Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Global variables and dimensioning of same

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global variables and dimensioning of same

My reference is the book, Xbasic for Everybody - Page 149 (pdf). An example from this book, Global variables are created (dim) and assigned (=). The author continues to dimension (dim) the Global variables in other parts of the program prior to using the Global variable. Is there some rationale for this, I don't see the point. I realise the dim'ing of an already dim'ed variable doesn't destroy the assigned value but it seems superfluous to do so.

Any thoughts?

As an aside, I apply a naming convention to variables (coming from VBA) so at a glance I know a variable is global etc.
    Steve
    Alphafive V10

Re: Global variables and dimensioning of same

DIM'ing the variable in later scripts tells those scripts that you are referencing the global. Otherwise, the later scripts will implicitly DIM the variable as LOCAL. Alpha Five permits duplicate variable names, with different variable scopes. You can have both a global var and a local var with the same name. The rule I follow is simple: if the var is not DIM'd in the current script it's LOCAL.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
      Otherwise, the later scripts will implicitly DIM the variable as LOCAL. Alpha Five permits duplicate variable names, with different variable scopes. You can have both a global var and a local var with the same name. The rule I follow is simple: if the var is not DIM'd in the current script it's LOCAL.
      To more precisely state it, if it is not DIM'd, and you don't reference an explicit variable space (addin, global, shared and local), the current most limited space that is DIM'd is used for references and assignments. If not DIM'd at any level, then there is implicit DIM as a local variable (or at the space as defined by the WITH/END WITH command directive)

Hi Steve,

For more info on Dimensioning see my Dimensioning tips, which cover's many aspects of variable use.
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

To me it just looks a little strange when seeing a dim statement but no assignment statement immediately following, or within a few lines of code. Though I can live with it.

I've scoured the help file and can not find any reference to the possibility of globally issuing an 'Option Strict' command. Is it possible to issue such a command, once?

In any event in relation to global variables (no matter which language) common sense should prevail regarding what names are used. You'd be asking for trouble if names such as temp, name, x, y, z etc. were used.
        Steve
        Alphafive V10

Comment

Hi Steve,

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
          To me it just looks a little strange when seeing a dim statement but no assignment statement immediately following, or within a few lines of code. Though I can live with it.
          This is not a compiled (in the "C" sense") language. It is an interpreted, XBAsic language that has no idea what other modules are doing or have declared, until it does it. A DIM basically tells Alpha Five the scope (variable space) and type for that code piece to use.

Assignment implicitly will assign type based on the expression's value type, and make the scope local, if not DIM'd. References to a variable, prior to an implicit or explicit DIM, will have Alpha looking for the lowest scoped matching name.

I've scoured the help file and can not find any reference to the possibility of globally issuing an 'Option Strict' command. Is it possible to issue such a command, once?
          Since every code piece is separate, there is no central place to put it. It would be nice if Alpha had an include for code, so that modules could be subsituted, but it does not.

In any event in relation to global variables (no matter which language) common sense should prevail regarding what names are used. You'd be asking for trouble if names such as temp, name, x, y, z etc. were used.
          Absolutely, and good programming technique isolates code as much as possible from each other, which, for the most part, global variables are contrary to.
          Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
          Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
          CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
          CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Tom Cone Jr.

I'm a bit confused here. You said,

"DIM'ing the variable in later scripts tells those scripts that you are referencing the global. Otherwise, the later scripts will implicitly DIM the variable as LOCAL. Alpha Five permits duplicate variable names, with different variable scopes. You can have both a global var and a local var with the same name. The rule I follow is simple: if the var is not DIM'd in the current script it's LOCAL."

If I place a script in the onpush event for a button with the line,

Dim Global xray as N = 100

in the script, and in the onpush for a second button a script that says,

xray = 50
            debug(1)

then press the first button then the second, debug shows the local variable frame is empty. The global shows xray = 50.
            Likewise if I place the two lines without placing them in scripts. The same if the scripts are run in the interactive then xray is checked with global/local_variables().xray. The same applies to shared. Only by using Dim xray in script2 can I get the local and global frame to show xray (with their respective values). What "configuration" of scripts "implicitly dims" a local varible once it has been declared shared or global.?

Comment

Originally posted by milesjg View Post
              What "configuration" of scripts "implicitly dims" a local varible once it has been declared shared or global.?
              If you read my variable usage tips, it explains this.

