Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Dialog Check-Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dialog Check-Box

I've a checkbox on a dialog form. I am having trouble showing it's state as "checked" on form load.

Aside from that the checkbox works great.

I've looked through the HTML of the page without the checkbox checked and with the checkbox checked and the difference is that the checked box has the additional option "checked=True".

How do I get that option using the Alpha5 software so that it will show up on form load?

Re: Dialog Check-Box

Not 100% sure but I think true in alpha5/xbasic is .t. not TRUE...

Not had great luck with checkboxes myself though so might be very wrong!

Comment

In the control properties box ( ie when you add the control to the dialog)

if the Data type is character, there is a initial value property to set

if the Data type is logical, there is an initial state property to set
      Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM. Reason: add image..
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al,

Thank you for this. Up until your explanation, I could not get them to work. Now I understand and they are very cool!

Gary
        Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

please help. i still can't get logical checkboxes to work.

Creating a dialog, In the control properties box, Data type is set to logical,
          if i set the initial state to False, is see value="True" in the pagesource.
          Should this not be value="False"?

(if i set the state to True i get (correctly) checked="checked" value="True")

(i'm very new to anything web.
          i know i could create the above as character & set up T/F choices, but then is there any sense in having logical fields in a table?)

Comment

The checkbox value of "true" or "false" doesn't represent that the box is checked or not. A checkbox can have a value of "banannas" and still work.

The value= tag in pagesource does not represent the state/property of being checked or not being checked. I had trouble with this myself until I did some reading.

Check out this tutorial:

http://www.echoecho.com/htmlforms09.htm

Comment

Thank you for the echo link! and for your quick response,

does this mean that something needs to be coded in order to deal with this as a logical data type?
              setting the initial state to False is misleading?

A5 help:
              "CheckBox Properties
              Check boxes are appropriate when you want to set a True/False value into a logical field. The most important property for a check box control is the definition of its choices."
              is ambiguous (there are no choices for the value of a logical field).

since i need to set choices, it would easiest to set this up as character?

and then, is there any sense in having logical fields in a table?

or another ? is - how to initialize the value of a checkbox to False?
              Last edited by gudbrand; 04-28-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: i meant false, not true

Comment

I actually don't use logical check boxes myself. I do a conversion when I am evaluating the box, and for that I use the function convert_type(value, type) Type is a string value that represents a variable type. IE for logical (true/false) type would be "L".

So in my code I have something that looks like this:

if (convert_type(variable, "L") == .t.)

The reason I don't use logical values is because I store my data as the "bit" data type in my database engine. A checkbox really is a logical "true/false" pair or you can also think of it as numeric "1/0" pair. I would stay away from character type because the character strings are less efficient and require more coding work. But remember that everything HTML is character based, even numeric values, so the application is always doing conversions.

So how does the numeric type translate to this "bit" type? easily, the database engine does the work. I don't have to do any translation.

Further, to set the default value, I use the database engine, not the alpha5 tools. I find it is much more efficient. By default, a record that does not exist will show as unchecked but your database engine can override that when the record is created(committed). I did it this way because like you, I was a bit frustrated with the handling of the checkbox in Alpha5, and for my applications it was not important to know what the default value was of a field until after a http POST operation.

The other thing I typically do in Alpha is make my checkbox fields always assume "false". IE: insted of having a field that says "Denied" checked, I will have a field that says "Approved" unchecked. That way the application doesn't need any intelligence around the checkbox, other than to store it's value after a HTTP Post.

Comment

gosh you are helpful. forgive me, i know so little.
                  my background is mainframe, so i understand a bit about bits (and efficient code)

so, data type logical is held as character.
                  in an AlphaFive dbf is blob the same as your reference to ""bit" data type"? i only need 1 bit?
                  (do i need to learn about SQL too?)

i need the check box to work just like i would think, and it sounds like you would think too,
                  a 'logical' variable starts out being not true and not checked,
                  and if the box gets checked, the variable gets set to true.
                  (and on display, if true, show checked)

there are various frustrated threads on this (if i could find them again).

i'd like to have an a5wcmp dialog that does this.
                  (perhaps AlphaSoft could put this out as a patch, rather than waiting for v10?
                  (sorry, not sure how to use this message board at all, either searching or posting.))

i'm afraid the development of this web app is going to go to a seasoned PHP/Java/SQL programmer.

Comment

ok. never mind about the blobs and bits. i see this is much easier to do than i was understanding. i knew i must be missing something.

still wondering though - are you using SQL databases?

Comment

I am using MS SQL server 2005 to store my data.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Working...
                        X