Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

whenever size of the notepad changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whenever size of the notepad changes?

hi,
    is there any way to execute alpha five code whenever size of the notepad changes.

because i have to collect data from notepad and notepad contents changes very often in 1 hour(there is no fixed time,so when ever size of notepad changes i need to to some operation).

thanks

Re: whenever size of the notepad changes?

There is noting in Alpha alone that will do this. Two options are:

- Everytime your process runs, store the datetime of the notepad file. Next time someone logs in (the triggering event) include code to check the datetime of the notepad file against the stored value, and run your operation if needed. That uses a login as the trigger, probably not adequate for you.

- Use this product to schedule events to trigger instantly when the notepad file changes - http://www.watchdirectory.net/

- Use CRONTAB and CURL to run a procedure every X minutes, checking if the notepad file changed. You will find both of those utilities by searching the web.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

FILE.WATCH_CREATE()
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I tried the file.watch_create() function and it generated an error to send to Alpha tech support.

But if there is a problem with that function another possible way is to use the file.size() function. Have a variable set initially when first opening/logging on to equal the file.size()...then check it somehow with a timer if available--don't know what is available on the webside for this...could even be done when certain buttons are pressed, pages are brought up, whatever....then something along the lines of

Code:
        dim fsize as n
        fsize=file.size("C:\test.txt")

if fsize>vfile_size
          your code here to process
          vfile_size=fsize

end if
        Sure seems doable.

Al,
        do you have a working example I could see sometime?
        Mike

Comment

Al,
          I just got the file.watch_create() to work...talk about a misnomer---should be called folder.watch_create() !! Apparently it is only to be used on a folder basis and whatever files are contained within.
          Mike

Comment

folder.watch_create() !! :-) :)
            Yes you are right about that.
            After reading the help on file.watch_create()
            I was lucky enough that my brain reinterpreted it to be watch_4_files_created()
            -
            I use it on the basis of Creating a specific folder, and watching for new files to appear in 'said folder. At aprox 3000 files a day it has worked flawlessly

Comment

The first thing I said when I saw this file.watch_create() solution is phooey, it won't work on the web. But I was wrong! It does work!

To test I created an A5W page with the following code, and then simply ran the page in a browser once. I ran it on my server to make sure that my local copy of Alpha was not making it work. My server only has the web app server running.

batch = <<%txt%
              file.append_line("c:\testwatch1.txt",time())
              file.create("c:\testwatch2.txt",FILE_RW_EXCLUSIVE)
              %txt%
              file.watch_create("testwatch","c:\watch","F",batch)

I wanted to have two lines in my executed code (the 'batch' variable) to ensure it runs multiple lines of instructions.

The above sets the watch in the server memory and, if I create or destroy a file in the c:\watch folder, it absolutely executes the two lines of code.

Of course, you need to execute that first A5W that sets the watch somehow. And that has to be manually or as an 'autoexec' if the server reboots, or like said here earlier, triggered if someone logs in or something.

One potential problem I noticed is that you MUST include some check on the A5W page to see if the watch is already running, and if so NOT launch it again. If you take the above code as is and refresh the browser 10 times, then ten copies of the watch are in memory. And so when a file is created in c:\watch, those two lines of code fire ten times. I guess you would use FILE.WATCH_ENUMERATE() to see if your watch is in the list, and then not run it a subsequent time if it were.

This 'discovery' is good timing for me as I have two web apps the need scheduled operations. I will have to determine if this adds any overhead or causes other problems. The server must have to retain those lines of code in memory. If it works, it removes the need to use that fancy WatchDirectory I've made such a fuss about.

Another potential problem is that whatever you set is applied to the whole server, not a particular application or logged in user.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                Al,
                I just got the file.watch_create() to work...talk about a misnomer---should be called folder.watch_create() !! Apparently it is only to be used on a folder basis and whatever files are contained within.
                No it is watching files - perhaps within a folder.

I think in this case we want to see if user has saved something new, so we need to set the flag to:

Code:
                T  Date/time stamp on a file changed.
                I'm thinking that the user may have changed some data, saved the file, but the size of the file may not have changed, but the date/time stamp would.
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Al,
                  No it is watching files - perhaps within a folder.
                  Exactly what I wanted to point out...

More specifically, the only files that are looked at are within a specified folder....they cannot be looked at individually. That is, if there are multiple files within a folder that is being watched, if any of them change for whatever is being watched for, the code will run. A file that is located within the drive root and not within a folder cannot be checked by itself, any file that is changed on the root will trigger the code.
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                    Al,
                    Exactly what I wanted to point out...

More specifically, the only files that are looked at are within a specified folder....they cannot be looked at individually. That is, if there are multiple files within a folder that is being watched, if any of them change for whatever is being watched for, the code will run. A file that is located within the drive root and not within a folder cannot be checked by itself, any file that is changed on the root will trigger the code.
                    Good point.

Or you have to apply a filter within the code to determine if t he file should be processed.

I am interested if others run into the situation where they want to monitor a folder and it's subfolders. I'm working on a solution for that - it takes another program running to monitor windows functions to watch the folder(s).
                    Al Buchholz
                    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                    X