Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Grid component's - One to Many linking???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grid component's - One to Many linking???

I am working on figuring out the one to many linking that is referred to in the Sample Web application -

I have three grids created for one page, and there is no way to "add a new record" to this layout.

All Three grids relate to the same table, I am using the Grid's for "layout structure" purposes.

I see that several people have struggled with this - with no answers.

I thought this was a really great system, but am struggling with this seamingly easy issue...

In Access I am easily able to link tables and layout the fields like this - I am sure this can be done.

Has anyone accomplished this successfully?

:(

Re: Grid component's - One to Many linking???

Julie

As long as you have followed a good relational model and the three child tables link via a valid link field there should be no problem doing what you want to do. Are you sure you have not create the child grid as read only? Please see attached.

Just stick with it - it takes a bit to see how the Web side of Alpha works. Remember Access can't create a web app. There are many things that are a ton easier on the desktop side of Alpha as well.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
      All Three grids relate to the same table, I am using the Grid's for "layout structure" purposes.
      You need to use the Grid Linker to link the 3 grids (I assume 3 different tables) to the "Parent" table.

I see that several people have struggled with this - with no answers.
      Who?

Has anyone accomplished this successfully?
      Sure. There is nothing hard about this, really.

See attached image...
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I do not have any specific examples - didn't write down names etc. of what I found on the forum but I haven't seen any samples of what I am looking for which would help me get past this hump.

I have tried the grid linker, but find that it is not able to display my layout that my client has requested - I have attached the first of 4 pages that need to be able to be filled out by a person to submit a proposal.

I don't see how I can make the layout look like the client insists on.

I have already spent alot of money to buy Alpha, Have created a few Web Applications that I like - but wasted months of endless testing and trying to get this layout.

My business can't spend more money on a runtime license for this if I can't get the web side to work this way at this point.

Have you been able to get the web app server to display data like this?

if so, I would like to see a sample if possible?

I am unable to see either a dialog for adding/changing data or a linked grid able to display this way. I would be happy to assign a field name to each field If I saw an example of a "submit" button that would save all the fields.

I don't see much in the way of examples of how to "frame" up fields for data entry like my attached thumbnails, has anyone else seen something I am missing?

Does anyone have a sample I could look at? I am good at following examples

:(
        Last edited by Julie; 11-25-2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Julie,

Please submit your requirements in text.
          And pictures or descriptions of which which your expectations are.
          Then submit the table structures you think can capure this requirement.
          I am sure somebody here will get you on the right track.

regards, Ron

Comment

Thanks Ron,

I have attached three pages of what we need the layout to look like.

These are the spec's per my client.

My brain is blocked on the layout.

The first page is a summary in essence. The client wants the page numbers to automatically be updated for the "Attachments Hereto" section for the Inclusions and the Exclusions.

The second and third pages, will include the "project" from the first page, and allow for data entry for the "Drawing Date".

The Inclusions and Exclusions will start out with the "template" text shown, but also allow for as many additional lines as is necessary for the particular job.

I have attached the "actual spec's" and samples for reference.

Any help to get this in the right direction is humbly and graciously accepted.

This will be an awesome addition to the forum too.

Thanks in advance for your time, and guidance.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea's for this layout by any chance?

I am still at a loss as to how to get these "screens" to provide a record "submit" button and navigation between the current record and the next - or any other record.

Comment

Julie,

Not able to reply earlier sorry.
                You did not submit your table structures.
                Can you do that so readers can get a better understanding what you are trying to accomplish?

What I can see from the pictures you should have probably tables for:

Proposals, Employees, Clients, Projects, Inclusions and a table for std. inclusions at least. If you can zip the Alpha dirs with DB and post it here that would help.

regards, Ron
                Last edited by rleunis; 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay.

I have attached a print screen of each of my tables, my first table took 2 screen shots, so I labeled them "hgproposal1a, and hgproposal1b".

I am open to all thoughts on this, and look forward to seeing your ideas!

Thanks,

Julie

Comment

Julie,

I think I understand the problem now. It seems that your table structures are not normalised in such a way it would work with a relational database system like Alpha...

I suggest you read up on database normalization. THe following link was supplied by Richard Rabins some time ago in the announcement section:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=76282

You need to do some rethinking of your DB structure. What I see from your current structures and the screenshots you supplied earlier, you need at least:

Proposal table with id, and all the field unique for proposal;
                    Proposal line items table, with Prop ID, Line id and al fields relevant to lines;
                    Employee table; client table; contractor table; Project table and inclusions (std and specific).

F.i. In the proposal table you have now fields for contractor, address, city phone, etc. all this fields should be in a separate table contractors. The proposal table would only have the contractor id in it referencing to the required contractor info.

The Line item table could have a reference for each line to your Inclusion table ...

Also. A proposal could have several proposal lines in a separate table. Now you can only enter 14 line items, because you have only 14 times line item fields...What do you do when a customer want 23 items?

Instead of me or anybody else here trying to completely redesign you system, you are better helped by understanding the information in the link mentioned above. With apologies if this may sound blunt. It's not intended that way. But I really think, if you are going to use a relational system than you should understand the underlying relational DB structures also.

regards, Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your quick response.

I appreciate the link you gave me - and I will use it as a reference.

I thought about putting the contractor information in a table of it's own - which I will, but my main concern is in getting the Inclusion table and the Exclusion table to link up properly with the Proposal table...

In the Proposal table, we only want 14 lines for the summary page, because that is all that will fit, on the summary page with all the other items on that page. So we intend those 14 lines to be only 14 lines of summary.

The user will choose how to layout those 14 lines and probably wont even use 14 for the summary page.

These 14 lines in the hgproposal won't be carried over from the Inclusion or Exclusion table per say - as it is intended as a "line item" formatted but really is a "free form" section for the "bidder" to put in thier own words, what the proposal includes.

does that make sense?

I have been programming in Access with relational data files for a few years, and appreciate your interest in making sure one understands that layout/design.

Once I know that I can layout data the way the client wants it, I will spend the extra time needed to "prettyfy" the tables - but need to know first that I can get the format how the client requested it, as that is the most important thing to them.

So, assuming the "contractor" information is in another table, can you help me with the layout side?

Thanks,

Julie
                      Last edited by Julie; 12-10-2008, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I have been working on the "connection" ID fields for two tables, in respective Grid's that I then created a "linked grid" that shows me both grids, but I now need to figure out what "code" should be put in to place and Where - to keep the "Child" table filtering only the record selected in the "parent" table.

Parent Table = RecSum
                        Child Table = RecDetail

My first problem is the recsumID is not being automatically stored in the Child Table that it is linked to.

So the parent table ID is linked by the child grid field named "recSumID". How do I get the RecSumID to be auto populated with the ID from the parent table RecSum?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                        X