Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

I need feedback in web app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need feedback in web app

Hi guys, I am in the process of writing a web application using A5 V9 web server.
    I have decided to use html and xbasic ( no web components) only. yes I know, web components save me time but I want more speed. I have found a huge increase in speed by not using web components.

Anyways, I would love if you guys can do some testing in my web app and give me some feedback. This app will be for a client of mine.

It is not complete.

The address is :
    http://70.56.214.140:8080/ewap/login.a5w

username: alphaholic
    password: alpha5

love to hear comments.
    The Mexican

Re: I need feedback in web app

Looks good so far Mario! Yeah, if you can code and get what you want without components, a definite speed increase. I have some really fancy complicated stuff that never could have been done with a component, and it's speed is outta this world. Cal Locklin demonstrated this early on as well.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

All data in the app is fake!!
      so don't worry about ssn.
      The Mexican

Comment

Very quick indeed, I am quite impressed

Is this hosted on your internal machine?

Glad to hear the ssn's are fake lol...

Comment

yes, this is hosted in my own web server. Private servers are a little bit expensive, they want mucho pesos.
          All I need to do is to buy a domain for $10 bucks a year and pointed to my web server.
          Of course i will backup everyday. I know some people are worried about dbf table corruption, but in my 4 years of programming with Alpha and 8 desktop applications used by hundreds of users, I have not had any data corruption yet.
          The Mexican

Comment

Hi Mario,

WOW. Looks really great!!

In the page source, I can see the HTML, but where is the Xbasic?

Gary
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

On page source you should not be able to see the xbasic. It is the same for all programming languages (php,ASP) to protect from hacking.
              You only see HTML.

Feel free to add and edit on the web page. I want it tested as much as possible!!!
              The Mexican

Comment

Hi Mario,
                I noticed that when I created a new Head of Household that the Phone field was required although it was not indicated as such with an asterisk. Also when prompted for two incomplete fields they were listed one right after the other with no space or comma (didn't notice it at least) as separation but when only one was incomplete a comma was included after the field's name.

Up to your client, but although the field name was in the error prompt no other indication of why the error occurred--or any example of what the format should be so eventually guessed to create the new record! Such as SS# should be 000-00-0000 format, Phone say should be 000/000/0000.

Everything else I saw looked good.

Hope the information/critique is useful.
                Mike

Comment

It certainly is fast compared to what I believe it would be using components.

Are you sure you have to include ssn for viewing and as a search criteria? You can at least hide or obscure it (show only the last four digit) where not absolutely required.

I think you are not using security framework, are you encrypting the database and planning to use ssl to protect this information?
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve thanks for your feedback: I am planning in encrypting the social security number using encrypt_string() and decrypt_string() in the url. I tried a little this morning but I got some weird errors like social with a letter in the middle 34589K821 after decrypting it. I think it has to do with urlencode or something. Will take a look this weekend.
                    I am not sure if I will be encrypting the database for two reasons:
                    1) dbf files are in a folder outside the webroot
                    2)If somebody can hack and get access to the dbf files in the server then that person should have no problem decrypting the tables.

Thanks to MikeC for your feedback I will take a look at the mentioned issues.
                    The Mexican

Comment

If you are trying to use encrypt functions in calculated grid fields, I always had trouble with do that, often produced an error. Same problem using rand and rand_sring functions. Not happy running as a calculated field.

I ended up only highly 'obscuring' important information using string manipulation. But by important I mean an Order No. or a sequential number. I would never put a ssn in a URL encrypted or not; and there is no reason to. Alpha has a new UUID function (haven't used it yet) that creates a unique and highly non-guessable value. Create one of those when you first create a given record, then put that in the URL to bring up child records. I don't do that now and in fact use a sequential value. But I know I will be shifting to it at some time (sequential values have the problem of what if you delete a record and then reuse that person's old "unique id" for someone else). UUID's are nice because you don't have to encrypt them as you pass them around.

Using SSN as a 'unique id' for individuals was popular 10 years ago, used often by colleges and the like. But no respected institution would get caught dead exposing them now.

I've even done tricks where the URL contained the date and time, and was only valid for the next X minutes. That keeps the URL from being used later on. I do that in my emailed 'registration confirmation links' for double opt-in - they have to confirm their registration within a week or so, else the link becomes invalid (I mean what if someone 'confirmed' a year or so later and your whole database changed in the mean time, who knows what would happen when they click the link).
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Mario,

How do you plan to enter and edit data without components? Are you going to hand code the fields, or is this application search and display only?

Pat
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Mario,
                          In your estimation, how much overhead would using web components have added to this example?
                          Andrew

Comment

Pat the application already enter and updates data, go ahead and try it. There are no components. A web component is nothing more than xbasic and Javascript that produces html. What I do is I create the dialogs using HTML and CSS and use XBasic for data manipulation and validation. It takes a little bit longer to create the screens in a web app by hand but the speed increase is great.

achung: There are no web components in my application.

Steve: Thanks for your great input I will follow your advise and start using UUID's. The client wants to be able to see ssn in the main screen because that is how they id a client. I will use UUID for urls as ids within the app.
                            The Mexican

Comment

Would you be willing to share one of your A5W pages with a hand-coded "grid" or "dialog"?
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X