Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WAS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAS

Hi All,

Newbie question - I see WAS reffered to in this forum. What is it?

Thanks.

Re: WAS

Stands for Web Application Server, pronounced like "pass". It was coined by Alpha when they first introduced the product. The WAS is a standalone product that only serves as a web host. The term "WAS" is somewhat out of favor with Alpha, and "Application Server" is the correct term for that product; although I don't think anyone else knows that!
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      S... pronounced like "pass"...
      Huh? I thought it was pronounced like "was". Shows you what I know! I guess they don't like the term kind of like the English-French consortium that built the "chunnel" warned reporters that if they used that term they would be put on a blacklist and not be provided w. ongoing construction news. The trouble is that the "AS" doesn't exactly cut it either. Like it or not, WAS will stick until they can find a snappier term.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I'm not Webster, but the most commonly verbalized term amongst peers is like "pass". I recall we had a baby naming thread when it first came out, but I don't think anyone care's what it is called now. Doesn't really need a fancy name because it's just a web server. It's the application written to run on the server that can be a work of art, or a real dogg.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

sorry to Brian ..

just going to divert from the topic, what steve said is correct and thats how we pronounce.. and thats not too important to discuss here,

can somebody answer my earlier thread about "time subtraction" instead of talking about "WAS" or "AS" which are just names and trivial things..

i hope u all got the point..

regds..

Comment

Originally posted by sendamail View Post
            sorry to Brian ..

just going to divert from the topic, what steve said is correct and thats how we pronounce.. and thats not too important to discuss here,

can somebody answer my earlier thread about "time subtraction" instead of talking about "WAS" or "AS" which are just names and trivial things..

i hope u all got the point..

regds..
            Satya
            I read this forum regularly and appreciate the help of the more experienced Alpha guys and girls. It has been said on this forum that there is no such thing as a trivial question which as a newbie, I find allows me to ask some "trivial" questions and know that someone will take the time to answer.

In saying that, it bothers me that you have interjected into a conversation and devalued the WAS question as asked by Brian. I do appreciate that you may be frustrated with not getting a response to your time subtraction question but this does not give you the right to do what you have done here.

I hope you got the point...

Murray

Comment

Murray..

frustration is not for not getting the answer, but frustration is for reading the messages like urs who talk about other things than the subject..

if u know the answer to time subtraction .. u come and talk here, if you don't..
              go and take care of ur job, don't come and give useless advises here as you are also doing the same like i did.. interjecting between me and the post starter..

if u r good enuf to read, read the first line with what i started.. "SORRY TO BRIAN".. i accepted what i am doing, u don't need to come and tell me the same thing..

Steve's answer is more than enuf for the "WAS" question, after that no need of dragging it by PETER and now by MURRAY.. this satyas, peters and murrays all better go and solve unsolved threads instead of talking nonsense in this closed threads..

Got me MURRAY??
              Last edited by sendamail; 08-15-2008, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I would suggest that your attitude on this forum is probably why you are not getting any answers to your question/s.

Something to think about?

I have said my piece and will now as you said "take care of ur job" .

Murray
                Last edited by MCBrown; 08-15-2008, 01:41 AM. Reason: incomplete

Comment

good for u..

and i am not worried whether i get the answers or not, because its not just alpha5 thats running this IT world.. If this forum doesn't respond to the user's or customer's requests, it is going to drain.. not me.. and it effects the sales and users of alpha5, not me.. so, now, u got me?

and coming to the attitude, u go and check when i joined this forum, and when i said my first word against to this forum? its all depends on how it is working.. if i have something wrong with my attitude, i don't think so i would be in a place where i am today.. so i don't need your attitude classes here.. if u r so interested, PM me, i'll find some psychology students for u..

Now, Go and take care of ur Job..

Comment

The time substraction method works perfectly, I just tested it. But sorry I don't have time to press the ctrl-V key to paste my example. Attitude is contagious.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

thats nice..

now that started promoting the product by lying as well..

dim t2 as Y

t2 = ctot("12:40")

? t2

= 12:40:00 00 pm

t2 = t2 - 60

? t2

= 12:39:00 00 pm

if this is what you said working, then definitely something wrong..
                      please check again.. i tested this on nearly 5 pcs with different browsers in both alpha5 version 8 and 9..
                      but the result is blank screen..

is it Alpha5 works only in USA & Australia? Is it the developers coded such a way that the above lines of code doesn't work in Asian countries like Malaysia? :) there should be a limit for exaggeration. if there is no problem with this code, u think that we are very free to target this world famous forum to make it infamous? :) tell the truths my dear..

Comment

I can understand that VARs & Alpha5 developers are desperate to promote their product, thats what you need to do,

but not us.. we are not alpha5 promoters here, making money of selling alpha5..
                        so we talk and say the facts here, if it is working nice, we will say yes.. wonderful.. if not .. we say, no..

better improve your product instead of feeling pain to see the criticism.. if your product is good, nobody will criticize you.. instead, we promote your alpha5 to others happily..

Comment

I'll get back to your "lying" and other comments after we are done with this example. In your original post (different thread) you said the examples in the Help did not work. They do. Here you say what you show leaves the browser blank. So please show exactly what you entered, where, etc. Because entering that text "in a browser" will cause the browser to produce an error since it is not proper syntax for that purpose. Also, your example here does not match the example in the Help.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

what is this?

who is blind here? i don't understand..
                            these are the lines that are given in alpha5 help file.. under time subtraction function..

and who will enter characters in browser? i pasted exactly the above lines..

Comment

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...me+subtraction

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...me+subtraction

have a look at these posts which i have posted earlier and let me know, where i changed my voice.. and please also let everybody in the forum know whether those lines that i typed here are from alpha5 help file example or not..

Comment

Working...
                              X