Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How about a release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about a release?

I am looking like crazy for 2 functions in the documentation

a function for knowing the webroot path ("d:\webroot")
    and a function for displaying the server settings

and my question now is do they even exist. I Dont know
    the point here is that the documentation isnt that bad when you find it, but that last part is the problem "finding it" so maybe the wiki will have a better search engiene than alphas built in documentation.

by the way ill be gratefull if someone tells me either one of this functions :D.

Wow page 4 (is this a new record?)
    Cheers
    Mauricio

Comment

The first is Request.ApplicationRoot on this page with the rest of the request goodies: http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...t_Variable.htm.

The second is on this page: http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...m_Variable.htm

Harder to find because it is indexed under "ServerSetting" in the index.

Look also at A5W_INFO() which is a function that returns all of the server settings on one page.

You just need to know where to look!
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

My apologies for 'hijacking' the thread with my plea for good documentation in V10:o

Thank you, so far ... This is my first foray on to the Alpha message board and it is clear there is a wealth of knowledge here and lots of people who are passionate about Alpha. There seems to be general agreement that 'the documentation' needs updating in one form or another and many good suggestions made by people who clearly care.

I see three basic needs emerging:

1 A general collation of all Alpha knowledge into a single searchable place. Alpha have already addressed this for V10 with the new Wiki plan. I look forward to seeing it.

2 For experienced developers and new users getting beyond the most basic learning phase, the core help file data has slightly gone to seed. It apparently needs a good spring clean and re-indexing. As I see it only Alpha can do this? Perhaps if v10 is a success they will have the resource to take this on? (Steve - I have just finished sorting out my late father-in-law's workshops with over 40 years worth of vintage car clutter and tools, a job I had put off for three years Finally I just bought a whole load of new shelves, pulled it all out, and then spent a week or two collating, binning and putting it back one garage bay at a time. VERY satisfying)

3 For both complete beginners and people coming from other development tools, there is a real need for a new Alpha Five v10 for dummies book. Which I see that Richard has quickly asked for someone (on here?) to take on. This was the first thing I looked to buy when considering Alpha, and it nearly put me off when it didn't exist.

I guess these will be too late for me so I'll just plug on, put some hours in and see how far my old brain can take me. I know now there is this excellent forum for when I get into a pickle and I don't quit easily!

Alpha is clearly a very powerful and feature rich product. Lots of people will no doubt be buying copies because it now promises the ability to easily build powerful web apps - a hot topic and something Alpha appears to be at the market forefront of. I just think that to help 'retain' these new people and grow the Alpha developer base, a really good 'dummy' book to supplement the training videos, and, accurate relevant help files are equally as important as good Genies and accessable features.

Back on topic - is v10 looking close now?
        Last edited by Kevin30-98; 09-14-2009, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Kevin, welcome.

FYI all - I am trying to get a consolidated list of questions for at least one type of document, the "Top Ten How To". Please see this post and comment if you want:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=81621

Also, many people new and seasoned have taken advantage of my free Friday webinar on anything Alpha related. I've had these roundtable technical discussions for about two years new on most Fridays.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

I really haven't tried building a database using Alpha 5 but I would like to ring in on what has been said through out this thread:

I have picked up several points:
            1. How a novice can get started using Steve Workings Courses
            2. That it is really hard to find information in the help file
            Example: I am looking like crazy for 2 functions in the documentation

a function for knowing the webroot path ("d:\webroot")
            and a function for displaying the server settings

and my question now is do they even exist. I Dont know
            the point here is that the documentation isnt that bad when you find it, but that last part is the problem "finding it" so maybe the wiki will have a better search engine than alphas built in documentation.

Steve Wood's knew where to look but I tried to do it searching the key words request variable in the PDF version and you go through several examples before reaching Steve Wood's result.

What I would like to see is the help file better organized along the lines of the top level bookmarks such as References in a stand alone file this way it is easier to add a bookmark or favorite like Steve pointed out previously. This is analogist to when people folded the corner in a book.Also a smaller file save alot faster even with a Quad processor computer. This may also help in the future for the information found under each top level topic to update that topic you have to crawl before you can walk. It is really great that the details are their now they need to be messaged.

Steve's idea of Top Ten questions is great again you have to start somewhere. Maybe down the road it can lead to a cookbook or series of cookbooks on a variety of topics like a Church, sports team or firehouse does. to help people with the subject matter using real world examples. Like Web cookbook how to create and e-mail report or Desktop cookbook how to create bar codes. I realize I may be simplifying but I just want to give an example.

In looking at the message board I realize there is already a database design forum and a Code Archive Forum. I will be sure to look at these as a resource.

