Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Open microsoft application from Alpha(hope it also wont add in my few un answered qns

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open microsoft application from Alpha(hope it also wont add in my few un answered qns

Hi all ,

im developing web application using v9. i posted few questions earlier which still remains unanswered.
    unfortunately , this is the only forum we have to post our queries regarding alpha.i asked earlier about how to maintain folders inside our projects.

this is the link:
    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=74627

still i could nt able to find solution for it.
    My new query:
    in my application i have link to word, excel and powerpoint.
    i already provided proper link to open the corresponding exe file using sys_shell command.its also opening link in my pc.but once i publish to server and wen program runs from server ...

wenever the links open from client pc its searchin for application in server since the path provided is
    sys_shell("C:\programfiles\microsoftoffice\...")

is it possible to make application of client pc to be open when user click the links?
    Last edited by DOntquIT; 08-12-2008, 02:29 AM.
    Thanks & Regards,
    RR

Wonder rather than doubt is the root of all knowledge

Re: Open microsoft application from Alpha(hope it also wont add in my few un answered

The short answer to your linked post is that if the components and A5W pages are in the same folder, the forward slash is never needed, and Alpha is never going to automatically put one there.

On the link to Word, Excel, etc. You have no control over how your client applicaitons respond. Almost always however, documents will open in their respective programs. If you provide a link to a Word "doc" or "docx" file it will most likely open in Word; same with an "xls" or "xlsx" file. Your doc or xls would need to be accessible to the user, normally in your Document Root so the file is publically available, but there are other ways to make it available to only logged in users.

As you note, you cannot use shell_sys at all since that opens an executable on your server, doing nothing of value for your client. You don't need to, can't anyway, launch an executable on your user's machine, other than through the method I describe above. Unless you are actually going to provide a download of that EXE to the client machine, and then tell the user to launch it. YOU still cannot make it happen, the User has to run it.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Re: Open microsoft application from Alpha(hope it also wont add in my few un answered

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      As you note, you cannot use shell_sys at all since that opens an executable on your server, doing nothing of value for your client.
      You can use it but as you said, it is useless in THIS case... I've a few very handy scripts set up that use it on WAS to call ImageMagick etc. but of anything that requires to be opened on the client PC it is not the way to go, for reasons you already outlined...

As for this case...

To avoid the files being available to anyone and everyone, I would, within the a5w page, copy the document to the client's session folder using file.copy2() and then either redirect to it or use something like the below to prompt an open/save message box:

Code:
      Dim FilePath as c
      FilePath = session.session_folder + FileName
      file.copy2(FileLocation,FilePath)

RESPONSE.ADD_HEADER("Content-Length: " + FILE_GET_SIZE(FilePath))
      RESPONSE.ADD_HEADER("Pragma: no-cache")
      RESPONSE.ADD_HEADER("Expires: 0")
      response.mime_type = resolve_mime_type(file.filename_parse(FileName,"E"))

RESPONSE.ADD_HEADER("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="+FileName)

Dim FileBlob as B
      FileBlob = file.to_blob(FilePath)
      ?FileBlob
      End
      (With no other output on the page)

Comment

Thanks for the response

The short answer to your linked post is that if the components and A5W pages are in the same folder, the forward slash is never needed
        as a first step to the solution suggested,i created new folder and added components and a5w of my project to same folder ,next when i insert component in my a5w page i got mesg as component not found.

but i can able to insert the component which is not inside that folder.i even checked my files in my c: default web projects whether the a5w page and component in same folder,yes it is in same place.what could be the reason that i cant add my component in to my a5w page even when they are in same folder?

Regarding my second query,im not opening word, excel file ..im giving shortcut to the application itself.i have to open the microsoft application and not the file.

I attached my screen shot as well
        Thanks & Regards,
        RR

Comment

You have me (us) lost because I cannot tell what is where, if you are publishing at all, how you are publishing. You seem to have the files all over the place.

Component and A5W pages normally are NOT moved around at all at the file level. They should stay exactly where they were created, in a project folder together. I can't tell if you copy files to the server or not, but you always have to publish, you can't just copy them to the server. IF you insert a component in an A5W page in your project, and then publish that project, the files will be together, and the components will all be "found". If you are moving things around at the file level, no one can guess what is where and why something does not work.

On the second item, what exactly do you expect to happen when your user, who is using their browser to access your application, clicks some link to open Word or Excel? What do you expect the USER to SEE as a result of making that selection? Or, if you don't expect the user to see anything, what do you expect to happen on the server? Are there any Macros involved - do you want Word or Excel to run some macro? Or, do you just want Word or Excel to just open?
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

if you are publishing at all, how you are publishing. You seem to have the files all over the place.
            If you are moving things around at the file level, no one can guess what is where and why something does not work.
            Yes i have my files all over in my project, its jus like scattered here n there without a simple way to maintain folders. i doesnt know that creating folders and placing components and pages will become a issue for me.what makes someone to post such a question "How to create folder" doesnt it sounds SIMPLE? we tried and we failed .and we never thought it will make our job difficult.
            Here is what i did,

1)i created a new database ,
            2)i created component firstcomp and insert that component in to firstpage.a5w
            3)Then i added a folder MISmodules
            4)i created component MIScomp and a5wpage MISpage inside that folder.
            once i saved a5w page and when i clik insert component its showing my component -MIScomp under the folder mymodules.

when i clik that and insert,it showing component not found.
            What could be the reason?

