Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to determine who is logged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to determine who is logged in

I just made a blog post showing a method to determine who is logged in to your application(s) at any time.

http://alphatogo.blogspot.com/2009/0...logged-in.html
    Last edited by Steve Wood; 02-26-2009, 12:53 PM.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Re: Here's how to determine who is logged in

Very Good Steve! Thanks for this. Makes sense, yet simple and practical. I will need to start implimenting this!

Thanks again!
    Dan

Dan Blank builds Databases

Comment

Re: How to determine who is logged in

Steve,

What a creative idea! Thanks!!

Gary

also, I guess a refinement could be to write the name of the page that the user is currently on to the text file ?
      Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Definitely something I will review as I revisit my own "Who Is Logged In" code. Yours looks easier to implement!
        Eric

Alpha Five Websites
        longlivepuppies.com
        socialservicenetwork.com
        -------------------------------------------------
        socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

It funny how these things come about. I suddenly had a need for this functionality because I added a new client to my own server and needed to reboot and could not tell if they were logged in. I found a message board post by myself wherein I told someone else its not possible! But instead of believing my own statement, I figured out this process in five minutes. The key was I had used that filefind.get_recurse() function a day earlier, so it 'clicked' as a way to show who was logged in. I already added the feature to my template as a method for my clients to see who is logged in to their own application.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve, this is very cool. Where are you actually adding the code to.
            Chad Brown

Comment

It shows on the blog post, like where it says: "CODE on the LOGIN.A5W page". That would mean adding an A5W script to that page. It can go anywhere, but preferrable at the top left of the WYSIWYG view.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve
                Chad Brown

Comment

Hi,

I have attempted to use this code but it does not seem to be creating the user logged in text file.

Has anyone got this working on their webserver?

Denis

Comment

Make sure you include .txt in page security as always allowed. If not that, determine if the file IS being created by looking at your server, even if you don't seem to be able to open it in the browser.

By the way, I think this method could be greately enhanced. It's a little crude even though it accomplishes the task.
                    Steve Wood
                    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

I have checked the server, but the text file isn't being created. I have just set the txt allow in page security.

I just wanted to ask a few question about the variables;

CODE on the LOGIN.A5W page:
                      if eval_valid("submitbutton")
                      if eval_valid("userid") - Where is the userid value coming from?
                      dim session.__protected__userid as c
                      session.__protected__userid = userid - Is the protected variable being created here and taking the value from userid (excuse my ignorance)?

Denis

Comment

userid is the name of the control on the login dialog that accepts the username. Yes on the second question.

Cant help much past that, you need to figure out where it is failing. Insert some save_to_file() where approprite to see if a value is getting created for any of the vars.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks for that Steve.

Unfortunately, my knowledge with Xbasic is not great at all. I will try to breakdown what i understand from this script. I have not amended the original script in any way as I do not see a need to do so, unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Place this script in the top left of the WYSIWYG a5w page within a AlphaCode control.

Check to ensure that a 'submitbutton' variable exist. My submit button row label is 'Login', i will assume that the Alpha default control name is 'submitbutton'. Im not sure if i need to change this?

if eval_valid("submitbutton")

Check to ensure that a 'userid' variable exist. Although my UserID row label is named 'User ID', i will assume that the Alpha default control name is 'userid'. Im not sure if i need to change this?

if eval_valid("userid")

Create a protected session variable and make its value equal to the userid. (Im not sure why this is being done, as i do not see the protected session variable being used anywhere).

dim session.__protected__userid as c
                          session.__protected__userid = userid

Get the domain name, i think.

dim hst as c hst = alltrim(request.host)

Now create the filename to be created in the session folder.

filename = "loggedin"
                          filename = filename + "__" + time("0h0m")
                          filename = filename + "__" + userid
                          filename = filename + "__" + hst
                          filename = stritran(filename,".","_")
                          filename = stritran(filename,"@","_")
                          filename = stritran(filename,":","_")
                          filename = filename + ".txt"
                          save_to_file("loggedin",session.session_folder + filename)

Finally, terminate if statement.

end if
                          end if

So this is a fairly simple, but fantastically effective script. I cannot understand why it doesnt work.

In my app i have put a value in the 'session variable for identifier' field in the security settings, so i dont know if that would be causing the problem? Other than that, i am totally baffled!!

Denis

Comment

I have now managed to get the file to create. I basically added this code just below the HEAD marker on the a5w page.

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.01 transitional//en"
                            "http://www.w3.org/tr/html4/loose.dtd">
                            <html>
                            <head>
                            ******HERE******

Denis

Comment

Working...
                            X