There is no implicit DIM of a local variable if any variable of the same name currently exists at the Shared or Global. However, DIM varname as vartype does explicitly dimension the variable as Local, or the current pointer space of the WITH if used within a WITH/END WITH pair.
              Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
              Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
              CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
              CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

James, I'm sorry to have caused a bit of confusion here. I haven't seen the "promotion" of undim'd global variables before. Probably because I'm careful to explicitly dim the var global in each script that uses it. Ira's tips document explains what you're seeing. In my own work I explicitly dim shared and global vars whenever I use them. A practice that has seemed counter-intuitive to folks coming to xbasic from other languages, but a practice that has stood me in good stead over the years. --tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                  DIM'ing the variable in later scripts tells those scripts that you are referencing the global. Otherwise, the later scripts will implicitly DIM the variable as LOCAL. Alpha Five permits duplicate variable names, with different variable scopes. You can have both a global var and a local var with the same name. The rule I follow is simple: if the var is not DIM'd in the current script it's LOCAL.
                  Tom, I just need to address this further. It appears to me that the dimensioning of variables and the associated scoping, is in the main, similar, if not the same, as it is in other languages (VBA, Real Basic).

I believe the intent of your post is that if a variable is dim'ed in a function then it is implicitly defined as a local variable. If the keyword Global or Shared is also used in the dim line then it's not local. I accept this.

The point of my original post was why dimension an already dimensioned global variable. If the global variable is to be used in another function, then there is no need to re-dimension it. I've tested this and it works as expected. Granted, re-dimensioning the variable as global also works. I was simply querying why bother re-dimensioning.

Ira's example of the global variable name 'WOY' is interesting but whether this particular variable name is continually re-dimensioned (as global) or not does not alter the fact there is a problem with the WOY global variable name.

Prior to hitting the 'Submit Reply' button I read and re-read the above and I'm wondering whether we're going around in circles? I'll submit it anyway.
                  Steve
                  Alphafive V10

Comment

I was simply querying why bother re-dimensioning.
                    I suppose, strictly speaking, it's not necessary. If you keep better track of the variables scattered across your application than I am able to do then yes you could save a few keystrokes.

Comment

Hi Steve,

The point of my original post was why dimension an already dimensioned global variable. If the global variable is to be used in another function, then there is no need to re-dimension it. I've tested this and it works as expected. Granted, re-dimensioning the variable as global also works. I was simply querying why bother re-dimensioning.
                      For Globals that are already dimensioned in CODE THAT HAS BEEN EXECUTED, this is true, you could skip the line of code that dimensions it in other code. If the variable name is not dimensioned local or shared in the current code, then any accesses in the current code will find the global variable

But suppose you reuse this current code somewhere else (typically this current code would be a UDF function that was being used in a new place). Can you guarantee that the code that DIM's the variable global has been executed? If it was in the AUTOEXEC, probably yes. Pretty much anywhere else, maybe not?

Also, should you use reuse the variable name in the current code without realizing you have a global variable of the same name used in other code pieces, you will step on your own global code name's value, if you don't DIM the variable in the current code as something other than Global.

Ira's example of the global variable name 'WOY' is interesting but whether this particular variable name is continually re-dimensioned (as global) or not does not alter the fact there is a problem with the WOY global variable name.
                      The point was that WOY was never DIM'd at all in the Alpha Five built-in function, and that it could assume (and modify) any global or shared variable of the same name previously set in ANY CODE! WOY is not a likely choice for a variable name (unless writing functions that inolve weeks and years), however, imagine the damage had it been the variable name TEMP.

Alpha has 1 million + lines of internal XBasic code, that are not going to be updated anytime soon, to correct this DIM issue throughout. Doing it would, in itself, create many errors (and trust me, I know, as I've have gone back and DIM'd everything in my 80K plus lines of code a couple of years back).

And can you be 100% positive that any Add-in program or utility not from Alpha Software, DIM's all their variables so they don't step on yours? You can't! (well at least if they are not mine :D )

When you can, you want all code to be as independent from all other code, to increase reliability of the design. You want the code to stand totally by itself and be rock solid, or as I coined, a software "island of stability".
                      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
                      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
                      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
                      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Working...
                      X