Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

parent/child grid components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parent/child grid components

A relative newbie to A5, I have found a lot of great information on the message board � thank you to all, but I have not been able to find an answer to what is probably a dumb question, hence my first post.

This seems to be a straightforward situation on paper, but .....

The parent table (Batch Header) is related to the child table (Test Results) using a one to many relationship, joined on the Batch Header ID field, which is defined as an auto-increment field.

For the user to enter a new batch of test results, I have created a page with an �add records only� grid component to enter the Batch header data. (I know the parent page could use a dialog component, but I think I would still have the same dilemma.) Once the page is submitted, I want to redirect to a page with a grid-link component, parent grid to display the header data just submitted and the child �add records only� grid to allow the test results to be added to the child table.

As the Batch Header ID field is auto-increment, is there any way of capturing its value into a session/page variable, so that it is available in the child grid and written to the child records.

Am I missing something obvious or is this impossible?

Re: parent/child grid components

If you just use the standard grid linker in which you define a parent child relationship, any inserts in the parent onece selected wil automatically result in child records with the linking parent id in them.

Attached an application I wrote in V7 which uses tabbed gridlinkers in complex/repeated 1 to N relationsships:

An organization can have several locations. Each location can have several departments. Each department can have several persons working in them.

When I enter new records in any of the child records, the parent id's are automatically substitued. No dialogues or additional xbasic required for this.
    Last edited by rleunis; 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM. Reason: typo's

Comment

Thanks for your comments.

However I have no problem adding child records when the parent already exists - its when I want to add a new parent record and then the associated child records. The parent grid is set to 'add records only' so as soon as it is submitted, the data is gone and the child grid has nothing to link to.

The only way I can see to achieve this is to add the parent and then go to a different page to search for the parent just added, so I can add the children.

Surely there is a better way.

Comment

My setup works for some years now...

The parent grid has no restrictions like you: Only additions.

When I create a new parent grid, as soon as I have a view where I can select the newly created parent grid record, then child records are added to them.

You might have an issue where in the tabbed grid linker, the parent grid is not refreshed after the insert, thus giving you no view of the newly created records in the parent.

This can be solved by refreshing the page the parent grid is on ( i think it's something like response.redirect.)

Comment

Thanks Ron

Got it sorted - I think I was trying to make the solution more complicated than it actually was.

Comment

Working...
          X