proper, or am I wrong about that?

Gary
              Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary:

With our url redirection service you can not only set the Title but also the Meta Tags.

If you are redirecting to content that is relevant to the domain name I don't see why it would be improper. It is not as if you are masking another domain name for some ulterior motive.

You could forward to:

http://ipaddress/site1 from site1.com
                http://ipaddress/site2 from site2.com

where ipaddress is the same for both.

Clive
                Affordable Alpha Five, PHP, MySQL Hosting.
                Serving Webmasters since 2000.ZebraHost

Comment

Gary,

Think of it this way. You have an ip address. you can have 5 different domain names pointed at it and you can have each domein name redirected to where you need that user to go. the car dealer goes to his website folder, while the junkman goes to his folder. They do not need to know that the other exists even.

Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for the clarification guys.

How do I transfer my domain name(s) over?
                    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

This is the way I understand it and do it. You can only have 2 core domains with Alpha. One can be at the normal IP for HTTP
                      the other can be available for the HTTPS

All other domains would point to the same HTTP

the HTTP only will have one index.a5w or index.htm file
                      and the HTTPS will have one index.a5w or index.htm file

If you have other domains pointing to the HTTP IP, they will share one index.a5w file. Their only can be one index file. But you can have them all have as many files or pages as you want.

or you can do what has already been suggested, have different extensions or folders. But still each domain shares the same primary index.a5w file. Each folder can have it's own primary index file.

I've been hosting my other domains [.com] at other servers and having them point to my alpha forms pages whether they be secure or unsecure pages.

One way is to do the following for unsecure pages [have alpha us the .net or .org version of your domain]

www.ink5.com pages point to www.ink5.net/page1.a5w + other pages
                      www.frodo.com pages point to www.frodo.net/page2.a5w + other pages
                      www.bilbo.com pages point to www.bilbo.org/page2.a5w + other pages

but if someone types in www.bilbo.org, they will see the same index page as if they typed in frodo.net

but if you are promoting the frodo.com, that is what they will search for, you can even promote the other frodo.net pages on the internet, just keep the logo header the same as frodo.com so that is what they remember.
                      -------------
                      For secure pages, I use a generic domain for all my https pages, like mightysecure.com [example] and point from my other pages to the secure page on alpha.

www.bigsby.com order form points to https://mightysecure.com/bigsby.a5w
                      www.pickles.com order form points to https://mightysecure.com/pickles.a5w
                      www.money.com order form points to https://mightysecure.com/money.a5w

or go to Zebrahost and let them host your many domains.

what does everyone else say?

Comment

For the past 1.5 years I have had two non-Alpha sites (see top 2 links below) with Zebrahost. My Alpha project is close to completion and I will host the project with Zebrahost as well. When I do, I will close these 2 current sites and have Zebrahost point their domains to my Alpha site.

With another host, I have about 50 domains pointed to a different site project.
                        Last edited by EricN; 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM.
                        Eric

Alpha Five Websites
                        longlivepuppies.com
                        socialservicenetwork.com
                        -------------------------------------------------
                        socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

I have a redirection from the ISP to my domain that allows me to address a subfolder e.g. http://117.74.96.4/pga/ and http://117.74.96.4/house/ and http://117.74.96.4/sales/ each folder can have it's own index.a5w file. Works well - easy use as a project. All different organisations - have no issues using a VPS.

Also means the server starts the index.a5w by default.
                          Peter
                          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                          X