Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Developers and V10 PDF Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Developers and V10 PDF Issue

Charlie

Just a thought but which version of Windows 7 are you using?

Regards

Glen
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Glen:

Windows 7 Home Premium

It does NOT have XP Compatable mode

What patch of V9 are you running?

Charlie Crimmel
      [email protected]

Comment

Hmmm. All was working okay in the Release candidate version of Windows 7 BUT only yesterday I upgraded to the new version (Ultimate) and just tried to run a pdf report from within version 9 and could not do so!

However, I right clicked on the v9 shortcut and changed compatability mode to XP SP3 (NOT the XP mode you are referring to Charlie) and this time v9 did install the driver and successfully generated the pdf report!

Hope this helps!
        Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Thanks Glen:
          I right clicked on the v9 shortcut and changed compatability mode to XP SP3

That solved my PDF and Excel Printing Problem

Thank You

Charlie Crimmel
          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by glenschild View Post
            Hmmm. All was working okay in the Release candidate version of Windows 7 BUT only yesterday I upgraded to the new version (Ultimate) and just tried to run a pdf report from within version 9 and could not do so!

However, I right clicked on the v9 shortcut and changed compatability mode to XP SP3 (NOT the XP mode you are referring to Charlie) and this time v9 did install the driver and successfully generated the pdf report!

Hope this helps!
            Glenn

You're a hero. Now send us some Scotch, Irish, or BeefEaters... ;-)
            Al Buchholz
            Bookwood Systems, LTD
            Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
            Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
            Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
            When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
            "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
            Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Having spent a week last year in the Cairngorms National Park, wandering (literally) around the distillery trail I can highly recommend it as a tourist destination! The only problem is you will not be able to remember most of the trip!
              Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

i received this from Charlie at 5.24pm today

Richard:

I can now confirm that version 9 Full Developers Version works in Windows 7 Home premium.

When I right clicked on the v9 shortcut and changed compatibility mode to XP SP3

That solved my PDF, Word and Excel Printing Problems.

Charlie Crimmel

Charlie Crimmel

[email protected]

(304) 757-1408
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

The issue raised by Bob Whitaker earlier in this thread has been fixed.

There is an outstanding issue only in the watermark feature in the PDF driver under Windows 7 and we have been told by Amuny (who we license the PDF driver from in Alpha Five) that it is in the process of being fixed very soon.

On the other comments about improved overall behavior of v10 desktop applications - we have done a lot of work in v10 to ensure this - so it is good to know that it is being noticed:)
                  Richard Rabins
                  Co Chairman
                  Alpha Software

Comment

Tom - the new pricing with the unlimited runtime makes for a MUCH less expensive upgrade for Bergen County!! What What.

Well, I too am now feeling relaxed about V10.
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Rabins View Post
                      On the other comments about improved overall behavior of v10 desktop applications - we have done a lot of work in v10 to ensure this - so it is good to know that it is being noticed:)
                      I wish something had been said about this a long time ago.

I, and I think many others here, had felt "deserted" because so many issues had been raised about strange problems (memory problems?) in v9 but there was very little (no?) indication that anyone was even working on the problem. Just knowing that you were working on improvements for v10 would have made me feel better than the "deserted" feeling I had.

I was having so many non-repeatable problems with one of my apps that I quit marketing the application to new users - which was and is costing me money! I just couldn't deal with all the time wasted answering questions about "why doesn't this work now" or "why am I getting this error today and yesterday I was getting a different error". In virtually every case the problem could be fixed (at least for awhile until another, different problem popped up) by just closing A5 and re-starting the app. (And those users who finally figured that out still call to complain about how often they have to do it.) Even stranger, for at least one customer I was able to solve each problem by simply logging in to her computer with LogMeIn - as soon as I logged in, her problem-of-the-day disappeared. If that doesn't sound like memory issues, I don't know what does. Unfortunately, these [memory?] issues were not repeatable and often required hours of data entry before they occurred - not something you could easily repeat for debugging even if we could tell you how to do it.

As a result, for the first time since A4v2, I did not test the beta and have not yet downloaded a trial version of A5v10. My intention was (is) not to download it until I heard that other users who had problems in v9 were NOT having problems running those same apps in v10. This was just a matter of self-preservation. I only have so much time available and don't want to waste it constantly trying to fix things that I can't fix. As I've said before, new features are nice but ONLY if the rest of the program is reliable.

This gives me a lot more hope that v10 will solve the reliability problems and brings me much closer to trying v10. A couple more users confirming that v10 solves the random problems they were seeing in v9 will push me over the edge.

So, any "other users" out there that can confirm Michael's comments?

