Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Invoice Number Skipping 3 -4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoice Number Skipping 3 -4

Hi,

This is driving me nuts. I thought that I had fixed the Invoice Auto increment, (i.e. if 100, then next number should be 101, etc...), but obviously screwed it up again. Been looking at it for 3 hours, and for some reason, when I got into "Tool Issue", the invoice number increments between 3 and 4 times. So, if the last invoice number was 103, then it may assign 107 as the next Number to be issued.

The master login is - "rsw123" and the Tool issue login is "123456". Once you select the Tool Issue, you will see what I mean.

I've attached my last backup file...

Thanks,

Ryland gone Crazy

Re: Invoice Number Skipping 3 -4

Ryland

Too many gaps in your explanation to use your sample.... You've posted a desktop question in the web forum?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Ryland, Al is right. You need to mark a bright trail through all the log ins, and then all the buttons and fields that are necessary for us to see the problem... and you need to tell us how to get to the control panel if you've got it blocked. You should assume we know diddly about your app or what it is you're trying to accomplish. Take the time necessary to make it easy for us and you'll get a better answer faster.

Comment

Thanks Tom, will do..

Comment

Hi,

So that all can see the "Challenge" with the Invoice Numbering, here are the steps:

1 - unzip the TRACS.zip
          2 - From Alpha, select the TRACS, that will bring up a Menu
          3 - on the "SCAN CAC" enter "rsw123" as login and hit "Verify"
          4 - from the "TRACS" Menu Screen, select "Tool Issue"
          5 - scan id to verify is "123456", and select "Verify"
          6 - This will Bring up the "TRACS Tool Issue Screen" and:

The problem begins here. Sometimes is auto increments properly, and sometime not. I just did a 115 and 116 Invoice, no problem. When I just hit the "Issue Tools / Return to Main Menu", and re-enter from Step 4, then the Invoice number jumped to 120.

You can get to the control panel by exiting all the way back to the Main Menu, and hit the "exit TRACS" at the top left hand of the tool bar.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Ryland

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
            Ryland, Al is right. You need to mark a bright trail through all the log ins, and then all the buttons and fields that are necessary for us to see the problem... and you need to tell us how to get to the control panel if you've got it blocked. You should assume we know diddly about your app or what it is you're trying to accomplish. Take the time necessary to make it easy for us and you'll get a better answer faster.

Hi Tom. I just re-submitted. Let me know if it makes sense....Ryland

Comment

Any particular things we need to know or enter to begin and save an invoice once we get to the right form?

Later...

You stopped giving detailed instructions just when it got interesting. I tried entering a few records on the form you led us to and the auto-inc field seems to be working just fine. But then since you didn't give us keystroke by mouse click instructions it's likely I'm doing or not doing something you do without even thinking about it. More details please. Much more.

Still later...

A narrative description of the sequence you have designed will help, too. You have built a complicated series of scripts some of which can call themselves over and over. A narrative description of how they all fit together would be a big help. i.e.

The process begins here: ____________
              If __________, then _______________
              If __________, then form ______________ is opened and a new record is begun
              The process ends here when ______________
              etc
              etc

-- tom
              Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 06-19-2009, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Ryland,

1) as others have noted, this thread is in the wrong message board forum. Your app is for the desktop, not the web.

2) you should open the Invoice_Header table with Alpha's "default browse" to verify that invoice numbers are actually being skipped. I think you'll find that what's happening instead is that unwanted records are being entered, each of which receives a correct invoice number from the auto-inc field rule. If so, this means the field rule is working correctly but your data entry sequence is causing blank records to be saved to the table. The solution will be to carefully study the exact sequence you have developed to figure out what is triggering the unwanted records.

3) While studying your app I see several things that are troubling. I don't know if they contribute to or cause your immediate problem:

a) You should not set database properties to open your Main Menu form if you use an AutoExec script to open the Main Menu form on startup. You wind up with two instances of the Main Menu form being open. Not good.

b) Your "menu" forms are based on live tables. Main Menu is based on the Customer table; TRACS Management form is based on the Inventory Set. This is not good. Each time these forms open Alpha is opening another instance of all the tables supporting the forms. These tables contain live data. They should not be opened (or left open) when you are not doing data entry into them. Use dummy tables that don't contain any live data to support these types of forms.

c) I am puzzled by your OnInit, OnFetch, and OnEnter scripts in the "Invoice_Issue_New" form. The OnInit doesn't seem to be doing anything. The OnFetch event script seems to tell the form to navigate to a different record in some cases. This kind of thing can force Alpha to save any pending changes before moving the record pointer - and may be the source of your unwanted blank records.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom,

Sorry about the wrong forum. I will go ahead and mark the exact sequence as you recommend. Also, thanks for the advice on the menus's and the autoexec. Honestly, I do not know why I used the live tables.

I'll check out the the events as well. I have a feeling that they were left overs from an earlier "coding trial adventure".

Ryland

Comment

Tom,

I made the corrections (except the menus') as recommended. The autoexec.bat removal in the database properties took care of the duplicate menu.

Also, removing the unnecessary event codes took care of the invoice increment problem.

All is now working smoothly, and next I will redo the Menu's to use dummy files.

Thanks for all your help !!

Ryland

PS any way the moderator can move this to the proper forum ??

Comment

Hey, that's good news. I'm glad you got it going...

-- tom

Comment

Working...
                      X