Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

thumbnail in grid changes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thumbnail in grid changes...

Hello
    http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm
    This is a small online database for a local car dealership.
    You can click on the stock number to see details and a larger picture of the vehicle. At first glance, everything looks ok, but after clicking on the detail link, the thumnail for the first vehicle changes to whatever vehicle you were looking at.
    Got any ideas?

What other info do you need? Everthing is v8.

Thanks
    Rusty
    Rusty Auxier, Owner
    Manitoulin Island Computers
    32 Anglin St., Box 168
    Mindemoya, Ontario
    P0P 1S0
    705-377-7363
    www.micomp.ca

Re: thumbnail in grid changes...

Rusty,

I've worked on a similar site, www.ineedwheels.com, and the key, I think, is how you identify the picture and the thumbnail. The text doesn't change but the thumbnail does. I looked at the source for the page, but can't see how you are doing it. Maybe if you can provide a little detail.

Pat
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Hi Pat
      this has been a real nightmare for me.
      I did the initial database way over a year agao. I have been using alpha for many years but in a very limited capacity... I was, however able to make this work using an image reference instead of embedding the picture in the database. Worked GREAT for a year. Updated it every so often etc. no problems. Then one day, out of the blue, it started repeating records found on the first page on the second page (I have 18 records in database; it's set to display 10 per page. When you click on next or last, it would repeat records from the 1st page to make 18) Very strange. In the process of trying to fix it, I changed the field for the picture to a jpeg image type instead of image file reference. THEN I was unable to get it to display the pictures at all; not locally in the app or after it was published across my lan. FINALLY, I am not exactly sure how I did it, I WAS able to get it display the pics on the WAS server, but when you clicked on the link to see the detail view it was changing the thumbnail image of the first record in the grid on me like you saw.
      Well, I went and tried to fix it again and ended up buggering it up again by changing the filed back to an image reference. I can get it to work smooth as silk locally, but when I publish it across the lan I get the dreaded Linked image not found: \images\2414A.jpg. If you browse to
      http://67.58.217.235/images/2414A.jpg you can clearly see it IS there. You can even leave off the /images/ in the url and see it's THERE too.

Can someone please tell me... where does it get that path (\images\2414A.jpg) from? and how do I change it or put the frickin images there!? I have been working on this literally for WEEKS and it's driving me crazy.
      I realize the difference between the / and the \.

So now, if you go back to my vehilce page, http://www.manitoulinchrysler.ca/newveh.htm you will see I have totally botched it again.

At the risk of begging, someone PLEASE HELP ME GASP

Thanks

Rusty
      Rusty Auxier, Owner
      32 Anglin St., Box 168
      Mindemoya, Ontario
      P0P 1S0
      705-377-7363
      www.micomp.ca

Comment

By the way, being the neophyte that I am, I simply follow instructions to do the web app... I get the database working first, then start the webserver, create a grid component, then an a5w page, save it as index.a5w, insert my component, set my alias (\\mic-was\a5webroot\ which is the name of my was server and the path on it) and publish it. Like I said, it worked for about a year and to my knowledge I did nothing to break it.

Thanks again!
        Rusty Auxier, Owner
        32 Anglin St., Box 168
        Mindemoya, Ontario
        P0P 1S0
        705-377-7363
        www.micomp.ca

Comment

Holy man what a trip this is... I decided to publish it to the local webroot and see what happens... it seems to work; it displays the pictures BUT it does that damn thing with the thumbnail on the first record in the grid... it REPLACES it with whatever vehicle you view the details on... the thumbnail is the only thing that changes!

Looks like I may still have that issue even if i resolve this path issue!

Thanks again
          Rusty Auxier, Owner
          32 Anglin St., Box 168
          Mindemoya, Ontario
          P0P 1S0
          705-377-7363
          www.micomp.ca

Comment

OK I think I see where it gets the path from; I changed the image file name (right clicked on the image, change image file name and changed the path to the root or the folder with the rest of the database files are) after I copied the images there. I only did it on the first 2 records and you can see the change in the error message.
            I still am unable to resolve the issue tho.
            Rusty Auxier, Owner
            32 Anglin St., Box 168
            Mindemoya, Ontario
            P0P 1S0
            705-377-7363
            www.micomp.ca

Comment

Ok well now I am back to totally broken... this is what I get now.

Error 3 - Error loading [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\inventory.dbf: The system cannot find the path specified. \[PathAlias.ADB_Path]\inventory.dbf

I am THIS CLOSE to hiring someone to do this for me...or at least show me how to do it!
              I see Alpha Software has a 'mentor' program or something like that.
              I really could use it. I am on my way out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Tuesday, but I am thinking seriously about hiring someone.

Thanks

Rusty
              Rusty Auxier, Owner
              32 Anglin St., Box 168
              Mindemoya, Ontario
              P0P 1S0
              705-377-7363
              www.micomp.ca

Comment

Rusty,

I can see your frustration and I have no solution since I have not gone as far as you so far with this kind of app.

There is one suggestion pertaining to naming for this as I was taught and got chided when I did not do it. The pics should be uniform in size, use the stock number for the main pic and add a _1, _2 etc for each additional picture. I promise your customer will eventually want up to 15 - 16 pictures of each vehicle on there.

Hope this helps.

