Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Duplicate Web Site For Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Web Site For Demo

I've recently built a web site for a client which is up and running more or less smoothly. My client has posed a question to me and since I'm not too familiar with V9 Web Application Server, I'm hoping that someone who is, might be able to supply me with an answer. The client wants to set up a second site, that is more or less a duplicate of the first, to use as a demo for his clients. My uncertainties are as follows:

1. Can 2 different sites occupy the same webroot on a server if placed in different folders?
    Ex:
    Site One:
    C:\a5\webroot\Site1
    C:\a5\data1
    Site Two:
    C:\a5\webroot\Site2
    C:\a5\data2

2: Would the second site require it's own domain name or would it be possible to access the second site from the first with a simple link.

3: if I am way off base on how to achieve this please let me know!

I tried this locally on my desktop computer and could only get it to work if I had 2 instances of A5V9 running, one for each site, with the web server of one using port 80 and the web server for the second using port 81. With only one instance of a5V9 running I got a 403 error when trying to link to the second site.

If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, I could sure use the help. if my explanation is not clear, please let me know and I'll try to elaborate.

Any and all help, as usual, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jas

Re: Duplicate Web Site For Demo

Yes, many have that arrangement. You only need one domain and only one instance of web app server running. You do need to create two different Profiles in Alpha each with appropriate alias paths to the data.

Actually, I can think of one problem. If you copy the same app to different folders and are using Security Framework there will be a problem. Each application needs a different value in the file named "Guid.SecuritySettings". Normally you would have two different projects and each would have different values in that file. There is a function to create that file, a5ws_createsecurityfiles(). Read up on how to use that function. I would publish your second copy, delete the Guid.SecuritySettings from the published location (its safe to delete this file) and then run the function in the web space to recreate a new one.

Your URL links should be:

http://www.mydomain.com/site1/mypage.a5w
    http://www.mydomain.com/site2/mypage.a5w
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks, Steve.
      In the course of trying to get this to work on my desktop, I kept getting an error having to do with incorrect or incomplete security settings, so your explanation makes perfect sense. I'll be setting this up for client within the next week and will follow your instructions.

Thanks Again
      jas

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        Yes, many have that arrangement. You only need one domain and only one instance of web app server running. You do need to create two different Profiles in Alpha each with appropriate alias paths to the data.

Actually, I can think of one problem. If you copy the same app to different folders and are using Security Framework there will be a problem. Each application needs a different value in the file named "Guid.SecuritySettings". Normally you would have two different projects and each would have different values in that file. There is a function to create that file, a5ws_createsecurityfiles(). Read up on how to use that function. I would publish your second copy, delete the Guid.SecuritySettings from the published location (its safe to delete this file) and then run the function in the web space to recreate a new one.

Your URL links should be:

http://www.mydomain.com/site1/mypage.a5w
        http://www.mydomain.com/site2/mypage.a5w
        Hi, Steve,

I have run into trouble on this issue, also. I have two projects, which I have set up with their unique security files. When I publish them, though, only one of the security files is recognized, or neither. Also, I could not find a5ws_createsecurityfiles() in the on-line help at Alpha. How unique do the paths to the two projects need to be so that the two security files do not bump into each other?

Thanks,
        Conrad

Comment

When this post came across my email I missed the Originally Posted by and thought, "hey, this guy knows more than me on this subject".

I don't know if there is a difference between a little unique, and really, really unique.

Most I see do the following:

c:\a5data\proj1\datafiles
          c:\a5data\proj2\datafiles
          c:\a5data\proj3\datafiles

c:\a5webroot\webfiles
          c:\a5webroot\proj2\webfiles
          c:\a5webroot\proj3\webfiles

And the URL's are, assuming index.a5w is the default page:

mydomain.com/index.a5w
          mydomain.com/proj2/index.a5w
          mydomain.com/proj3/index.a5w

The first one is an example of the "main" application with no project folder.
          Each project under the webroot needs unique security files including the guid and the a5_application.a5i file. I don't know the whole list of files, but standard publishing to the proper folder should take care of it.

The problem with me explaining this is that I have not done this in several years.

The a5ws_createsecurityfiles() may not be in the Help document, along with dozens of other functions.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi, Steve,

I think my last note and your reply crossed in the email. I can access separate files in separate folders directly on the server by using the base URL and their respective paths, if there is no security turned on. Am I correct in interpreting what you have said to mean that it is possible to run multiple projects, with their own security files, on one server if each has not only a separate location/folder but its own URL? If that is the case, I need to try to find a less expensive ISP so that I/the charities I am helping, can afford separate space rental fees for separate URL's. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

My example below are all the same URL, but with different paths. So just one URL.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
              X