Hope My explanation is clear ...

What do you expect the USER to SEE as a result of making that selection? Or, if you don't expect the user to see anything, what do you expect to happen on the server? Are there any Macros involved - do you want Word or Excel to run some macro? Or, do you just want Word or Excel to just open?
            Regarding the applications, i clearly mentioned it as shortcut so ofcourse from the user point of view it should be shortcut for microsoft applications.
            when i click MS-WORD it should open MS-word application as how we open MS-WORD by clcking start -> Microsoft office--> ms-word.
            In same manner but its a shortcut to open the application in client pc even my page runs from server.

if Myval = "E" then
            sys_shell("c:\Program files\microsoft office\office11\excel.exe ")
            else if Myval = "P" then
            sys_shell("c:\Program files\microsoft office\office11\powerpnt.exe ")

end if

it will work for me but it doesnt goin to help me when i publish my files and run from server.since the path wont be same and we dont want all application to open from server , we want the client pc applcations to be opened.

Thanks for all the supports given.
            Last edited by DOntquIT; 08-13-2008, 04:25 AM.
            Thanks & Regards,
            RR

Comment

The answer to the first one is don't create components and A5W pages in subfolders.

The answer to the second one is you CANNOT open a copy of MS Word on the Client computer by providing a link to the EXE file - even if you knew exactly what the path was on the client computer, you cannot do it at all, no one can, its not possible at all. What ever path you provide will always execute on the server, not on the client computer.

But you can follow the advice provided by Andrea and create a link to a Word file on your server and causing that file to open in Word on the client computer, IF the client computer user agrees to open the file and has set their computer to use Word for all DOC files (the default), for instance.

A perfect example of this is the DOC attachment on your last post. That is a DOC file. When I click on the attachment it opens in Word, after I agree to open it. That is a lnk to a file on the server, not a link to my MS Word executable.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

The answer to the first one is don't create components and A5W pages in subfolders.
                I have a question here.we are developing a system with several modules with a team of four.
                Lets say my module name is A which is inside folder folderA, now i want to
                copy my team members modules lets assume(b,c,d) in to my Pc.so i want to create folderB , folderC,folderD and put corrsponding comp and pages in that folders.

Is that possible or not?

Regarding my second query, we are still workin on it to find some other better solution.
                Last edited by DOntquIT; 08-14-2008, 10:22 PM.
                Thanks & Regards,
                RR

Comment

Dont Quit,

most of the times this forum won't provide you what you need..
                  cause here the developers of "ALPHA" itself are not sure how their things work..

simple example in alpha5 help file itself not working even though you copy as it is.. and when you asked about it in the forum, nobody will dare to talk about it..
                  whether it is richard robins (co founder) or so and so VARs or so and so "CERTIFIED ALCOHOLICS" oh! sorry.. "CERTIFIED ALPHAHOLICS"..

but you don't quit.. dont get upset.. everything can be done .. there is nothing that is not impossible..

i think those who replied earlier for this post should read about "LAUNCHINIE" dll etc., to know how to open "ms-word" or "excel" in a client PC from a web application..

don't listen to the SCRAP here.. even mine is of that sort.. Just "SCRAP".. depend on yourself.. and get the things done.. then post the results to this fellows, then they all will use it nicely.. like you did earlier for "select all" option to check in a "GRID".. i think still some of the alpha developers are struggling to use ur code.. :) pity them..

Comment

sendamail,

Thanks for your supportive words and honest opinion.i agree with what u said.
                    Hope you also one of the sick and tired customer of alpha five.
                    The most simple and basic things i cant find solution.their example not so clear.for each n everyth i have to depend on java script which is not reliable in all browsers.

jus a simple thing ,on leave of textbox i have to fill in the rest of the forms. this option is Not available in V8. then i used JS.once they released V9 i was bit relaxed seein the eg of onleave of textbox can fill in the forms ...but when i see the code i hold my breathe . oh GOd y should i have to write such a long code for simple thing.(ajax callback) even all the examples provided for that, i guess the pages doesnt use component at all(if i'm not mistaken)..

and basically becuase of the time difference we cant get help wen we need.have to wait one day after u post for answers. but even after that day the response wont be there(most of the times).

i can make my code work using JS but i dont want to completely rely on it for small small things...then what for we have alpha if we jus have to use html for designing and JS for scripts.so im jus trying my best to use Alpha functions (if at all, there is any built in) thats the reason im posting here to know whether they have any built in fnc or not.

But answers not much helpfull. will google about LAUNCHINIE

Thanks
                    Thanks & Regards,
                    RR

Comment

Usually I stay very quiet. So do others. Tonight I'm gonna tell you, and probably even damage my reputation for patience:

Ya'll get a lot of free help and free advice here. If someone doesn't answer your question for free once or twice, then don't smear everyone here with the kinds of comments you just posted.