I hope my thoughts help.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
              The first is Request.ApplicationRoot on this page with the rest of the request goodies: [url]http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelpv9/Objects
              Thanks Steve but those variables only work on the A5 WAS and I need to know the webroot path from the desktop side.

Sorry for getting out of the main topic
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
                Thanks Steve but those variables only work on the A5 WAS and I need to know the webroot path from the desktop side.

Sorry for getting out of the main topic
                You are looking for httpd_settings_get()

Code:
                dim ServerSetting as p
                ServerSetting = httpd_settings_get()
                ?ServerSetting.Document_Root
                = "C:\A5Webroot"
                ?ServerSetting.Server_Port
                = 80
                'etc.
                Also Request.ApplicationRoot is not correct - the application root is not the same as the web root. For example, if you are running a LivePreview and your webroot is C:\A5Webroot, Request.ApplicationRoot would be C:\A5Webroot\LivePreview. It is determined by the location of the a5_application.a5i file for the page that is running.

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Ok here it goes.........:D I wrote a blog about choosing Alpha over other solutions click hereThe forum was part of that decision and as clear as my decision was regarding product and people it saw a very large help file. It was not until we started to use Alpha that the help files became an issue.

Knowing that an issue was discussed on the forum and the ability to "ASK" a question. Got your the answer sometimes.......from the forum was a positive. There are many good assumptions and suggestions herein about going forward with the help.

Richard here are a summary of the points to address with the new help:
                  • Help is old
                  • Start new help for v9-v10
                  • New Xdialog help
                  • Remove alpha sports references
                  • Break out xbasic
                  • Have function only help Examples are good and more of them the better
                  • New Ajax help
                  • New java help
                  • Better Help Software for better indexing
                  • Others as they come up

I am sure others maybe able to add to this list.
                  Wiki is not a good idea WHY?
                  Because if some adds to it and the answer is wrong then what have you accomplished....no trust and then you shot yourself in the foot.

MY NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT ABOUT ALPHA is the help files.
                  Hope this adds the correct spin on this.
                  Nicholas Wieland
                  LedgerSuite.com Corp
                  [email protected]
                  http://www.ledgersuite.com

Comment

"The Wiki is real and will be made public with the release of v10

The plan is to have v10 information incorporated in the wiki

The other benefit of the Wiki is that it is a centralized easy to search mechanism for quality content /videos/ white papers /tutorials to be hosted.

The way this will work is that if any member of the Alpha Community wants to post content to the Wiki - they can, after it has gone through an edit/approval step.

On the WIKI I read it as possibly someone at Alpha is going to verifiy the content before it is added.

Comment

Thank you Lenny and Steve now I got exactly what I wanted.
                      Cheers
                      Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by Mendy View Post
                        "The Wiki is real and will be made public with the release of v10

The plan is to have v10 information incorporated in the wiki

The other benefit of the Wiki is that it is a centralized easy to search mechanism for quality content /videos/ white papers /tutorials to be hosted.

The way this will work is that if any member of the Alpha Community wants to post content to the Wiki - they can, after it has gone through an edit/approval step.

On the WIKI I read it as possibly someone at Alpha is going to verifiy the content before it is added.
                        YES before user generated content is added to the wiki - it will be checked
                        Richard Rabins
                        Co Chairman
                        Alpha Software

Comment

Now that V10 has been released to the beta testers, where do we stand on the Wiki?
                          Brad Weaver, President
                          ComputerAid International
                          Ottawa ON Canada
                          Versailles KY USA
                          www.compuaid.com

Comment

Their best help file was maybe 9-10 years ago, and written in MS Word - you could search for anything you wanted and it would find all references - of course it was also much smaller back then
                            Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                            972 524 8714
                            [email protected]

Comment

WHAT�S NEW IN VERSION 10 http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...0/NewInV10.htm

WHAT�S NEW IN VERSION 9 http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...V9/NewInV9.htm

WHAT�S NEW IN VERSION 8 http://support.alphasoftware.com/Wha...atsNewInV8.htm

ALPHA FIVE WIKI http://www.alphafivewiki.com/tiki-index.php

ALPHA FIVE V10 WEB APP VIDEOS (THE FIRST FEW DO NOT HAVE SOUND) http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

ALPHA FIVE V10 DESKTOP APP VIDEOS http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Pre...uresVideos.htm

ALPHA FIVE V10 ANNOUNCEMNTS ON THE MESSAGE BOARD http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...splay.php?f=41
                              Richard Rabins
                              Co Chairman
                              Alpha Software

Comment

Outline Of A Tutorial Under Development For V10
                                Richard Rabins
                                Co Chairman
                                Alpha Software

Comment

Working...
                                X