Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Error with page loading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error with page loading

I have installed the program, I am trying to view it from the Grid Builder where you can view it in a Live Preview and it does not show up. Page cannot I then try to click on the Browser button on the top and this opens IE and it does not show. I have tried to publish it to see if that helps, still nothing. I have the Application Server turned on.

I have the Web Projects Control Panel with the current folder MyMailListUnsecure and have Web Components file MyMailListUnsecureWC andtry to publish this, still to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Error with page loading

You've installed what program? And then, please be more specific with the details in your question, i.e., what does "it" refer to, etc.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

I installed Alpha Five V9. I am going through Alpha Five Web Applications Made Easy and at Creating a Web Project for ABC Seminars making the mailing list.

Under Web Projects Control Panel, web components, is MyMailListUnsecureWC. If I double click this, it opens the Grid Builder. On the bottom of this screen, there are four tabs, Preview, HTML, XBasic, Live Preview. I have published all the files. When I click on the Liver Preview tab, the program tries to generate the page and then comes up with, The Program Cannot Display this Page.

I have also tried to open the Browser by the from the button at top, and I get the same error. I have tried to open this with Mozilla Firefox and IE7. Firefox gives this error

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.

Cannot determine why the page will not come up.

Garry

Comment

Odd error. By any chance running on Vista and have your localhost webroot (set on the Appl Server configuration screen) set to something other than c:\a5webroot. Have you tried viewing other A5W pages in the brower, not part of this tutorial?
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Running on Windows XP Pro.
          Webroot is set to c:\a5webroot

It looks like for some reason, when I publish the files, they are saved to C:\A5Webroot\LivePreview instead of c:\A5Webroot, but the settings are set to save everything to C:A5Webroot. If I move the MyMailListUnsecureWC_LivePreview.a5w to the c:\A5Webroot folder manually, it can see the page, but if I click a hyperlink, it gives me the same error.

It seems that it is putting the files in the wrong folder, but there are no settings under the application server that are pointing to this folder??

Comment

See if any of this helps clarify -

LivePreview is completely separate from Localhost. When you click either the Browser icon or the LivePreview tab, it does publish to c:\a5webroot\livepreview regardless of your project name or anything else. Grids almost always run fine from the LivePreview (either the tab or Browser icon), but full A5W pages may not properly work under LivePreview, but you are not doing that, so ignore.

You cannot move files from one location to another, they won't necessarily work.

Files named *.a5wcmp cannot be opened with a browser at all.

Only the files named *.a5w can be opened with a browser.

Publishing has no impact on what happens when you click LivePreview or the Browser icon, they are separate locations on the server.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

I copied the A5W page to the A5Webroot to see if I could get it to load in a browser, which it did.

The livepreview folder is where the files are located, but when I click the Browser or Live Preview tab, I get the error.

So I guess the real question is, why do the files in the livepreview folder not display in a web browser or in the program under the Live Preview tab?

Comment

Dunno, stumped. You need to determine if it is the tutorial files, or Alpha in general. I bet the later and there is a config error or a conflict. But there is not much in the way of configuration, so I don't know and would probably have to look.

I'd create a brand new project, create a dummy new grid or page and see if that works to eliminate the tutorial files as the problem.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

I am having a problem with Live Preview. Just started yesterday. All my web components will not show up in Live Preview. They used to show up. I even repulished a few along with the web page, and nothing. Just a blank *.a5w page. This goes for any web component period!! All of them including the ones I created 4 months ago. I am doing this on my local machine, so luckily none of my clients are effected and I am able to publish to their servers and that works okay. I just do not have a way to preview my work.

I am running the latest A5 build 2055_3258. Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. Any suggestions???
                  Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Well I got it fixed. I uninstalled A5v9. cleaned up keys with regedit. Then reinstalled A5. It is working now. I have gone back to an earlier build.
                    Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Blank View Post
                      I am doing this on my local machine, so luckily none of my clients are effected and I am able to publish to their servers and that works okay. I just do not have a way to preview my work.
                      Dan

I normally don't use Live Preview and have another profile that publishes to the local server and do the test there..

Edit: :D And when something doesn't work, restarting A5 can catch a thing or too...
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I had found that a setting had been changed in my Application Server Settings. Somehow SSL had been checked and it would not allow the page to display. Not sure if this is any help, but it took quite a while to find this setting. Thanks to John Campana for his help finding it.

Comment

Originally posted by gmalcom View Post
                          I had found that a setting had been changed in my Application Server Settings. Somehow SSL had been checked and it would not allow the page to display. Not sure if this is any help, but it took quite a while to find this setting. Thanks to John Campana for his help finding it.
                          Gremlins I say....

And John does a good job of finding them..... ;)

Thanks for letting the rest of us know...
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD
                          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I have the same problem now. Localhost worked fine this afternoon, but not tonight. 4 hours of looking, no joy.

Vista.

Folder permissions unchanged, double-checked.

Reviewed all settings in Web App Server - see no problems.

Uninstalled Norton. No effect.

Installed updated Java build. Nothing.

Changed default browser from Firefox to IE. Same result.

Made no changes in my A5 between this afternoon and evening.

Fails using Web App Sample as well as any of my custom work.

For whatever reason, Localhost just isn't available.

Sleepless night coming next...
                            -Steve
                            sigpic

Comment

Try the simple method first. From the Wiondows control panel uninstall Alpha Five v9. Then reinstall an earlier version. It should (saying that lightly) work. If that doesn't do it, then it becomes regedit time.

Also I still have not applied the latest patch.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X