Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

timer control button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timer control button

I'm looking for a way to track time on the jobs in my database. I've got a hybrid application so the employees can enter their information on the web.

The way I'm envisioning it, the employee presses a start button and the timer starts. When they press End, the timer would stop and log the elapsed time into a field.

The other option would be for it to log the start time when they press 'start' and the end time when they press 'end'. I would have to create another field though to calculate the elapsed time.

Has anyone else had to do this? Do you think the best way to start is by looking for java code in a library that I could incorporate into my web page?
    Up and coming Alphaholic ;)

Re: timer control button

I've done this. A timer isn't really what you want. Instead, a "Start Time" button to record in one field, and an "End Time" button to record in another, then calc the difference.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

I have the same desire for my folks to use. They tend to have a few tasks runing simultaniously, and starting them in the Db and ending with a clock mey(?) make reporting more accurate. I am using the date/time widgets, which for now seems good enough.

What if....
      field Time_in had a start button to enter current time
      and time out had similar (clock icon)
      Then when the doc was saves the time_calc would cipher the difference and there would be the Time_worked
      then a Time_worked_sum for some reporting?

Just a thought - Dave
      David Shaw
      Manager of Media Services and User Support
      Cleveland Museum of Art
      Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

You know, I'm really starting to think that I will never figure this stuff out. I'm not normally this slow to get rolling.

I even purchased that 'web apps made easy' to no avail (yet).

You have to look for the job # (vc_job) first and it stores the job # in a variable. I created the timer button. I used the action script feature and did several things:

On push -
        Created a variable called v_begin and set it to v_begin = time()

Xbasic change record - Edit Existing Record / grabbed the table / using key expression that looks at the variable 'vc_job', updates the field 'start time' with variable v_begin

When I run it, I get a Script error
        itbl = tbl.order(key_expr,".t.")

I've attached a print screen as well. Looks like another all nighter for me.

Comment

I've figured it out (finally!).

I created a button and 'on push' I created 2 action script items:

1. created a variable (v_begin) that updates the variable with time() function
          2. Set value property of field to the variable (under field/set field values/)

I kept having problems because originally I didn't have the start and stop fields on the form. Adding them was the only way I could achieve my goal but I like how the start and stop look anyway and I can see it update the field. Now I just have to make it so they can't change the value.

Just wanted to share the results in case someone comes on looking for a timer control in future

Comment

I like that solution. And it's so simple.

Perhaps a collaboration is in order, as our projects look quite similar.
            David Shaw
            Manager of Media Services and User Support
            Cleveland Museum of Art
            Cleveland, Ohio

Comment

Elena,

1) You mean tracking time how long somebody is busy with a certain job?
              A button for start and finish seems like measuring time like you see with chess games...

2) Or do you mean measuring a (computer) job from start to finish? Then the job complete time would have to be the finish time; Not the pressing of the finish button. What if the user is away for a coffee when the job finishes already?

Also I do not understand how you would be able to use JAVA code and interprete that with the Alpha web server. I would be very interested when Alpha can interprete JAVA. Opens up a whole new connectivity world.

regards, Ron

Comment

I'm tracking a job as in how long they are busy working on it. I do understand the coffee break issue, but that would happen with any timer....

I thought that AJAX utilized javascript functions and libraries...? no?

Comment

Elena,

You mentioned JAVA.
                  JavaScript, despite the name, is essentially unrelated to the Java programming language.
                  AJAX techniques use javascript.

regards, Ron

Comment

Elapsed time.

Okay. I see now that I'm forced to work with characters instead of logical or numeric types for web apps but I'm trying to set a duration and am having problems with conversion.

I've created a dialog that captures the time started and time completed (using only hours and minutes plus am-pm and I do have a date field to use as well).

I created a field called 'elapsed' that is character (i've tried numeric with no success) to calculate the duration of the job.

as character:

dim t3 as c = ""
                    session.t3= ctodt(session.vc_begin)-ctodt(session.vc_end)/60
                    CurrentForm.Controls.duration = val(ctodt(session.t3))

as numeric:

dim t3 as n
                    session.t3= ctodt(session.vc_begin)-ctodt(session.vc_end)/60
                    CurrentForm.Controls.duration = session.t3

dim t1 as Y
                    dim t2 as Y
                    dim t3 as Y
                    session.t1= ctodt(session.vc_begin)
                    session.t2= ctodt(session.vc_end)
                    session.t3= session.t2-session.t3/60
                    CurrentForm.Controls.duration = session.t3

Can someone please help me out with my code here? I know it should be easy but I just can't seem to get it going. I've tried several variations. How do you manipulate these variables to calculate for you when it's web based?

Comment

Working...
                    X