Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Help! how to link/upload to one record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! how to link/upload to one record

Hello all,
    I've read through many posts but cannot figure out how to upload a .pdf to one record and create the link in the table.

See photo below.

Re: Help! how to link/upload to one record

I have a similar need in my Event Manager application. I let presenters upload presentations and training aids for their event.

Screen1 attachment shows the form for uploading the material. The calculated link is just a calc form of the event id to tie the material to the event.

The upload page is pretty standard stuff to what's shown in the help:
    Code:

<%a5
    '==== session variable for a selected attachment
    if eval_valid("session.SelectedFile")=.f.
     dim session.SelectedFile as C = "None"
    end if
    '==== setup for an upload
    Dim session.Message as C = default "Upload Presentation Materials for this Event"
    if eval_valid("cmd")
        file.from_blob("Uploads/"+session.ev.id+"."+FileToUpload.filename, FileToUpload.data)
     if file.size("Uploads/"+session.ev.id+"."+FileToUpload.filename)=0
      session.Message = "Please use the Browse button to navigate to the file before uploading."
     else
         session.Message = "<a href=\"/" + FileToUpload.filename + "\" target=\"_blank\">" + FileToUpload.filename + "</a> was uploaded."
     end if
    end if
    %>
    As you can see, I save the material with a prefix of the event id so I can tie it to the event.

The code in the body is:
    Code:

<body>
    <p class="closer"><a href="javascript:window.close();">Close Window</a></p>
     <p><%a5 ?session.Message %></p>
     <p><form action="<%a5 ?request.script_name %>" method ="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
     <input type="file" name="FileToUpload">&nbsp;<input type="submit" name="cmd" value="Upload File"></form></p>
    <table>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td valign="top" align="left" width="688">
     <table>
      <tr><td><%A5 ?x_Ev_Attach.Output.Body.Xbasic_Code_Errors %></td></tr>
      <tr><td><%A5 ?x_Ev_Attach.Output.Body.Dialog_HTML %></td></tr>
     </table>
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>&nbsp;</td>
    <%a5 if eval_valid("session.SelectedFile") %>
    <td><br>
     <p>The selected item is <%a5 ?session.SelectedFile %></p>
     <p><a href="<%a5 ?session.SelectedFile %>" target="_blank">&nbsp;Open / download the selected item</a></p>
     <p><a href="Upload_Delete.a5w">&nbsp;Delete the selected item</a></p>
    </td>
    <%a5 end if %>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </body>
    The upload page looks like screen2 attachment. Since I might have multiple materials, I added a component to display the list and allow one to be selected as in screen3. (one of these days I gotta pretty that up!)

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Verrry cool! Thanks much for responding - I was losing my mind. I will give this a try as soon as I get back to the office!

Originally posted by Pat Bremkamp View Post
      I have a similar need in my Event Manager application. I let presenters upload presentations and training aids for their event.

Screen1 attachment shows the form for uploading the material. The calculated link is just a calc form of the event id to tie the material to the event.

The upload page is pretty standard stuff to what's shown in the help:
      Code:

<%a5
      '==== session variable for a selected attachment
      if eval_valid("session.SelectedFile")=.f.
       dim session.SelectedFile as C = "None"
      end if
      '==== setup for an upload
      Dim session.Message as C = default "Upload Presentation Materials for this Event"
      if eval_valid("cmd")
          file.from_blob("Uploads/"+session.ev.id+"."+FileToUpload.filename, FileToUpload.data)
       if file.size("Uploads/"+session.ev.id+"."+FileToUpload.filename)=0
        session.Message = "Please use the Browse button to navigate to the file before uploading."
       else
           session.Message = "<a href=\"/" + FileToUpload.filename + "\" target=\"_blank\">" + FileToUpload.filename + "</a> was uploaded."
       end if
      end if
      %>
      As you can see, I save the material with a prefix of the event id so I can tie it to the event.