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I am THIS CLOSE to hiring someone to do this for me...
                  Just a plug for all of the consultants on the board - this does not need to be a method of last resort. I have been hired by some dozens of user/other developers to get them past some stopping point. It's totally worth it (based on their comments). We (consultants) generally know Alpha front to back, and that's what lets us resolve problems.

Like for your latest problem, since the error includes the string [PathAlias.ADB_Path] it means that Alias is not getting replaced with its value at publishing time. Alpha recently modified their default to resolve the Alias at Runtime, not Publish time (which was a mistake, to default it that way at least). To resolve your problem, go to Edit > Settings > Web Publishing > Alias Resolution and toggle it to Publish Time. Then republish. Either that or you did not publish at all, just copied files to the server.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Rusty,

Steve would be the one who I would approach on a web app if it was beating me to death.

That said, there is a web app example that comes with alpha on a flower site. There are a bunch of different pictures of the flowers included and the app does like you want yours to. I have not parsed it all out(not even started), but maybe it holds the key to what you want to do? May be worth looking at. At least the flower stays where it is supposed to and does not take the place in a different record. It seems with a little change here and there, it may be a great place for your app.

I found this in V9 and am not sure if it is included in V8 or not. I unloaded V8.

edit: It is included in V8

The attachement may help you. It is a zipped up Jing file. All it shows is a bit of how to handle those pictures. It would be better to install the sample file and see for your self. I think.

Last edited by DaveM; 08-10-2008, 12:12 PM.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks for all of the info guys... I have been out of town for the last 6 days...still gone at the moment too but was able to remotely work on this a bit.
                      Steve, I just meant I want to do this myself... I thought that's what Alpha was all about. I am trying to MAKE a buck or two from it myself and all I am damn doing is SPENDING... Upgrades everytime I turn around on first v7 and a runtime license then a WAS... Then V8 and another WAS upgrade.. now that I have upgraded to V9 I am going to have to fork out AGAIN eventually on ANOTHER WAS upgrade too... NOW it looks like I am agoing to have to HIRE someone to FIX something I initially did by myself.

I guess I require some assistance here tho. Right now, what it's doing is all I can get. Linked image not found again. Taking your advice I was able to resolve the alias problem, then ended up witha security settings issue that you resolved for someone else; it was resolved by deleting the gui.security.settings file and re-publishing.

I am going to be home Late Monday afternoon and can look at it again when I'm working on it locally.

Thanks to you too Dave for your suggestions!

Rusty
                      Rusty Auxier, Owner
                      32 Anglin St., Box 168
                      Mindemoya, Ontario
                      P0P 1S0
                      705-377-7363
                      www.micomp.ca

Comment

Rusty,

One of your problems is using the same picture for both the enlarged and the thumbnail version, so when you select the detail view, that causes the change.

You can try one of two things: You could make two copies of each picture, not just one. So, for example, one would be 1234A and one would be T1234A. Then use the T version for the thumbnail and the non-T for the enlarged version.

A second idea is to link to a separate page instead of the detail view to show the vehicle details.

Pat
                        Pat Bremkamp
                        MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Hi Pat
                          Thank You so much for your continuing suggestions!!
                          I have followed it, and it works PERFECTLY locally! I was seeing the changing thumbnail image locally as well as after it was published; I no longer have the issue locally! I made a thumbnail sized copy of the image, made a new field to hold it, added it to the grid and voila, works great locally!
                          Sadly as you can see, i STILL the dreaded 'linked image not found' error.
                          So now "all" I need to do is resolve that and I am home free!
                          Can you or anyone else offer any suggestions as to what's up with that?
                          I do have an alias issue as well. While trying to resolve this, (in version 8) I added an alias from within the web application (define path and connection string aliases I believe) and now I am unable to delete it. Version 9 looks different in that respect. (alias attachment)
                          An alias for images per say was not defined before in earlier versions... I KNOW I had this working in v8 with no alias for images anyway. I added that trying to fix the problem; now I get an error that tells me "alias images not defined in profile; please specify a value for this alias now" (see alias_error attachment)

Thanks!

Rusty
                          Rusty Auxier, Owner
                          32 Anglin St., Box 168
                          Mindemoya, Ontario
                          P0P 1S0
                          705-377-7363
                          www.micomp.ca

Comment

Rusty,

I believe it is expecting [PathAlias.Images] rather than just [Images]

Pat
                            Pat Bremkamp
                            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I changed my alias to read [PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5webroot\
                              [PathAlias.Images] = c:\a5webroot\ (following the example created by the wizard that launches in version 9 that quizzes you about where the files are)
                              I have also tried \\MIC-WAS\A5Webroot\ on both and I get the exact same error message...linked image not found... man...
                              I did a quick new project in another folder on my WAS and I got the exact same message too.
                              Any chance I need to remove and re-install the software on my WAS box?
                              I am running another database or two in sub folders and they work great...but they don't have images in them! Well, I lied... all of them but one are having the 401 Unauthorized
                              The security settings for this server are missing or incomplete. issues and I don't the database files themselves loaded on any of my machines any more...
                              The one that is still running has a log in component and after I log in I am able to access and search the records no problem. There are 784 records in that database. So I am REASONABLY sure there is nothing wrong with the server but man this is really frustrating...

Thanks!
                              Rusty Auxier, Owner
                              32 Anglin St., Box 168
                              Mindemoya, Ontario
                              P0P 1S0
                              705-377-7363
                              www.micomp.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X