Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Is there a future for desktop applications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glenschild
    replied
    Re: Is there a future for desktop applications.

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
    Is cheaper tu encrypt 1 hard drive than 1,000.
    That is very true and for those in that position fine, but many are individually registered and use laptops as they are needed.

Nevertheless this is getting away from my main point which was that desktop requirements will be around for a long while yet.

Kind regards

Glen

Leave a comment:

• mmaisterrena
    replied

Is cheaper tu encrypt 1 hard drive than 1,000.

Leave a comment:

• glenschild
    replied

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
    This wouldnt be necesary if all the info was on an internal server
    Sorry you are wrong. A recent case of a stolen server resulted in a very hefty fine because the data was not encrypted.

Leave a comment:

• mmaisterrena
    replied

I agree that the cloud isnt for every one. but that doesnt means that they wont be using servers or clusters of servers internally (intanet) and that they will be using Web Based software on their browser OS, I think that Is just a matter of time (not much time)

*Google might be the next Microsoft

On a related note there have been several instances over here in recent times of laptops and disks/usb sticks being stolen containing sensitive personal data (often from public/government organisations. ) As a result of this we are being practically forced down the road of having whole disk encryption on all hard disks. That is not a cheap option at all!
    This wouldnt be necesary if all the info was on an internal server
    Last edited by mmaisterrena; 06-18-2009, 11:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• glenschild
    replied

In my view the "cloud" environment has a major major drawback for some businesses as a result of which I can see it never working in some if not many areas.

I am talking about that dreaded legal and often "stay in business" issue known as data protection.

The legal requirements for the control of personal sensitive information means that in some industries they will NEVER store data somewhere where they do not have complete control.

Take the financial services industry here in the UK. Recent legislative changes require the storage of records for LIFE. It used to be that records had to be kept for a few years after a contract or policy ended. The immediate effect of this is that the sheer volume of physical storage of paperwork is going up and up. It is however allowed for records to be stored electronically BUT the responsibility for the security of the data (in ANY format) lies with the registered individual or firm that sold or services that client.

I am a registered individual (licenced by the Financial Services Authority) and there is no way am I gong to place myself in a vulnerable position of having data somewhere in internet land (and I have not even mentioned the other legal issues over storage of such data outside the borders of the European Union!)

The document archive system I am developing therefore needs to be as secure as possible and involves the ongoing scanning and electronic storage of a massive amount of data. Yes this could be done via a web based system within an Intranet environment. But many such licensed individuals do not operate in such environments, working on stand alone systems. There is plenty of scope and life yet in desktop based systems.

On a related note there have been several instances over here in recent times of laptops and disks/usb sticks being stolen containing sensitive personal data (often from public/government organisations. ) As a result of this we are being practically forced down the road of having whole disk encryption on all hard disks. That is not a cheap option at all!

Leave a comment:

• mmaisterrena
    replied

I think hardware vendors will concentrate on potable stuff like smartphones, netbooks etc (isnt this all ready heppening?) and the other side is that more powerfull servers will be needed.

Leave a comment:

• Steven P.
    replied

Hi,

If computing power will be less important, what business model will there be left for chip companies like intel and AMD where faster is better. The lifecycle of computers in companies will increase from 3 to 15 years since the browser is all we need ?

I honestly think with this kind of premise, the hardware world and inevitably the software world, will shoot itself in the foot. I don't believe in Cloud computing, since I want to have control over my data instead of leaving it in the hands of some corporations (such as google) that can use it for their purposes whatever they may entail.

Time will tell I would say but if computing power will only be necessary for playing games like Crysis 2 or Prototype, the future for hardware will surely be bleak.

Cheers
    Steven

Leave a comment:

• mmaisterrena
    replied

Sorry but there's no long term future for desktop applications, Browsers will be our Operating Systems by 2016, so we better act upon this. Software will depend less and less on the power of our Personal Computers and more on the power of servers , clusters of servers and the infamous Cloud,

Its a new way of thinking.. to putt it simple: why have the same "Word Document" on 1000000 different hard drives when we can just share that 1 Document and even interact collaboratively with it.

I even think that alpha5 will be web-based by version 13 (how ever its called). they will use their own technology to do this in the same way they used xbasic to make the current version of alpha.

Leave a comment:

• FrankR
    replied

There needed to be at least one more choice to the poll:

1. No, keep the desktop alive and increase the development at it.
    2. Yes, stop desktop development and focus entirely on Web based solutions.

