Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Quesrions 3rd: App/DB Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quesrions 3rd: App/DB Security

I seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot here with this. I'm absolutely not looking to piss anyone off or alienate any member of this forum.

To Steve, I unreservedly apologize for replying in a manner which was, at best, brusque and ungrateful. I could have, and should have, been more polite, especially given my unknown status here.

To the other members who took offense. I extend my apologies to you also.

For me, awareness of potential security issues is not only sensible, but an obligation if one is to perform one's due diligence. I was never asking for hacks and cracks. Just a realistic appraisal of any issues that one should be aware of.

It is my belief that discussing security and potential problems is absolutely appropriate in this kind of forum. After all, if not here, then where? I understand that some of you may disagree.

Although it was not my intention to be rude, I accept that I was, and do apologize.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Gary,

No sweat, lets move on. I knew others would respond with their thoughts -- we are a good group that come to each others defense, and at the same hold no reservations once things are cleared up. We're all software developers, and the type of work we do does have its moments of intensity:o.

From your Access forum you know that the 'answers' tend to evolve over multiple posts. Everyone will strive to give you the best information, but often no one person has the complete solution.

Now I know what everyone wants to know from you -- what's going on over at Access that is 'pissing everyone off'?

And on Security - when you are ready you may want to start a separate discussion in the Web App Server section specifically about web apps; the security is completely different than the desktop. I know more about the web side than the desktop side.
      Steve Wood
      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hi Steve,

Many Thanks.

It's very gracious of you to accept my apology in this manner.

As for,
        Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
        Now I know what everyone wants to know from you -- what's going on over at Access that is 'pissing everyone off'?
        I have a whole diatribe in my mind that I will at some point make known... But, just got reminded that sometimes one needs to stop and think.

I'll put something together in the near future (opinion stuff/blog). But, a lot of us have just about given up on the platform. Kind of a shame because it was good for a quite a while.

Best Regards,

Gary

Comment

This thread reminds me that the message board has a function that's occasionally useful. Posters can be removed from your personal "ignore list" and their posts will no longer be suppressed.

Comment

Tom:
            I think this ranks as possible post of the day....:D
            "Ollie, remember how dumb I used to be? Well, I'm much better now."

Pete

Comment

Code:
              I do not want to get half way through converting 15,000 lines of code 
              (btw, I write code - I don't use toys) to then find out that that A5 
              is a toy for children. If this is a serious application db for serious 
              professionals then I expect serious professionals to respond in a professional 
              manner to questions that are asked in the same vein.
              COME ON!! you where using ACCESS��
              Welcome to the professional Application Deparment
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Hi Mauricio,

I didn't even notice the 15,000 lines reference.

I just ran my Code Count routine (a future part of the CSDA Code Utility), on my main development code library (made of non-trivial, optimized code) and it reported
                Processed: 1187 code entries
                285,535 total code lines
                214,001 non-comment code lines
                9,077,114 bytes of code
                6,044,978 non-comment bytes of code
                For me, I guess it's just a bit more than a toy! ;)

BTW, I'm very proud that 30% of the bytes are comments (read as documentation for myself and others):)
                Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Ira thats a good amount of code indeed
                  I wish that at least 20% of my code where made up of comments =(
                  But I have learned my lesson and now I comment as much as I can
                  now I even started an excel spreadsheet with some important lessons I have learned and some vital info like passwords and Encryption Keys for my apps
                  Cheers
                  Mauricio

Comment

Originally posted by mmaisterrena View Post
                    now I even started an excel spreadsheet with some important lessons I have learned and some vital info like passwords and Encryption Keys for my apps
                    Mauricio, COME ON!! you are using EXCEL��

I can recommend a good database to store that data.
                    ;)
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

:o LOL
                      Cheers
                      Mauricio

Comment

Ira - is that just in the Code tab or does it include scripts on buttons, event, etc? (That's not very big - just twice the size of my largest app.:D)

Comment

Hi Cal,

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                          Ira - is that just in the Code tab or does it include scripts on buttons, event, etc?
                          That's just the code tab of the control panel, which also includes a few scripts, menu and toolbars, most of which are there for testing of those objects and are relatively small. The only real scripts in there are the main Autoexec, and a bunch of Autoexec's used for other libraries. Most of the code in my layouts, field rules or etc, averages 1 or 2 lines per event used.

I reran my test on just functions on the code tab and the results were
                          Processed: 1130 code entries
                          279,676 total code lines
                          207,721 non-comment code lines
                          8,791,307 bytes of code
                          5,574,889 non-comment bytes of code
                          Most of the scripts are just left over code fragments that were used for quick tests. I was a bit surprised that I had that many script lines and bytes. Time to clean that junk out! :)

And I'll add that there are no duplicates of functions as internal functions (which I use in my AEX's so that users can not directly access them). All of my common "internal functions" are dynamically "included" at AEX compile time from code tab entries, making my AEX's get larger, but allowing me to maintain only one piece of source code.

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                          (That's not very big - just twice the size of my largest app.:D)
                          I guess you are going to get crackin' on your coding to catch up! :D

Honestly, though, for most people not writing utilities and diagnostic code, the amount of code should be relatively small. Good design of functions will allow you to cover code needs throughout a real application with relatively few lines of code (compared to using specific scripts for each button etc.)
                          Last edited by csda1; 11-10-2009, 08:42 AM.
                          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                          New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
                          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Lots of
                            free entertainment