In German, we have a treatment for this. It's called KwitcherBitcheien.
                      -Steve
                      sigpic

Comment

dear steve..

good you are so patient..
                        but it doesn't matter here..
                        what matters here is, if ALPHA5 works reliable.. let the developers answer the question.. we are not begging here for somebody's code or what..
                        we are demanding about the non-maturity of the product and examples given which don't work..

by god's grace .. we have done well all this while without the help of steve workings or etc., or etc.,

but, we bought alpha5, so we as a customer we have all the rights of demanding or yelling out about the loop-holes in the product..

hope you and all the patient guys got me.. if not, answer to the question that is related to the problem.. don't come here and boast up about your patience or something.. nobody is bothered if u r a patient guy or an arrogant..

btw.. write something here about alpha5 problems.. u can find many german literature forums if you want to prove your knowlwdge in german language.. we are least bothered about your treatments and your german literature..

god bless you
                        Last edited by sendamail; 08-15-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Hi steve,

You can be patience but our customers dont have patience to get thier product.
                          Hope you know this statement as well,"time and tide wait for noone" same thing we cant wait and watch your patience when our deadlines are closer.

All this while, we faced and facing lots of problems and we managed to solve it by ourself.still we have some strange problems which ourself dont understand y does it happen? because the problem also not reliable which will come sometimes and disappear sometimes.
                          a simple one or two i can say now,
                          when we have two three web pages open at same time, some times we dont understand y n how it happens.one page will duplicate the other page and code in that page will be replaced with other page.

we don know y it happens then we always close , dont save and open again the page.
                          sometimes when we click wysiwyg and source again then all the code disappears....then have to undo again to get back our work.

even in the dialog properties undo function is not really helpfull.....

like this so many....all this while im more patience then u without bringing this to forum notice.

its not that one or two of my qns not answered , until now i posted onel few qns i think only 2 is answererd excluding this.

we are not commanding you to provide us code, jus demandin for some ideas and help.
                          Even if you all are too tired to do that,Afterall forum is for what then.
                          Thanks & Regards,
                          RR

Comment

99% of your problem (aside from your attitude) is that you are not taking the time to appreciate and learn Alpha Five. You are treating it like some other development product perhaps more familiar to you. Your pages are blowing up most likely because you are filling them with javascript and other code that the WYSIWYG HTML Editor cannot parse. For instance, if you try to use Frames in Source and then toggle to WYSIWYG, the whole page code will disappear because WYSIWYG can't handle it. So in that case, and whatever may be the cause in your place, you simply must stay in Source all the time, not venture in to WYSIWYG.

As both a desktop and web development platform, used by a developer who has an appreciation for and understanding of how to use Alpha, it is nearly flawless*. Alpha is not .Net, Java, NetBeans, or anything else; it's Alpha. Both Steve Workings and I, and lots of other developers, have built fabulous web applications using Alpha. But our success is because we know how Alpha works, and work mostly within it's boundries. Time with the product, patiently building appreciation and understanding is the key. Methods involving JavaScript, AJAX, etc. are relatively new to us as a community. That is to say, those with the most Alpha experience are not always those with the best skill in those technologies.

Which brings me back to your Attitude. Just as the other Steve said, I normally ignore 'lack of appreciation' because everyone has their nature, and everyone gets up on the wrong side some days. I only do this about 30% for the accolades, so I am pretty well covered (maybe its 70% for the accolades, I don't know). But you are being unwise in striking out against those who provide 'support' here. You do that more than a few times and see how your questions go unanswered. It's all very democratic. All the top developers know and respect each other. You don't even know who Steve is; if you did you would not dump on him as you have. (And I assume I am next, we'll see.)

It comes down to 1) take the time to learn and appreciate Alpha as a development platform, or 2) hire someone who has, or 3) don't use Alpha if it doesn't meet your standards, and above all 4) if you are committed to using Alpha, help the Alpha community grow with comments and contributions that help all of us understand your needs so we can help you and also help the product evolve. Your commitment to the community of developers and power users will come back ten-fold to help you.

I mean it really is difficult to provide this 'support' and many on the recieving end don't realize what pain we go through to uncover and resolve your problem (most do appreciate it). Add to that, your issues are rather complex and out of the ordinary. That plus I/we don't know everything.

I don't ask questions very often, but I can be sure that when I do, one or more developers will take half a day to figure out some solution to my problem. And they know that I will return that favor back to the community with some sort of analysis or description of what worked. That's a long term committment approach, and that's what Steve meant about patience.
                            -----
                            *Which doesn't mean I have a long list of desires and a few bug fixes I'm waiting for.
                            Last edited by Steve Wood; 08-15-2008, 03:16 AM. Reason: removed some text - mixing up who I am responding to
                            Steve Wood
                            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Also, because I was curious and searched, LAUNCHINIE means Launch In Internet Explorer. It's ActiveX and won't run in any other browser. The author himself says it is only suitable in an Intranet environment.
                              Steve Wood
                              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                              X