Comment

Cal,

I have abandoned using V10. I used the beta to design web components/pages and loved it. Unfortunately the beta did not allow us to test the desktop side and once I downloaded the 30 day trial I hit major unrepeatable errors which I can only put down to the new browse, unless there have been undocumented changes in xbasic as we have seen in the past.

I have a very complex form used for making up a quotation based on a set with up-to grandchild links. One grandchild is used to buildup elements in the quotation. There are several ways of entering data into this grandchild browse, one of which is a dialog for choosing predefined assemblies, this works perfectly in V9. In V10 it has very random results, which at times result in that assembly being posted to other parent calculations. Unnoticed recently this resulted in one of my estimates being sent out �30K overpriced, which would have been great if I had got the job!

As this is so random I have been unable to send a bug report. And now my trial has run out so cannot test any further. I hope others notice this behaviour, can repeat it and report. Once fixed I will happily upgrade as was very impressed with the ajax side of things on the web. I was not impressed with the desktop side of things, most of which could be done in version 9 with a little work.

Comment

This may or may not be related to your issues, but the main bug I have run into so far is that if you set a form to modal, and you have an embedded browse for entering 1 to many lineitems (like Alpha Sports Invoices, for example,) you can only enter one new lineitem at a time - without taking the mouse and clicking on athe browse, or closing the screen and then reopening it.

I reported it as a bug a few days ago.

I have been heartened to hear that Finnian was able to take his massive medical app and get it to work in V10. I imagine he pushes Alpha to its limits.

I just got the trial version about 2 days ago, and will wait until my trial runs out. If they have fixed the desktop bugs, I will purchase and use it for my new app - otherwise I have resolved to go back to V8 with the new app I am building, as I have run into errors in V9 that I can't overcome.

I wish I could push a button and get everyone at Alpha to slow down - post a big sign everywhere:

STOP - NO NEW FEATURES - NO DEVELOPING ANYTHING NEW - EVERYBODY TAKE OFF 30 DAYS AND LETS PUT OUT SOME REALLY GOOD DOCUMENTATION - AND LETS FIX ALL THESE BUGS.
                          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Gurd View Post
                            Cal,

I have abandoned using V10. I used the beta to design web components/pages and loved it. Unfortunately the beta did not allow us to test the desktop side and once I downloaded the 30 day trial I hit major unrepeatable errors which I can only put down to the new browse, unless there have been undocumented changes in xbasic as we have seen in the past.

I have a very complex form used for making up a quotation based on a set with up-to grandchild links. One grandchild is used to buildup elements in the quotation. There are several ways of entering data into this grandchild browse, one of which is a dialog for choosing predefined assemblies, this works perfectly in V9. In V10 it has very random results, which at times result in that assembly being posted to other parent calculations. Unnoticed recently this resulted in one of my estimates being sent out �30K overpriced, which would have been great if I had got the job!

As this is so random I have been unable to send a bug report. And now my trial has run out so cannot test any further. I hope others notice this behaviour, can repeat it and report. Once fixed I will happily upgrade as was very impressed with the ajax side of things on the web. I was not impressed with the desktop side of things, most of which could be done in version 9 with a little work.
                            Lance please email [email protected]
                            he can extend your v10 trial so you can submit a bug report so that we can fix whatever might be causing an issue with your form.

In general - desktop and web v9 folks who have upgraded to v10 are extremely satisfied and excited about the new capabilities and we want to figure out the issue you are having so that you can join those ranks.
                            thanks
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

Thanks for the offer Richard, believe me if I could reproduce the problem consistently I would have submitted a bug previously. Selwyn has had my main database a couple of times before and if he wants can have it again and I can explain how the problem manifests itself. If he finds a solution, then would be the time to extend my trial so I can give it further intensive testing. Maybe the desktop should have been released during the beta phase and problems like this would have been eliminated earlier and I would be at purchase stage now.

Comment

I can happily and gratefully confirm that the issue of generating PDF output from V10 is fixed as far as my tests on both XP and Windows 7 confirm.
                                As always the speed with which this issue has been resolved is exemplary - thank you Alpha.

However the watermarking problem is NOT restricted to either 64 bit or indeed Windows 7 and my application running under version 9 produces perfectly watermarked PDF output but under V10 firstly causes Adobe reader to display an error message and then displays a partially complete PDF output.

I realise this is an issue with 3rd party software within V10 and will probably not be resolved quite as quickly as wholly internal issues are but I look forward to the earliest possible resolution by Amunyi.

Bob Whitaker
                                Bob Whitaker

Comment

Working...
                                X