Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Printing photo from file on pdf report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printing photo from file on pdf report

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious....

I have photos in jpg files on the server in a directory named "photos", and I can calculate the name of the photo file I want to print in a report as

"c:\a5\a5webroot\photos\\"+idcode+".1.jpg"

where idcode is a field in the grid. So far, so good.

The problem is, I'm designing the report and can't figure out how to specify on the report to use that photo. It seems like the bitmap object in the report editor only allows a fixed name rather than a calculated name.

How do I get a photo from a calculated name to appear on the report?

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Re: Printing photo from file on pdf report

I'd think you will have to reference it as an image reference file in a table.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Pete,

Thanks. I put in an Image Reference File field and loaded the picture into it, but I still can't get the picture to print in the PDF.

Has anyone been able to make this work? What's the trick?

Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Pat - make certain you are using the latest release patch - it's only recently fixed issues with the image reference file settings.

You need to ensure the image is located in a folder under the folder that contains the table that references it.

Check the release notes in the patch for more explanation.

Hope this helps.

Peter
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

Pat - did you get this to work? I can't either. Also tried using an HTML field in the report pointing to the full image URL, That didn't work either.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

No, I haven't.

To make it as difficult as possible, I'm trying to put the photo in a conditional object on the report so that, if the photo doesn't exist, it shows a square with "No Photo Available" in it.

The "No Photo..." works fine, but not the photo itself.

In my case, the photo exists in a sub-directory on the server, so I'm trying to access it though either the image file reference or a calculated field.

Hmmmm. Maybe I can create a global variable and pass it to the report???

Pat
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

What I had to do was to regularly update the field in the database, to either point at "No Image" or the right image, I could not get the calculated path to work yet...

WatchDirectory is VERY useful for this, esp. when combined with cURL - you can either automate this when new images are added to a folder, or run something nightly to store the path for each item/product in the DB.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that concept.

Pat
                Pat Bremkamp
                MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Andrea,

Are you saying you got an Image Reference Field to properly embed an image in a PDF report running on the WAS (not local, but in the browser). I can't even if I manually enter the full path in the field.

-------------------

Also I note that the Image Refefence Field behaves differently on the WAS. If you open the table in a copy of Alpha on the server and compare the behaviour of an Image Reference Field in that and the Desktop, they act differently. For instance, the normal Edit dialog does not appear to the right of the field when the field has focus.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

You guys ever get this working?
                    Tommy Thompson
                    Thompson Consulting Services
                    Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                    [email protected]

Comment

There is a bug in V9 that has been fixed in V10, I don't know if it will be fixed in V9. But it will not work without being published (IT MUST BE PUBLISHED) in a folder called images in the same folder as the adb file resides, which kind of defeats the purpose of the file type. The fix in v10 does not require the image to be publshed.

I understand your frustration with this. It was a mjor problem, if you cannot figure it, then you should request to become a beta program tester and start using V10.

Comment

Yes, I got it to work in Version 9. The photos are located in the data directory (not in the web root) and the key was to fully specify the path in the Image File reference field.

Pat
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I don't know so, does the "Image File reference field" exist outside of Alpha? Does a similar field type exist in Sybase or MySQL, etc. required in order to use the image in a PDF report?
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

It does not go in the webroot, sits in the folder where the adb file is. Folder called images, you can have subfolders. Just like the data it does not need to be published.

Comment

My understanding of a Image Reference File field is that it contains the path to the image file. Such as c:\data\images\tom.jpg. If this is the case, then why is this type of field (image) not available in the DataSubmitted (grid) fields in a Validate Event?

Here is what I'm trying to do. I have an employee table that has an image reference file field that points to their signature (jpg).
                              I got the bright idea of doing a lookup that got the image reference file field and then putting it in something like DataSubmitted.Employee_Signature. Employee_Signature is an IRF in the employee detail time table. Unfortunately, a field defined as an image doesn't seem to be available in the insert list.

I guess I could do this with a table.change().

Any other ideas?
                              Tommy Thompson
                              Thompson Consulting Services
                              Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X