Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Stuck with no help from Alpha folks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck with no help from Alpha folks

I am trying to print a report from the web server - local host and/or a hosted server but it's not working and so far trying to get help from Alpha as be useless. I have built an app and tried reports with no selection criteria, some with using Ask variables, arguments, and dialogs to prompt user. Tried printing reports from several of the sample web apps (customer db, sample web app, and their commerce app) and my app all with no luck and no help.

The reports work in workstation but not web side.

When I use ask variables I get this:
    Errors in: event.AfterValidate code:

Amyuni Low Level Print:
    Layout name: Worksheets@[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\worksheets.ddd
    Layout type: report
    Property is write only
    xx.last_button_pressed subelement not found.

All other attempts to print a report lock Alpha 5 v9 to the point I have to kill the app manually and reboot my pc to get alpha going again.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED - my boss is wondering if this is going to get fixed or did I make a mistake trying Alpha.

Would gladly talk with someone by phone if that would help get this resolved.
    727 515-0456

Re: Stuck with no help from Alpha folks

The Ask variables method is for Desktop only, won't work on the web.

Lets start with the sample apps. You would have installed those sample applications on your computer and published them to the localhost or remote server, and then tried to run the reports from a browser. Are all of those steps accurate?

If all of those reports fail, do they produce the same error in all cases? Show the details of the error.

For your own worksheets report, you might copy your AfterValidate code here for us to look at.

Curious - did you go to Alpha through their support service, or just call their office and leave a message?
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Lets start with the sample apps. You would have installed those sample applications on your computer and published them to the localhost or remote server, and then tried to run the reports from a browser. Are all of those steps accurate?

Correct

If all of those reports fail, do they produce the same error in all cases? Show the details of the error.

No errors shown. Just goes out to ozone land. Cursor shows working but nothing happens in browser. Rotating circle in vista - would be hour glass in XP. Close the browser and arrow cursor again. Switch to alpha and busy cursor shown again try to click on any thing in alpha window and window get milky white over the app window and cursor still busy signal. I have to close the app by clicking on X in upper right of window. After that I have to reboot my pc to get alpha to load and run properly. This happens with my app and their sample apps. Did a uninstalled and reinstalled of A5V9Enterprise but didn't help. Would you be willing to talk on the phone? Call me @ 727 515-0456 or I would gladly call you. I really appreciate your help. It's been really frustrating the last week or so not being able to make ANY progress with this effort.

For your own worksheets report, you might copy your AfterValidate code here for us to look at.

dim filter as c
      dim order as c
      Filter = ".T."
      Order = ""
      Dim filename as c
      filename = session.session_folder + "tempreport.pdf"
      filename = report.saveas("Worksheets@[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\worksheets.ddd","pdf",filter,order,filename,.f.)
      if file.exists(filename)
      currentform.RedirectTarget = session.session_url + "tempreport.pdf?" + time("hms3")
      end if

Curious - did you go to Alpha through their support service, or just call their office and leave a message?

Talked with customer support a few times, talked to Brett, emailed Richard which got me in contact with Theresa. She she that she would have someone named John contact me. Never happened. Finally called back to customer support again and was suggested that I start the whole process over again. DUH! I get at let 3 to 5 emails a week from alpha wanting me to buy something. Wish I received the same attention after the purchase!

Comment

Steve

I made some progress today. Part of the problem was me not knowing Alpha well enough and what needs to be done to pass input values in web apps.

the other part is it seems that the pdf module isn't working properly with my PC.

I finally got the nerve to publish my stuff up to the live server and the components work fine and the pdf reports loaded up correctly. I was afraid that I would hose the server like I did when trying the reports on localhost.

I am running vista 64 and it appears that the pdf report writer, the web server or my install is not totally happy running on my computer. I have reinstalled Alpha on my pc and did the patches with no change in my original problem but at least I know that I can process even though I can't test reports with out publishing them to the host server.

That's for the info on Ask variables not available on web apps.

As usual learning things the hard way ... Thanks for your help.

Comment

Here is a post that appears to deal with PDF on Vista 64. I'm one of those guys that will be skipping the whole Vista OS. (Dell still offers a 'downgrade' to XP on all new systems).
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve

Didn't see the link to the fix but did a search on pdf vista 64* and found the post about the nul port and the alpha printer. It worked!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by gpratt View Post
              Steve

Didn't see the link to the fix but did a search on pdf vista 64* and found the post about the nul port and the alpha printer. It worked!!!

Thank you so much for your help!

Gary
              So would that be this post?
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD
              Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
              Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
              When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
              "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
              Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al

That is the one. I followed the directions and it worked great.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X