Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

My HUGE perfomance boost to ver 9, WAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My HUGE perfomance boost to ver 9, WAS

Recently MY ISP began migrating my VMWARE 2008 Server to some new SANS arrangement. This became a performance nightware, which has come close to me being arrested for abuse and aggresion on a Manager of an an international company for there incompetence. (Long ugly Story)
    Anyhow also in this time I began seeking ways to boost the performance.
    With the disk migration I discovered that alpha 5 was not truly closing tables after using something like tbl.close(). It appears that while the table was closed, and could how be reopened exclusively, infact there still lingered a thread and handle to the SANS drive. This in turn would clutter the CPU process, slowing the CPU and then in turn bloat the Memory. AS the memory needed to page, and the SANS was already busy, this just meant everything just got worse.
    This seems to be a peculiarity to The SANS disk arangemnt.
    I reinstalled my homeserver and altered the name-server, and discovered that everything worked reasonable except I have slow upload speed from home, Which is why I went to VMWARE.
    Now the unexplained revelation,
    My principal code is aproximately 130,000 lines of A5 broken into 8 AJAX.a5w files. I'd say the server is 95% busy with AJAX.
    -
    By altering the standard code I have written I have discovered there is only one way to close the tables safely and easily and it is through the use
    of the END statement
    -
    Code:
    if action = "Dostuff"
    Dim TBL as P
    TBL = table.open("testTable.dbf)

''' Do statements etc

[B]END[/B]
    end if
    it is that simple!

I have moved back to the VMWARE server and the speed, response, is incredibly better. I was going to upgrade to the Ver10 Server for speed, but it will no longer be necessary.

Re: My HUGE perfomance boost to ver 9, WAS

hi ColinJD,

How to deal the same in case of SQL server 2000.
    the steps i fallow to deal with sql server DB as fallows
    dim dbconn as sql::connection
    dim RsGetData as sql::Resultset

dbconn.open("::name::SQlconnectionName")
    dbconn.execute("select name from empmaster where code=12")
    RsGetData=dbconn.resultset

...... statements

dbconn.close()
    (eventhough i use dbconn.close() the connection exists with sql...)

Thanks

Comment

From my experience
      simply changing

dbconn.close()
      END

It would be nice to know though what was really causing the memory/performance problems.

Comment

Hi
        we developed ERP System and implemented in our company using alpha Five V9. now i am doing after implementation work.

I noticed system running very slow, i restarted sql server then checked the speed of ERP system it remains same. when i restarted Alpha Five server the speed of the system got boosted only for few hours.(memory usage of the Alpha five was keep on increasing very fast)

when i checked the SPID created by sql server was very vast(more then 3000 spid's) and then just for testing i created an a5w page with open database connection for executing on simple query and close at the end,
        when i executed this page the process id in sql server got created and even though i closed the entire browser the SPID in sql server retained, and it gets cleared only when
        i restarted Alpha Five server.

so is there way to close the connection(which clears SPID in sql server).

this is very urgent.

Thanks.

Comment

Colin,

I wish I was getting the results you describe.

I have been getting real problems with memory going up when a page is loaded and then not being released when the process is over. I made sure that every table is closed, every index is dropped, AND added END to the "end" of the script. Nope - does not release the memory. In one page, for example, there is a dialog with xbasic just in the Initialize event. Every time the user opens this page, the RAM goes up by about 2,000 bytes, and is not released upon exiting the page either. If users go to this page 50 times, the RAM thus will increase by approx 100,000 bytes! And that's just for that page!

This is a HUGE problem. Yesterday, alwaysup restarted 6 times because I have it set to restart whenever the CPU is hogged or if more than a certain amount of RAM is used for longer than a certain period of time. This caused many users a lot of frustration, as not only did tha app seem very slow, but they lost their work each time the server was restarted.

Is there a solution to this????????
          Gary S. Traub, Ph.D.

Comment

Gary,
            Can you Private Message me the code of the Initialize event,
            Also are you having any MPX.files created in you Database directory?

Comment

Hi folks,

Is there a resolution for this problem yet?

RB

Comment

I have many .MPX files in my directory. All are exactly 3KB. I've been periodically "cleaning" them out. I used to back them up first.

Are you stating that instead of tbl.close() we should use the word, "END?"
                Eric

Alpha Five Websites
                longlivepuppies.com
                socialservicenetwork.com
                -------------------------------------------------
                socialservicenetwork.org

Comment

Eric,
                  I would suggest using tbl.close() always.
                  Because thats what it is designed for.
                  However for some reason it obviously was not truly closing my tables, and END has done it (for me).
                  So I'm using both.!
                  I guess there is also a really good chance that I have been doing something else incorrectly, and END has just done a good clean up.
                  -
                  The MPX files have something to do with not dropping a query correctly,
                  I strongly suspect that this also gobbles up memory and resources.
                  Most of my MPX problems I have solved using query.drop(), But I still have some persisting.

Comment

I think the WAS is using native shared connection [pooling] for SQLServers.
                    That means there is no need to close the connection for each SQL State. It leeds to more overhead on the WAS and DB. The good balance is to take a look and the DB Manager MEM blocks SPINS read and write Cache memory indexes etc, allow as most as you memory to the database, even better put the database by heavy use on a seperate machine. For the WAS enable. Test the performance of the WAS Threads and max connections allowed per connection.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                    X