The code in the body is:
      Code:

<body>
      <p class="closer"><a href="javascript:window.close();">Close Window</a></p>
       <p><%a5 ?session.Message %></p>
       <p><form action="<%a5 ?request.script_name %>" method ="post" enctype="multipart/form-data">
       <input type="file" name="FileToUpload">&nbsp;<input type="submit" name="cmd" value="Upload File"></form></p>
      <table>
      <tr><td>&nbsp;</td>
      <td valign="top" align="left" width="688">
       <table>
        <tr><td><%A5 ?x_Ev_Attach.Output.Body.Xbasic_Code_Errors %></td></tr>
        <tr><td><%A5 ?x_Ev_Attach.Output.Body.Dialog_HTML %></td></tr>
       </table>
      </td></tr>
      <tr><td>&nbsp;</td>
      <%a5 if eval_valid("session.SelectedFile") %>
      <td><br>
       <p>The selected item is <%a5 ?session.SelectedFile %></p>
       <p><a href="<%a5 ?session.SelectedFile %>" target="_blank">&nbsp;Open / download the selected item</a></p>
       <p><a href="Upload_Delete.a5w">&nbsp;Delete the selected item</a></p>
      </td>
      <%a5 end if %>
      </tr>
      </table>
      </body>
      The upload page looks like screen2 attachment. Since I might have multiple materials, I added a component to display the list and allow one to be selected as in screen3. (one of these days I gotta pretty that up!)

Pat

Comment

OK,
        Just to make sure I get this correct.

I use the first code clip to create a .a5w page in the web projects control panel.

Then,using the grid list in the .a54cmp enter your link. But where does the second second set of code go?

Comment

Both code snippits go in the same page. The first code snippit goes in the head section of the page (between the <head> and </head> tags, and the second is in the body section between the <body> and </body> tags.

Of course, you won't be able to use it "as is". First, you'll have to understand the concept, then modify it for your use.

Pat
          Pat Bremkamp
          MindKicks Consulting

Comment

OK - much thanks to Pat I am getting this working!

The file is uploading to the root directory of the server - Yea!

But, my code to add the Quote_Number to the beginning of the file name is messed up:

Code:
            <title></title>
            </head>
            <body>
            <%a5
            dim msg as c = ""
            if eval_valid("cmd")
            file.from_blob(ServerSetting.Document_Root + "\\" + "+Quote_Number+" + FileToUpload.filename, FileToUpload.data)
            msg = "<a href=\"/" + FileToUpload.filename + "\" target=\"_blank\">" + FileToUpload.filename + "</a> was uploaded<br /><br />"
            end if
            %>
            <head>
            <title>File Upload</title>
            </head>
            <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
            <%a5 ? msg %>
            <form action=" <%a5 ? request.script_name %> " method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data">
            <input type="file" name="FileToUpload" value=""><br />
            <input type="submit" name="cmd" value="Upload File">
            </form>
            </body>
            </html>
            <p>&nbsp;</p>
            </body></html>
            <p>&nbsp;</p>

Comment

Couple things...
              If Quote_Number is numeric, you'll need to make it character using the str() function.

You may also want to put a period in front of the file name. That will make it easier to find the right image later, so:
              ServerSetting.Document_Root + "\\" +Quote_Number+"."+FileToUpload....

Pat
              Pat Bremkamp
              MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not passing the variable for Quote_Number correctly. Quote_number is set as a Character field in the database.

I set a link to pass the variable Quote-number and made sure the .a5w text says Quote_number???

Code:
                <html>

<%a5

dim msg as c = ""

if eval_valid("cmd")

file.from_blob(ServerSetting.Document_Root + "\\" +Quote_number+"."+FileToUpload.filename, FileToUpload.data)

msg = "<a href=\"/" + FileToUpload.filename + "\" target=\"_blank\">" + FileToUpload.filename + "</a> was uploaded<br /><br />"

end if

%>

<head>

<title>File Upload example</title>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff">

<%a5 ? msg %>

<form action=" <%a5 ? request.script_name %> " method="POST" enctype="multipart/form-data">

<input type="file" name="FileToUpload" value=""><br />

<input type="submit" name="cmd" value="Upload File">

</form>

</body>

</html>

Comment

Aha!

My mistake was to presume the Quote_Number as a session variable could be passed from the screen before being saved to the database! After the record has been saved, the process works just fine.

So,
                  now I need to see if I can invoke a submit on the record, and have the file upload occur if a check box is filled in.

Seems like this process is tough for first time users. Perhaps I should write up a howto of sorts when I get it figured out.

Comment

Seems like this process is tough for first time users. Perhaps I should write up a howto of sorts when I get it figured out.
                    That would be a great contribution!!
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuthinking View Post
                      Aha!

My mistake was to presume the Quote_Number as a session variable could be passed from the screen before being saved to the database! After the record has been saved, the process works just fine.

So,
                      now I need to see if I can invoke a submit on the record, and have the file upload occur if a check box is filled in.

I would like to this very much. I am a new Alpha5 user have some challenges with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X