Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

scheduled e-mail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scheduled e-mail

Creating a dialog, allowing users to enter an incident and the amount of days they want a reminder via e-mail. I don't quite understand how to create this

I've read that you need this:
    - Table
    - input form
    - Script running on timer
    - Notification form or dialog
    - Response form or dialog

But need a little more info or an example to follow would be great.

Re: scheduled e-mail

I hope someone else comments because I am not really up on the SCRIPT_SCHEDULE() function that can be used to do this. Look that up in the help for some examples.

But what I have done is a little different. I have a form over a dummy table. In the Properties under Form tab, I have set a Timer Interval of 3600 seconds. On the same form I have a On_Timer event with an Action Script with Run a Script as the only action. The action is set to run a code script named import_tracking. On the same form I have a button that does the same thing, in case I want to run it manually.

So, provided the form is open, every 3600 seconds the import_tracking script launches and does its import routine. Only thing is you need to use a spare runtime workstation to do this. If you only have one user version, its a pain because every 3600 seconds you get interrupted.

If you used this method, I assume you want different schedules for different actions; each set by the user from the Web. No problem, when you write a record to the "reminders" table, include date and time fields that record their preference. Run the action every hour or so and only send reminders to those whose date and time has passed. Along with the reminder, purge or flag the record so it does not get sent again. I think that method is easier than trying to use SCRIPT_SCHEDULE() to set each reminder individually.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Can you post an example? It would really help.

Comment

Originally posted by rching View Post
        Steve,

Thanks for the info. Can you post an example? It would really help.
        Here you go. This goes in the Source Tab of an A5W page.

<html>
        <head>
        <script>
        <!--
        function reFresh() {
        location.reload(true)
        }
        window.setInterval("reFresh()",600000);
        -->
        </script>

FYI that number 1000 = 1 sec 60,000 = 1 min 600,000 for 10 mins

Add your Xbasic code in the Source of the A5w page and you're good to go!

/waves to Alpha Devs....how about rewarding my helpfulness by answering my little question about grid summary variables.... :D

Comment

Royce,

I knew I was in trouble when I wrote "No Problem". The part I am working on is the content of the email. Easy if it is just ONE email message, but the module I envision would set up sending a variety of emails, for different purposes.

The hard part is the content of the email itself. That is, if you move the instructions to a table, where the table is supposed to contain all of the details about who to send emails to, you have to also include some means for the table to either contain the email body, or reference the body somewhere else. I prefer the later and would rather build a module that is flexible, where the table contains a field that controls which email body goes with which email message type.

For example, the table should have a field named EmailBody (e.g.) and this could either 1) point to a text file that provides the body of the email, or 2) could contain a value such as "MyMaketingEmail1" that was used in an A5W page SELECT-CASE statement to determine what the email body would be. This is more promising because you can include xbasic in the code. But the downside is that the body is hard coded, rather than in a place where users can easily modify.

Sorry to be so exhaustive, you can see I am thinking it through!
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Clint - I looked at how to grab summary values several months back and could find no way directly from the grid. If you look at the xbasic or html in the grid, the only thing it says about summary variables is "Yes - include the summary value". It does not have any forumla, something you could copy-paste to Calculated Fields, etc. Somewhere behind the scenes it is processing TOTAL() or COUNT(), but no where that I can find where it is accessible.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
              Clint - I looked at how to grab summary values several months back and could find no way directly from the grid. If you look at the xbasic or html in the grid, the only thing it says about summary variables is "Yes - include the summary value". It does not have any forumla, something you could copy-paste to Calculated Fields, etc. Somewhere behind the scenes it is processing TOTAL() or COUNT(), but no where that I can find where it is accessible.

Thanks for responding Steve.

I maintain my vigil in the hopes that I/we get an answer to this question, it's just too wonderful a question not to get answered...

/waves to Lenny Forziati and Jerry Brightbill (don't forget about the little guys, we are the turf upon which you stride toward greatness, those cleats hurt though)

Comment

Working...
              X