Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Passing variable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing variable question

Sorry I�m new to Alpha 5 and normally can find my answers via this forum. My question is I have a web application that looks up via a search, a patient number and then fills in all the data for that page. What I need to do is then click on a hyperlink and go to another page with more information about that same patient. I need to do this because it takes so long to load all the pages in a web app. If I break up the pages by passing the patient number from screen to screen it is a lot faster. What code do I need and where do I put it on the first page and second? Thank you so much for your help.
    Reed Brown
    ITOT Solutions, Inc.
    Alpha v12

Re: Passing variable question

You want to learn about session variables. Plenty of info in the help files and on this board. You may possibly be interested in cookies, too.

And, welcome!
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you but I have not found what I'm looking for yet. It is above my head when they explain it. I would just like a down and dirty code to handle it. An exp. would be very helpful.
      Reed Brown
      ITOT Solutions, Inc.
      Alpha v12

Comment

You'll find plenty of examples here. And if you don't understand it, yet you're implementing a web site, you should take the time to understand it. While I and many others are more than willing to help, we also expect that you'll do your best to help yourself and not just ask for free coding help.

If there's something about session variables or cookies you don't understand, please ask away.
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

This is actually pretty easy to do, but there are many ways. It would be helpful if you would give more info as to waht you have done. For example, are you using a grid or a dialog?

I will assume you are using a grid. Even here, there are many ways to go about it. But I will give you one way.

Edit the grid. In the tree to the left, click on Query. From there, define a calculated field (click the Calculated fields button). Create a calc field called say "page 2" and make it equal to the patient number. For example, if your patient number is called pnumber, then you could define a calc field as follows:

page2=pnumber

Now, click on the FIelds link in the tree, and in the available fields list, scroll towards the bottom to find the calc field we just created. Add that to te slected fields list ny double clicking it. Now, you calc field is in the slected fields list. Highlight it by clicking it once. Change the control type to "Link" - t started out as "text box" - change it to Link. When you do that, fields will ppear to allow you to define Link Proiperties. Here is where you will link to to your second page. In the Display what in link? field, choose static text. Call it say "Page 2" in the static text field. In the Link address type field, selected "computed from fields in the grid". The last step is defining the next field, Link address. Click in the field, then click on the icon to the right. A window open allowing you to pich which page to link to, plus other options. WHen you do all of this, you will have ctreated a link to page 2.

This sounds a lot more difficult than it really is, but I have given you enough to get started. Good luck!

Gary
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

I have not tried this yet but thank you so much for your help. I will let you know the out come.
            Reed Brown
            ITOT Solutions, Inc.
            Alpha v12

Comment

Ok just tried what you said and it does not pass anything to the second page. Of course the second page opens but the variable does not show up????
              Reed Brown
              ITOT Solutions, Inc.
              Alpha v12

Comment

For anyone to help, you have to describe in detail what you did, and what the outcome was. What did you do to test if the variable did or did not get passed (how do you know it did not "show up")? Show the exact calculated field expression and describe how you know the expression should assign a value, etc.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

I'm so sorry I did get it to work. Thank you so much for your help. this has helped a lot.
                  Reed Brown
                  ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                  Alpha v12

Comment

Working...
                  X