Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CAPTCHA - beta testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAPTCHA - beta testing

If anyone is in the mood, I could use some beta testing on a CAPTCHA module I just wrote. It's at the following address:

http://books.alphatogohost.com/captcha_test.a5w

I included some information about CAPTCHA and put the function parameters in to a dialog so you can see the effect of each parameter.

Looking to see if it breaks under testing and any comments generally about usefulness as implemented.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: CAPTCHA - beta testing

I get:

Errors in: event.Activate code:
    Variable is of different type

Just above the Functions Parm Panel

no image
    properties are:

http://books.alphatogohost.com/sessi...ptchaimage.jpg

Peter
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Fixed, although you may need to delete the cookie or clear cache for it to work.

I had shifted security from "Expires when user closes browser" to "Defined time...". The latter method does not create a session folder on the server, and that is where the captcha image was attempting to being stored.

I was unaware that the two "defined time..." login expiration methods do not create a session folder; so I will have to play with that.

EDIT - Correction. Using "Defined time.." login expiration policy DOES create a session folder. Apparently I had a different problem where the entire server was not creating any session folders. Restarting the server fixed that, not sure what was the cause.

On the CAPTCHA, I notice that with IE it does not always create a new image. Firefox appears to work perfectly (and a lot faster). This will be fixed once I implement AJAX.
      Last edited by Steve Wood; 07-28-2008, 08:32 PM. Reason: session folder correction
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

That is very nice stuff Steve.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I didn't find anything faulty Steve. To make it more effective, besides the rotation you mentioned on the webpage, would be to have more overlap or at least more of the alpha/numeric characters touch each other.

Another thought, and have not as yet seen this done by other sites, is to instruct users to only input every-other, every-third, first 4 characters, or etc. maybe as options, random, or just hardcoded to make it harder for bots....could very well be overkill and some users may not like such "mind work" !! :)
          Mike

Comment

Making them overlap is an easy adjustment, but you have to ensure they don't overlap too much, and that take playing with the formula. I could even guarantee a random two or three always overlapped.

Some systems draw a jagged line down the middle of the text effectively "joining them". I can do that and probably rotate the characters too, but there is a diminishing return going forward. Rotating would take some time because you don't rotate the text, you rotate the image upon which the text has been placed. So I'd have to do that for each character in turn, and still make sure they ended up enough in a row that a human could read them.

Aside from actually building something useful, it's all quite interesting what can be created using Alpha. I would have never thought such a oddball item as this CAPTCHA could be built using standard functions.

Most of this type of spam is created by bots looking for unprotected forms that send email. If the form has any type of defense, the bot has to do extra work to break in. If the defense is non-repeating (the idea behind CAPTCHA), it's much more difficult.

Believe it or not, there is a CAPTHA breaking hacking method called "relay" where the image is sent to a human, who 'cracks' it (by just looking at it), enters the key, and the bot continues to send the spam email. Even though our message board has a verification system it too gets 'cracked' once in a while and we get spam.

Other verification systems we've all seen are:

- asking the user to solve a simple math problem
            - asking the user to just type in NOSPAM in a box
            - asking the user to identify a simple animal picture, like "cow"

This article does a good job of explaining the pros and cons:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000712.html
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,
              The refresh is not working for me. The hint changes but the image remains the same. The images all seem quite readable to me.
              Mike W

Comment

Thanks - it seems to work perfectly, and then not for a period. I am sure it is either because a) the dialog is refreshing before the code finishes creating the new image, b) some function is not thread safe or c) browser is caching the old image. Most likely is is the last item, which I can easliy remedy.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

The refresh problem is when using Internet Explorer.
                  Mike

Comment

Additional Suggestion ... include Upper and Lower case at same time - plus numerics ... assuming the A5 logic is using Case Sensitive.

Comment

That's great work - I would not get carries away with the background though, the honeycomd style meakes it impossible to read.

If I refresh with the browser button image refrehes, if I use the button it remains while the password changes.

IE7.

Again geat idea - look forward to ordering. Peter

Works fine with Firefox and Safari
                      Last edited by peteconway; 07-29-2008, 10:21 PM.
                      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Steve,

For what it is worth, I clipped the image with a screen capture and ran it through an old copy of OmniPage. Without making any refining adjustments, it almost read it correctly - missed the last letter. Didn't have time to try others, but if I could get that close with out trying, I wonder how well someone could do if they were.

Comment

There is a discussion of effectiveness in the document I referenced on an earlier post. Before I release the product I will deploy more of the author's methods in that article. Background refinement, multiple fonts and font perturbation are three of those.

Here are some quotes from that article. Keep in mind that almost all CAPTCHA can be defeated using OCR or vision techniques (reference).

The real secret to CAPTCHA is that it hits spammers where they are most vulnerable: in the pocketbook. The minute you put up a computational barrier, the entire economic model of spam comes crashing down.

Some people actually believe that spammers can now "fairly easily" write scripts which use advanced optical character recognition to automatically defeat any online CAPTCHA form.

Although there have been a number of CAPTCHA-defeating proof of concepts published, there is no practical evidence that these exploits are actually working in the real world. And if CAPTCHA is so thoroughly defeated, why is it still in use on virtually every major website on the internet? Google, Yahoo, Hotmail, you name it, if the site is even remotely popular, their new account forms are protected by CAPTCHAs.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

No refresh at all using Opera 9.5.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X