Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Works on localhost but not the Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Works on localhost but not the Web

Please forgive me, but I'm new to this and might not have all the terminology down yet.

I desperately need some help. I have gone thru the book and the training videos and I'm sure I have just missed some small thing but for the life of me I can't find it.

I have a database set up, I have the web application set up and it works perfectly when I view it in localhost. I have acquired a VPS account and I am running the web application server on it (not the whole program, just the server app) I worked on getting it set up, I've set the folders to pull the data from. When I go to the url we have set for this particular project, the main html page comes up just fine, but when I try to click a link that should take the user to another page it doesnt work.

Basically what I am doing is making a cemetery database for genealogy uses. The main page I set up is the page where you click which letter of the alphabet you want to go to and it should take you to the .aw5 page where those names are...except it doesnt.

Could some nice person please point me to where I might read about what I havent set up correctly? I dont know if its in my html code, or what, but after a week of trying to figure it out I'm past pulling out my hair.

this is the site http://www.ohiotranscriptions.com/

It may be just simple coding, each letter right now is pointing to /localhost/filename but I have tried to change this to where the files are stored on the server /A5Webroot/filename and that doesnt work either so I put everything back the way it was for the time being.

Thanks!!

Re: Works on localhost but not the Web

There are two things wrong. First, the target for your links should just be the page name, franklinh.a5w for instance. Second, you have not actually published those files to the server so they don't exist, that's why they don't work. Number three is less important right now, more of a design comment - you have a different page for each letter A-Z. You should be able to maintain a single page using a Grid filtered to show the correct records by alpha.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      There are two things wrong. First, the target for your links should just be the page name, franklinh.a5w for instance. Second, you have not actually published those files to the server so they don't exist, that's why they don't work. Number three is less important right now, more of a design comment - you have a different page for each letter A-Z. You should be able to maintain a single page using a Grid filtered to show the correct records by alpha.
      ok to make sure I understand

the html code for the target should just be
      a href="franklinh.a5w" ?

I have published them (or I thought I had) many many times, possibly Im missing something in the process?
      yes I have a different page for each letter, thats what the client wants (at least right now until I show him how it can be better, but I cant until I can get it to work online lol)

Comment

I was in the middle of dinner and it dawned on me what's going on. You are running IIS and the main page that comes up is a HTML page, not an Alpha A5W page. Are you even running the Alpha Application Server? If you are, then you can't be running it on port 80 because IIS is obviously running on that port.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I was in the middle of dinner and it dawned on me what's going on. You are running IIS and the main page that comes up is a HTML page, not an Alpha A5W page. Are you even running the Alpha Application Server? If you are, then you can't be running it on port 80 because IIS is obviously running on that port.
          lol sorry to have my problem interrupt you dinner

Yes I am running the alpha 5 web server (have a license for it) I have it set on port 8080

so, my main page shouldnt be index.html it should be index.aw5?

Comment

Then you must open your application with the port in the url, like this:

http://www.ohiotranscriptions.com:8080

and then the other pages will open like this:

http://www.ohiotranscriptions.com:8080/franklina.a5w
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Then you must open your application with the port in the url, like this:

http://www.ohiotranscriptions.com:8080

and then the other pages will open like this:

http://www.ohiotranscriptions.com:8080/franklina.a5w
              one more question and then I will try all this when I get back to the computer that has all my "stuff" and see if I have anymore questions.

when you say open the application with the port in the URL, do I set that as the default somewhere so that anyone can just type www.ohiotranscriptions and have it get there? if so where?

Comment

If IIS is running and using port 80, then you cannot get to the Alpha server without the port 8080 appended to the URL. There's no setting in Alpha that can override this fact. Obviously you don't want this. You must either turn off the IIS web server so that port 80 is available to Alpha (and set Alpha to port 80), or you have to figure out how to use ISS to redirect traffic to the Alpha server. I don't know how to do that, not sure you can.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

If IIS is running and using port 80, then you cannot get to the Alpha server without the port 8080 appended to the URL. There's no setting in Alpha that can override this fact. Obviously you don't want this. You must either turn off the IIS web server so that port 80 is available to Alpha (and set Alpha to port 80), or you have to figure out how to use ISS to redirect traffic to the Alpha server. I don't know how to do that, not sure you can.
                  This must be where I'm really unclear then, I thought you HAD to use the IIS...you're saying that you dont? Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to set up the VPS and not use it?

Comment

AHA!! I figured it out....wooohoooo

thank you so much, I really appreciate the help...Im sure I will have some more questions but thank you so much for getting me this far.

Comment

when you say open the application with the port in the URL, do I set that as the default somewhere so that anyone can just type www.ohiotranscriptions and have it get there? if so where?
                      Shannon

For reference remember that this can often be set up at the router also via port forwarding.
                      EG server Ip is
                      may be 10.1.1.100 and
                      start port 80
                      end port 80
                      port forward is 8080
                      Thus even if IIS is running on Port 80 it will be ignored by incoming traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinJD View Post
                        Shannon

For reference remember that this can often be set up at the router also via port forwarding.
                        EG server Ip is
                        may be 10.1.1.100 and
                        start port 80
                        end port 80
                        port forward is 8080
                        Thus even if IIS is running on Port 80 it will be ignored by incoming traffic.
                        Colin, IM sorry to say thats totally over my head (Im having to learn how to work windows server 2003 along with learning the Alpha software....can you say major headache?

Comment

I need help again... I have gotten a new computer with Windows 7 on it. I got the RTD set up but I am having the same issue I had before... but I cannot remember how I fixed it. When I try to start the Alpha server I get the port 80 is busy message again. Can anyone using W7 remind me what it is I need to turn off to get this to work?

Comment

Working...
                          X