3. Going forward, focus more on the web side than the desktop side

Leave a comment:

• FrankR
    replied

The ability to do the desktop side shouldn't go away tomorrow.
    It has a place. But, no doubt in my mind - as the days and years pass,
    the web side becomes more important, while the desktop side becomes less important.

And I would make the same argument for - embedded, file-based databases.
    As time passes, less and less solutions make sense with an embedded, file-based database, and more and more solutions - even small ones - make sense with an actual database engine.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.Greulich
    replied

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
    This is all "browser based" and that does not mean that it needs to be used on the web. Apps created for an intranet will offer similar functionality to the "desktop" applications that you now think are being forgotton about. It allows one to much more simply create multi-user applications that can now run on any machine or OS that you want - Windows, Mac, Windows Mobile, Linux, Unix, iPhone, etc. And if you decide to you want portions of your app visible to the outside world, by altering your security settings and not your app then it can be.
    Great point(s), Doug. One could have a single user browser based app - if you want. The web or browser based applications may not be the be-all/end-all of computer functionality, but they do provide a lot of advantages (as you state).

Originally posted by Steven P. View Post
    ... Printing HTML reports ? Where is the pagebreak ?
    oh, there is none... hopefully you're using the A4 format in your printer.
    Well, sure, but you would probably print to PDF, which Alpha does automatically in v10.

Do we need to mention the technical difficulties of users modifying the same data ? Keeping track of state with connection-less software ?
    The same methods still applied but it's much more error prone. Users closing the browser without saving ... no message will be displayed when you close the browser. Locking of users on an application level is virtual impossible since you don't know what the actions of the user will be in a internet browser ... etc...

No, still the use of desktop application should be stressed but maybe more in a hybrid way.
    Steven,

You make good points too. The desktop is far from "dead" and may never be. Who knows? But one thing is clear, the computing world continues to rapidly evolve, and for now, at least, the web is in the forefront of that - and so is Alpha.

Leave a comment:

• NicholasWieland
    replied

All are correct!

I believe that the "INTRANET APPS" are hybrid in nature.
    • deployment is easy
    • updates one place
    • allows workers to work from home without - logmein, gotomeeting fee.
    • allows any operating system to use, windows, linus, unix, mac etc.
    • connects smart phone technology to use Alpha

The major players in the industry are betting on offsite computing and datacenters to be off site and you will be paying for the use of an app by month no updates smaller IT departments etc.

Does that calculate to the small and medium size businesses?
    Not really but they would save money too.
    Intranets Applications are where we all need to go.
    Desktop in decline. I see the desktop maybe for ftp downloads file transfers etc.. and that will make some areas that maybe needed to be easier but browsers are going to be the future!

Those on desktop only better come over to the Intranet side and Alpha has given you just that ability, so start in.

Liquid Forms! Oh baby.

Good Luck
    Nicholas Wieland

Leave a comment:

• Peter.Greulich
    replied

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
    The enormous amount of time invested in web based utilities in version 9 and the new codeless ajax for the web based version 10 gives me the feeling that the desktop is some what "under developed" and more or less dead.
    Hi Marcel,

I haven't opted "in" to your poll. I feel you posed the questions a little one-sided. There is an inherent bias embedded in the questions. You are suggesting an "either/or" scenario. Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's the way the questions are stated. I think a more objective way to state the questions would be something like this:
    • Would you prefer that Alpha focused most of their effort on desktop applications and functionality?
    • Would you prefer that Alpha focused most of their effort on web based applications and functionality?
    • Would you prefer that Alpha more or less evenly divided their effort between desktop applications/functionality and web based applications/functionality?
    I'm not criticizing you, just pointing out what I see as a polling flaw.

P.S. I would be curious to see Alpha's sales statistics. It may be that the majority of new sales are web based interests?
    Last edited by Peter.Greulich; 06-17-2009, 11:36 AM. Reason: P.S.

Leave a comment:

• NoeticCC
    replied

I am much more on the web based side than desktop but I do believe a good mix of well-interacting hybrid apps is the way to go, especially more interaction between desktop and web components of the same project.

Leave a comment:

• rleunis
    replied

I think the poll is too black and white...

Hybrid apps, at least for the near future, are a big selling point for Alpha.

For certain I would like to have the Alpha developer program as a PC program. I would never like to develop on a program in the cloud (like wavemaker). I can now develop on my laptop when I am in a plane (me in the clouds).

There will certainly stay a need for Desktop applications (f.i. heavy processor demanding apps), but for all the rest, I think web based apps are the future. No hazzle anymore with PC installations and roll out.

regards, Ron

Leave a comment:

Working...
X