Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to speed-up Columnar Grid for next page, 3 tables few hundred records ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to speed-up Columnar Grid for next page, 3 tables few hundred records ?

Hello,

I am new to Alpha Five, recently started learning for web applications.

I want to display data from the MySql database [3 tables] into the Grid [columnar Tab]. I have generated the grid using GridBuilder, but the page is very slow to load. It is taking the 45-50 seconds for the next page loading.

How do I can speed-up this ?

Will writing xBasic, ajax coding the Grid with columnar[tab] will make it faster ?

Table1 has about 500 records
    Table2 has about 900 records
    Table3 has about 400 records

The PC I am trying this is P4 2.0 Ghz , 512 RAM, 80 GB HDD. Have the Alpha Five Server on local/same PC.

Appreciate suggestions and help.

Regards
    Sham Yemul
    Software Entrepreneur
    www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Re: How to speed-up Columnar Grid for next page, 3 tables few hundred records ?

Jerry Brightbill has done great articles on this - search this board and you will find your answers.

Gary
    Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

do not know which MS version you are using but, 512 ram seems not enough for a PC which has to deal with Operating sysem, the Alpha internal web server, the Alpha development environment and the MYsql DB running....

Comment

Originally posted by rleunis View Post
        do not know which MS version you are using but, 512 ram seems not enough for a PC which has to deal with Operating sysem, the Alpha internal web server, the Alpha development environment and the MYsql DB running....
        Alpha five application server is on the Windows-XP [Version2002 SP2]. I have checked on Windows XP [local web server] as well as Windows 2003 Server [Remote Web Server] it takes 45-50 seconds on local machine and 60 seconds on remote web server for the next page loading.
        Software Entrepreneur
        www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
          Jerry Brightbill has done great articles on this - search this board and you will find your answers.

Gary
          Hi Gary,

Thanks for the message.

I searched & read articles by JerryBrightbill ,in one of the articles he described when there are drop-downs are used. I don't have drop-downs.

In one of the article [Very S-l-o-w page Opening] he had explained the Grid Linker linked with the different component because of this the grid is slow. But my issue is on the Grid columnar tab componant,the navigation for the next page is very slow.

=Sham
          Software Entrepreneur
          www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Comment

Hi,

I agree with Ron though. If you only have 512 RAM on the machine that has the WAS, that is most likely your problem. I use an old Emachine, but it has 3 MB RAM, and the pages load in no more than 7 or 8 seconds, usually faster.
            Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Originally posted by drgarytraub View Post
              Hi,

I agree with Ron though. If you only have 512 RAM on the machine that has the WAS, that is most likely your problem. I use an old Emachine, but it has 3 MB RAM, and the pages load in no more than 7 or 8 seconds, usually faster.
              thanks again,

its 512 mb RAM

Regards
              Sham
              Software Entrepreneur
              www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Comment

Sham,
                I am quite sure Gary meant 3 Gigabyte of Ram (especially considering there has not been ram of 3 Mb for quite some time). And have to agree that 512 Mb ram is way too little--I actually consider that to be minimum to run WinXP adequately (even though Microsoft says 256 is enough, it does not meet practical applications in that the system will too often be too slow and even crash). Although it may not be the only issue with speed, to experience slowness with 512 ram with everything you are running is expected I feel.
                Mike

Comment

Yes,

I meant 3 GB RAM
                  Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Hello,

Though the local web server has 512 MB ram, the remote web server which has public domain too takes time,

http://hypodo.com/MManage2/

Remote web server Runs on Windows 2003 Server, Dual Processor with 2GB RAM.

PS : the url seems not showing the Grid now, I will check what's going wrong, it had port problem so I had to set to use 81 , 1080 etc.

Regards
                    Sham Yemul
                    Software Entrepreneur
                    www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Comment

Takes about 10-15 seconds to load from Netherlands. When trying to save new video I get:

404 Not Found

The requested URL /MManage2/page_MM.a5w was not found on this server.

Speed: Tables, are indexed?, grid has primary key defined?, On which system runs the database (same as webserver?), upload speed of your site?. In your grid you use an order by, which is different then the index?

Comment

Thanks for message, my answer inline with yours,

Originally posted by rleunis View Post
                        Takes about 10-15 seconds to load from Netherlands.
                        => if you try next page at the bottom of grid, it takes more than 30 seconds. I am checking from India, the server is in UK.

When trying to save new video I get:

404 Not Found

The requested URL /MManage2/page_MM.a5w was not found on this server.
                        => Sorry, fixed now it works ok.

Speed: Tables, are indexed?, grid has primary key defined?, On which system runs the database (same as webserver?), upload speed of your site?. In your grid you use an order by, which is different then the index?
                        => Database is MySql and runs on different machine than the web server. The Grid has primary key defined and there is no Order by used , no indexes .

Regards
                        Sham
                        Software Entrepreneur
                        www.Intellisoft.Co.In

Comment

Running requests from India to servers on UK will be slower than local servers. You should define an indexes on the tables in MYSQL similar to the order by field in the grid. regards,Ron

Comment

Your problem may have little to do with the data source. The columnar grid you have designed has a 5 tabs for each row which all have to be constructed and populated on each page request. There are a total of 17 fields per record. Even though you are only showing 4 records at one time, that is a complex structure to build with a lot of data.

A more common construction would be a tabular grid with detail view with one line per record in the tabular grid and just enough information to identify the record, such as the 3 fields on the detail tab. Each row can then have a detail view with tabs to show the rest of the data for that record.

A simple method to isolate if the speed problem is data or structure related is to construct a simple tabular grid with one field, such as the title. Use the same query string as used for the current grid. Add that to a test page and run it and see if the problem still exists.

If the speed of the page with one field is still slow, then it is related to the speed of the query. If you have based the query on a table or view, the query is trying to return every field in the table. When just a table is selected, the query is of the format "SELECT * from TableName" . Change the query to base it on a SQL Select statement and only select the fields actually used. In the one field test grid, select that one field. It is often a good idea to also include the primary key field in the query. Apply no filter or order and test the grid.

If that configuration is still slow, investigate the connection speed between the application server and the data server, and verify the MySQL database is properly configured and optimized. You may require the services of a MySQL expert to troubleshoot those problems.

However, if the tabular grid with a single field and the current query is fast (under optimal conditions it should load in about 1-2 second), the problem is the complex layout of the columnar grid. Try simplifying the design until the speed is acceptable.

Comment

Good stuff Jerry. I know you have mentioned more in other threads about how to optimize grids for performance, but it may be scattered around the forum...

What about compiling a separate page in the documentation or Alpha site, which lists all those recommendations regarding performance (Like not too much usage of dropdowns...).

Especially now more and more people seem to be using SQL Database instead of native DBF files, you might want to include specific advice for that too speed up performance when using SQL DB's.

This as a reference and guideline for all us web developers. Would be great if you could find the time. Thanks, Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X