Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A5V10 with Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A5V10 with Vista

I'm not sure what to expect when developing an application to run with Vista computers. This being the first time I developed a new (revised from the previous) application then employed on a network of new Vista computers with excellent specs, the performance was surprisingly slow -- too slow to go live. There are only 3 or 4 workstations active at a time, with high transaction activity (order entry).

The first encounter with this when testing going live was using these Vista computers with their Snap Server as the data server. It worked fine when all computers were XP under the old application. With the Snap Server and all Vista computers, there was a lot of freezing and slowness, so I factored out the Snap Server thinking maybe it doesn't coexist well with Vista.

I then set up one of the Vista workstations (they're all Vista Business) as a test data server. This time there was no freezing, but the performance was dreadfully slow.

Now to my questions. First, is Vista really this bad? Everyone I've always worked with has been reluctant to switch from XP to Vista, me included, but this time with all new Vista computers, it was my first journey into Vista.

Second, if Vista IS the issue, will an upgrade to Windows 7 Business solve the problem. You may not have experience with this since Windows 7 is so new, but I'm wondering, if you have experience with Vista, whether you can confirm the problems with Vista and can confirm that Windows 7 will be a major step forward?

Third, Windows 7 has an XP emulation mode that is supposed to work. I wonder if you have tried this with an Alpha Five network, and whether it makes a difference with speed or stability.

Thank you.

Jeff

Re: A5V10 with Vista

There are so many factors involved with network performance it may take you a while to figure out where the bottleneck is. Try turning off stuff (AV, Firewalls, UAC , one system at a time) to see if you get any improvement. We have a mixed environment, mostly XP but some visata, some Win7 and don't really notice any difference in performance. Sometimes a very tough thing to find.
    Bill Griffin
    Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Griffin View Post
      There are so many factors involved with network performance it may take you a while to figure out where the bottleneck is. Try turning off stuff (AV, Firewalls, UAC , one system at a time) to see if you get any improvement. We have a mixed environment, mostly XP but some visata, some Win7 and don't really notice any difference in performance. Sometimes a very tough thing to find.
      Good suggestions. I'll keep digging.

Comment

UAC was off from the beginning. Tried disabling AV -- no difference. Need to address firewall.

However, question if you know something about this. The switch they have is a low-end Netgear FS116, less than $100. I've more often dealt with switches around $1,000 and up, typcially Intel. Do you know if this makes a big difference in throughput even though the specs are essentially similar for rated speed?

Jeff

Comment

I would doubt the switch is the problem, especially if your Xp's worked ok. I have had a bad network card kill performance on a network. Is your Alpha setup esentially like it used to be before the Vista upgrade?
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

I would doubt the switch is the problem, especially if your Xp's worked ok. I have had a bad network card kill performance on a network. Is your Alpha setup esentially like it used to be before the Vista upgrade?
            You raise an interesting point about the network card. They are all new computers, so the network cards are unproven. The old system used older, less powerful computers, all with XP. They shared data off a low-end Snap Server (NAS device). They ran under Alpha Five V7.

The new system uses the new computers with plenty of memory and processing power. They are all Vista, working off the same switch as before, had a problem when working off the Snap so I switched them to one of the work stations as the file server. Performance is fine when working off one computer. Once another computer is in Alpha, one of the two computers crawls. I'll test the theory of the network card by using a different second test workstation.

Jeff

Comment

Jeff,

Are you using a shadow setup?
              Bill Griffin
              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Jeff,

Are you using a shadow setup?
                I am not using a shadow setup. I tried it long ago and went away from it, never feeling it added much performance. If you use it, and have tested without it, do you find a large performance gain? If so, it's worth a try.

Thanks.

Jeff

Comment

I have always used Shadow, so I can;t really tell you if there is any performace gain from it. But I am sure others can let you know ig there is any performace gain....
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

I have always used Shadow, so I can;t really tell you if there is any performace gain from it. But I am sure others can let you know ig there is any performace gain....
                    In theory there will be performance gain. It's just a matter of degree. I was under the impression that it comes along with routine maintenance and extra steps when updating support files. Is this true?

Jeff

Comment

I have found that if you use decent (not necessarily expensive) Gig cards, a gig switch, cat 6 or better wire and wall plates that A5 runs pretty well without shadowing. I used to shadow but with a lot of updates it was just easier to go without it. I am not currently using A5 with a heavy network load so the shadow may prove its worth if more people are hitting the server. This is probably not related to the problem but fast hard drives and interface also help.
                      I've found that sometimes the reason for a slow computer just can't be pinned down. Got one now and I have no idea why so the user is stuck with it for now.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by russ Boehle View Post
                        I have found that if you use decent (not necessarily expensive) Gig cards, a gig switch, cat 6 or better wire and wall plates that A5 runs pretty well without shadowing. I used to shadow but with a lot of updates it was just easier to go without it. I am not currently using A5 with a heavy network load so the shadow may prove its worth if more people are hitting the server. This is probably not related to the problem but fast hard drives and interface also help.
                        I've found that sometimes the reason for a slow computer just can't be pinned down. Got one now and I have no idea why so the user is stuck with it for now.

Russ
                        So many variables, so little time.

These are certainly worth checking out. They are a remote client, so I haven't looked at their hardware, but I'll check to see if they have gig cards and switch. I'm sure they don't have cat6 wire, so maybe that's worth updating. Hard drives are large SATA 7200, so they should not be a problem.

Thanks.

Comment

Jeff,

I just find the maintenance fairly simple by using the shadow, but I am in the process of moving most of my stuff to the app server.

Bill
                          Bill Griffin
                          Parkell, Inc

Comment

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier, but I would experiment with turning off any virus protection you have and seeing if that's a factor.
                            John

Comment

Just so you can rule out the network as an issue, you can do a speed test from the application server to the workstation. I'd test one of the other workstations that are responding well as a benchmark. I use a program from Raccoonworks (free, works well) called speedtest. You can pick it up at http://www.raccoonworks.com/index.html. At least you'll be able to see if there's a problem on the network quickly.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X