Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How to import pdf files??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to import pdf files??

Is there a way to import pdfs' into a table?

I have 68m pdfs' to place into a table, dedupe and index them so that they can be recalled as needed. Each pdf has it's own Id number.

I have tried but to no avail.

Any and all help and direction is much appreciated.

Thanks..

Bill

Re: How to import pdf files??

I don't think there's a way to import PDFs to a table. I don't think you'd want to anyway.

How about importing the PDF file names into a table and using Alpha for whatever management you need?

Something tells me that you'll benefit and get better ideas from us if you'll give just a bit more detail about what you're doing.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Steve,

The pdfs are of a company's statements. The original file was used to produced a hard copy (multiple pages) and were mailed to their clients. Now a copy of the original statement is in pdf format and is being used to review with the client.

They have their paper copy and the pdf is for the customer service rep.

I have table with just one field. I would like to do a query on a Id number and be able to review the pdf with the client.

Bill

Comment

Open up the sample AlphaSports database that ships with A5.

When the opening menu comes up, click on the link for PDF Viewer. Might that do the job?
        -Steve
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Bill

Comment

Billn,

Database is safe place also for pdf-files.
            With MySql database you can handle easily pdf-files with Alpha.
            Here is one easy way to use them in Alpha.

First but pdf-files to MySql-table. Use MediumBlob datatype for the actual pdf-file field.

After this you can create in Alpha an active link table linking to this MySql database table.

Then you can create a default browse from this active link table. If you did name the MediumBlob data field in MySql table for example pdfhere, you see in browse just <Bitmap> in this field , but the actual pdf file is now there, you just can't yet see it but it is there.

You can then for example right click the field in browse and export the <Bitmap>. Alphas default is untitled.bmp. After saving this file you can chance the file name untitled.pdf or whatever.pdf and now you see the pdf file and you can use it.

Comment

Thanks Ken,

I'll see what I can do..

Bill

Comment

Billn

If you are not familiar with uploading data to the MySql table, you can of course use Alphas Active link table instead.

Create the MySql table as I earlier mentioned.
                Create the Active link table pointing to this table if you do not already have it.
                Create a Default Browse.
                Now rename the pdf-file you are going to upload to the database: whatever.pdf to whatever.bmp
                Now you can upload the file in Default Browse as any image before using Alphas own image downloader.

So your pdf-file is now in the MySql table and you can use it as I earlier mentioned.

As you can see this is very easy and you don't have to code anything.

Comment

Hi Kenn,

Do I understand correctly that you have a bmp file in the database?

Imagine, I have a list of names and addresses in a pdf file, and I upload it the way you explained.
                  Do I see a picture of this list or can I manipulate and store the various names and addresses stored separately?

If this is only for ducumentationpurposes can it be downloaded later again as pdf file?

This is realy new to me and the reason for this question is that I do not have any experience with MySQL so I can not try.

Thank you

Ton
                  Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

I have one table of our clinicians, with name etc., license number, type - easy to manage. The form listing towns they would do home visits in, patients preferred, those they would prefer not to see, what phone numbers to use first etc. - does not lend itself to simple translation into table fields. Reducing resumes to degrees, jobs, dates, loses much insight into this person with 30 years experience in the field. Session notes for our work do not translate into 'digital data'. I move between PaperPort and A5 frequently. Being able to pull up a relevent PDF within Alpha5 would reduce lost itme and encourage reference to these documents.

Like Ton, I know nothing about MySQL - and would appreciate an introduction. A5V10 is doing quite a bit for us right now but I'm glimpsing how much more easily and effectively I could manage the work we are doing.
                    Karen

Comment

Karen and Ton,

I do not have any experience with MySQL either.

Maybe a little more direction in that area will help us get it done.

Bill

Comment

If you are not familiar with MySql I think you also get same results with pure Alpha table.

Just reneme, upload, save, reneme.

Use xbasic/actionscript to hide the name conversion from user.

Comment

Hi all,
                          This thread about something I've wanted to do finally got me to explore the pdf reader supercontrol via AlphaSports. It works. I have only a dozen pdf's set up so far, as the learning curve was steep, but more will follow. In my application the pdf's are clinician credentialing pages - now I can stay in alpha to check something. I'm documenting the process so I don't have to learn again - if anyone is interested I'll be glad to attach a pdf.
                          I've more to figure out as far as clean filtering/ordering since at the moment the file names are not orderly (though each person has a unique ID). Just realized that the name (last, first, middle) is always the same so probably can add that to the pdf list table so the sorting is alphabetical.
                          Best wishes to all for the new year.
                          Karen

Comment

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be nice if you can add a thread in the Code Archive.
                            There people show their inventions and share code.

Your contribution will be really appreciated.

Happy New Year

Ton
                            Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

Karen: I am a trial lawyer using AlphaFive for litigation support -- i.e. to index documents and exhibits which I have scanned to PDF files stored on a hard disk. I want to be able to view them in A5 using the supercontrol PDF Viewer. I store the file reference in a field for "subdirectdory" (i.e hard disk locatio) and a field for "filename" (which is the name of the pdf file) Can you advise me as to how I can write an expression that calls the file into the viewer? I have spent hours experimenting on this without success.

Comment

Working...
                              X