Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

The lookup field does not return the data.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The lookup field does not return the data.

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
    Colin, your duties are stacking up! Did you get my images to appear in the PDF report?
    Ha HA Steve, I don't believe it was me who had that issuse, Mine are more the Aurigam control (working Great now thanks).
    And now working out an easy way to overide/ overpower the A5 calendar control.
    As you noted airline companies use such a thing, so it can't be too hard, can it? :-)

Comment

You're right, it was your neighbor in Melbourne.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Not knowing the thinking process of web development as some of you guys, makes hard for me know the possibilities or the limits.
        Some time the help we, "new guys" are seeking is guidance more than code.
        The way Steve explained will make sense. as how the data flow works.
        On the other hand, Colin you are expressing a choice with a detail view.
        How will I design that idea?
        Perhaps there is another choice; Lets say that we use an "image reference field" to receive the data from a lookup, how will that play?
        In other words we fill the field with data(path and name)and then submitted. the record will be stored and we move to another page "for approval" displaying now the record with the graphics.
        Is that scenario doable?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
          You CAN bring back an Image Fieldname as a normal character field, say "c:\photos\image1001.jpg" in to a normal character field using the lookup. Then you can use that image path and filename to show your image when you save the grid record by pressing submit. Nothing will happen with the image until you press submit. All of this stuff you are asking about requires Javascript because you want to make changes to your screen without going to the server (pressing the submit button).
          Steve is this the way, how do I tell it in the map, to fill the "image field reference"? I see the possiblities, but how I put in practice?

Comment

On the other hand, Colin you are expressing a choice with a detail view.
            How will I design that idea?

Hi Mike, I'm really keen to help you, but I'm rather unsure as to what exactly you wish to do.
            I'm guessing also that your real problem might be in the design area and not knowing exactly what is possible and what is easily possible
            -
            Please explore the jpg attached and see if this holds the "clue" that you reaaly need.
            If not we will find another way.
            - I'm still just not sure what it is that you really wish to do -
            but keep communicating and we'll resolve this one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinJD View Post
              [B] I'm rather unsure as to what exactly you wish to do.
              I really appreciate your help.
              Perhaps I can explain the objective. The sample I posted, has a desktop version. That is working perfectly. (thanks to Lance Gurd) and of course from MIkec, Stan Mathews & Tom Cone.

If you open the form StoredItemsForm, you will see a little difference in the approach.

First we select the "picturegroup", then select the "pictureclass" then I click the select "pictgrptxt". A browse with related items appears, press select and presto the image is in. That is the objective.

On the webside I found more difficult to have the grp and the class separate, so I combined them as a single choice. I let the grid of the pictures tables to give the choice of search for the right picture. The "select" works as far as bringing text. I can populate any thing from the picture table as long is not the image field.

The options here could accommodate the solution. I do not have to present the image at this time.
              All I need is to fill the picture field or related one with the necessary information to store the image location and then display the record in the next page after submit; Ready for approval & printing.

In my imagination, I see filling some field with the location of the image and stored it. (this information is not graphical, easy(ha) to fill) So any time I call this record It will show the picture with the record.

Help, help!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinJD View Post
                [B]
                -
                Please explore the jpg attached and see if this holds the "clue" that you reaaly need.
                I did try the addition of a detail view, but the issue remains. The image is not filling the image file.
                As I can see there no place to map the image.

Any other Ideas?

Comment

Ok I have an idea of something to do
                  Sit tight. :-)

Comment

The following threads show how to fill �image field reference�.
                    Is not exactly my case.

Solution from Stan Mathews. In populating an image field reference.
                    http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ield+reference

Assigning Images to Existing Records by Richard Rabins.

Cheryl lemyers solution there is a nice code here but is from a browser. Not a grid.

Can any of the above threads can have the answer to my problem.
                    If so, how can I extract the right code from above sample to accomplish the addition of the image name and location to the image reference field from a result of a grid after a �select� choice?

Colin can this help you?

Comment

At last the longly awaited example,
                      You'll need to copy the Photos Folder and call it "fotos" an the A5Webroot,
                      There are some remarks headed as "Demonstration" here and there that show the basic things done.
                      -
                      But Mike there is probably 100 and 1 ways of doing this and you'll probably discover when you finish this up, that you will be exposed to a better way
                      -
                      Hopefully this gives you some working code to play with, and you can increase your learning rate. Rather than fighting to get one stupid line to work for days on end.
                      Post back any questions you have :-)

Comment

I will get to it right now. Thanks.

Comment

I am having a bit of problem publishing to the local host to see the changes.
                          I get an error. See the picture. I try different restores. I have tried by placing the fotos folder in the a5webroot and inside the webroot of the graphic folder. No Luck so far.
                          Could the files be corrupted?

Comment

That error is unknown to me,
                            It was zipped via the standard 2003 zip proces
                            It was made from a directory C:\\GraphicsDB although I doubt that makes any issues.
                            If you like send me a private message with your email and I'll gmail them to you.
                            But I'll attach the 3 relevant files to this post.
                            The default publishing directory is normally C:\\A5webroot
                            I guess you should check you have read write execute permissions as well

Comment

Anyhow, This is the result

Comment

Working...
                              X