Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Problem with results from query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with results from query

I'm not entirely sure I can explain this where it makes sense, so I definitely did not know how to search for it, so forgive me if its answered elsewhere and just point me to it.

My db is a listing of people buried in various cemeteries around Ohio. Everything seemed to be working great with how I'd set it all up, until today when I noticed a problem.

Example:
    in the database I have a listing for:
    Rarey, William H born 1920
    Rarey, William H born 1812

the name field is as I typed it, it includes the whole name. When I am on the website itself and use the query to bring up records for "Rarey" it shows separate entries for each William. I have the field set as a link to bring up the info entered on each person. When I have people that have the same name, it brings up the same record no matter which one I click on.

I dont know how to make it recognize these are two different records, they just happen to have the same name.

Can someone advise?

Re: Problem with results from query

Originally posted by shanifaye View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I can explain this where it makes sense, so I definitely did not know how to search for it, so forgive me if its answered elsewhere and just point me to it.

My db is a listing of people buried in various cemeteries around Ohio. Everything seemed to be working great with how I'd set it all up, until today when I noticed a problem.

Example:
    in the database I have a listing for:
    Rarey, William H born 1920
    Rarey, William H born 1812

the name field is as I typed it, it includes the whole name. When I am on the website itself and use the query to bring up records for "Rarey" it shows separate entries for each William. I have the field set as a link to bring up the info entered on each person. When I have people that have the same name, it brings up the same record no matter which one I click on.

I dont know how to make it recognize these are two different records, they just happen to have the same name.

Can someone advise?
    You should have another field to use as the link field. Link fields need to have unique values or you get the problem that you are seeing..

Common ways of doing this is to use an autoincrement field or a 32 character field that gets a value from remspecial(api_uuidcreate()).

Assign that value in the parent record and the children will get that value when they are added via a set.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Al, I appreciate the reply, but to be honest I dont understand what you are saying.

Would it help to see the webpage to understand so maybe you could word it in more simple terms? Im still trying to grasp all the terminology used around here.

I dont understand how I could use any field as a link and not run into the same problem

Comment

Al, I appreciate the reply, but to be honest I dont understand what you are saying.

Would it help to see the webpage to understand so maybe you could word it in more simple terms? Im still trying to grasp all the terminology used around here.

I dont understand how I could use any field as a link and not run into the same problem
        You may need to add another field to your tables and have the value be different for each person - even when their names are the same. This field will be invisible to the normal viewing of the data, but will keep the data organized as you need it.
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Ok, so the fact that there is already another field with different data (ie the birth year)isnt the same thing?

Comment

I think I understand what you're saying now, but am not clear on how to set the value for the autoincrement field

Comment

I think I understand what you're saying now, but am not clear on how to set the value for the autoincrement field
              That an be an issue...

Some how you'll need to deal with existing data. On the parent table, you can make a field and assign sequential values to it with an update operation. Then change the field type in the field rules to autoincrement.

Then add the field to the child table and assign values to it. Without knowing much about your data, it's difficult to tell you how to accomplish that. Usually it use an existing linkage and invert it. Then I can use an update operation on that set.

If you have alot of data, you'll need to figure out a way to deal with the duplicates.. - perhaps manually change them.

If you are entering data, it will take care of itself as the data is typed in.

How much data do you already have in the tables? And how can you manipulate that data? Or is there another source of this data and you can work with that?
              Al Buchholz
              Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Im making progress I think..

I added a field, followed directions from another thread http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...auto+increment on getting that field populated for the existing data then set it to auto increment for new data.

Then I added that field to my web components page, made it a static text field saying View Record, and made it the link...now it is bringing up the correct record.

I think I covered all the bases?

Comment

Im making progress I think..

I added a field, followed directions from another thread http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...auto+increment on getting that field populated for the existing data then set it to auto increment for new data.

Then I added that field to my web components page, made it a static text field saying View Record, and made it the link...now it is bringing up the correct record.

I think I covered all the bases?
                  If there is only one table involved it's a lot easier than more than 1.

Works is works... always happy to hear when it works..
                  Al Buchholz
                  Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X