Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Getting count of records in a grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting count of records in a grid

I have a grid with an updateable detail section.

I need to fill a field with a sequence number as I enter new records into the grid, so I'm looking for some way to get a count of the number of rows in the grid. The grid is filtered, so I can't just use an autoincrement. I can put a summary variable "count" at the bottom of the grid, but I can't figure out how to access the value in it. Also, the grid is based on a MySQL table, so I can't use a calculated field.

There is a page variable Args.Info.TotalRecords, but it is not available in the events. I think this is the same variable used in the {TotalRecords} Total Records Message Text in Properties.

Anyone have an idea?

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: Getting count of records in a grid

Would using the <RowNumber> field get you the results you seek?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Jerry showed me this once. It's so easy I wish I had a complete list of all variables that fall in to this category. Do it in the A5W page. Here is an example using my grid named userlist. Chkrows will contain the actual row count at runtime.

dim chkrows as n

with tmpl_userlist
      componentName = "userlist"
      chkrows = rows
      end with
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Peter,

Thanks for your suggestion, but that always yields 1 for adding a new record in the detail section.

Steve,

Thanks, I'll try that.

Pat
        Pat Bremkamp
        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Steve,

Unfortunately, that gives the number of rows you have established for the grid, not the number that are filled. So, for example, I set the number of rows to display at 20 and set he formula to rows+1, so even though there are only 4 filled rows in the grid, every record I enter gets the sequence number of 21.

Do you have another magic word to try?

Pat
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Come to think of it, that makes sense...you can't know how many rows there are until after the component is processed, which happens after the "with" section.

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat:
              I am trying to use this to show grid rows on the screen.
              dim chkrows as n
              with tmpl_userlist
              componentName = "PECO_ViewandEdirLookupGrid3"
              chkrows = rows
              end with
              Keep getting error
              500 Internal Server Error
              "Script Error
              Error:Script: /PECO_WebPO/default/PECO_Viewandedit3.a5w line:40
              chkrows = rows
              Variable "rows" not found."

Any Ideas

Thanks
              Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Charlie,

No idea. It worked for me!

Pat

Later: Actually, the component may be looking for an alias for the component. That name is awfully long! you should try to come up with shorter names. So, the alias may be truncated, and if so, it may not be able to tell Grid3 from Grid2 from Grid1.

Pat
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
                  No idea. It worked for me!
                  Hi Pat,

That's great!

I am curious how you did this. Will you please explain it to us?

Ton
                  Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

Pat
                    can you show a jpg of a grid with this.
                    I assume that it will put a line count on the grid, but I would like to see what I should end up with.

Do you have to add anything to the component or only to the a5w page?

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

Pat:
                      Where do you put the code on the A5w page
                      source
                      <%A5
                      xxxxxxxxx
                      %>

or someplace else ?

Charlie Crimmel

Comment

You are asking a question that I answered in my last post. It is as simple as my example. Your mistake (Charile) appears to be that you took my example and stuck it in somewhere on the A5W page. Rather, if you add a component, Alpha will create a section on the A5W page that looks like this (IF THE component is named userlist):

with tmpl_userlist
                        end with

and you need to modify it to look like this:

dim chkrows as n
                        with tmpl_userlist
                        chkrows = rows
                        end with

Your code starts out:

with tmpl_userlist
                        componentName = "PECO_ViewandEdirLookupGrid3"

which must be incorrect because I doubt your original code section was tmpl_userlist.

And, Pat asked a question to start things off, but we now appear to be ignoring that question and moving on without trying to answer his question?

Pat, knowing the value for chkrows, you can now run a for...next loop and look if some key field has a value.

dim existslist as c
                        dim existcnt as n
                        for i = 1 to chkrows
                        if eval_valid("V.R"+alltrim(str(i))+".myfield") <> "" 'field has a value
                        existcnt = existcnt + 1
                        existlist = existlist + eval("V.R"+alltrim(str(i))+".myfield") + crlf()
                        end if
                        next

I don't know exactly how you would incorporate this, but you see the two variables contain the count of filled-in records, and the records themselves if you need them.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve, for not letting them hijack my question!

I understand what you are suggesting; I just need to figure out where to put it.

I've been at this for about 18 hours, and it is very annoying because the grid has three different built-in ways to get the number, and can print it in two different places on the grid. I just don't know how to capture any of those!

I can print the number at the top using the property Records: {Total_Records}, but the events don't recognize "the constant" {Total_Records}.

If I run a search, I can get it in the AfterSearch event in an Args variable, but I can't figure out how to automatially run a search without user intervention.

If I put a count total at the bottom of the grid, I can print it there, but, again, I can't figure out how to access that number.

Do you suppose if I pay Alpha they would tell me the secret?

Pat
                          Pat Bremkamp
                          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat,

As far as automatically running a search for the user... Don't know if this would be of use, but QuickSearch has an initial_value parameter. In an app I need to be able to automatically set this value on a grid, based on a session variable. Following this thread has given me some ideas for my problem, but I have not gotten to testing.

Bill.

Comment

Working...
                            X