Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Underscore added to name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underscore added to name

I tried constructing a query on a form "Hours Entry" to select records to print payroll checks. When I tried to run it I got an error The object ':Hours_Entry' does not exist. I was using action scripting and had selected the Hours Entry form from the drop down list and apparently Alpha10 inserted an underscore between the hours and entry words. I then duplicated the form and named it Hours_Entry, but I still got the same error. I don't understand why, if it shows the form in the drop down menu that it can't find it when I run the query.
    I reviewed some of the board and did find that it seems Alpha does not like spaces in names and I thought that renaming would solve the problem, but apparently I am doing something else wrong.

Re: Underscore added to name

Hi Howard,
    When I tried to run it
    What are you trying to run? I get the impression that you are trying to print the form, is that correct?

To print the "payroll checks", first create a report and select the data as a filter for that print run.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Keith, I use the data from the form to print the checks that are defined as "letter" objects. Why I used letter instead of report is lost in the ancient past since this program has been running for years up to the point where I updated it and put it under V10. I am not well versed in xbasic and I use action scripting almost exclusively.

Comment

Hi Howard,

OK, I assume you are trying to do a cheque run and the layout you are using is letter, which is fine.

As you are using the letter layout for the cheques I assume you are not including a remittance advice.

What is the criteria you are using to filter the cheques you want printed?
        Regards
        Keith Hubert
        Alpha Guild Member
        London.
        KHDB Management Systems
        Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Keith, I don't understand "remittance advice". Is that what I would call the "check stub"? I do include all of the pertinent data including year to date figures. This was working fine for several years before I started fiddling with it due to changes in our IRS tax withholding tables.
          Anyhow, the database (hours) includes a field "Week Ending". I ask the user for the week ending date and store it in a variable. I then compare the variable with the field on the form for week ending. That is "anded" with "Regnetpay>0" because all employees don't get paid every week, so checks are printed only when the employee has money coming.
          PS: I spent 6 months in England in Bearstead near Maidstone, as a tech rep to Elliott Bros. Works in Rochester. Had a wonderful time after I learned to drive on the "wrong" side of the road..Ha

Comment

Hi Howard,

Glad you had a good time in the UK. So pleased to know that you have returned safely to the USA. We also don't like people driving on the "wrong" side of the road over here!!!

The "remittance advice" is to show all the details of extra items that have been added or subtracted to make up the final values. Like overtime added and tax deducted, this is what I should have called the "Pay Slip".

Not quite sure what you problem is now. You say "This was working fine for several years before I started fiddling with it due to changes in our IRS tax withholding tables." What happens when you go back to the original and try to run that in V10?
            Regards
            Keith Hubert
            Alpha Guild Member
            London.
            KHDB Management Systems
            Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

I tried to run the 2009 payroll and came up with the same problem. The formula that is supposed to select the checks to be printed doesn't appear to work. I think we have digressed from the original problem of Alpha adding an underscore to a field name that originally doesn't have an underscore. When using action scripting I select the field, for example, "Period Ending" and when I get the error, it shows "Period_Ending" not found. BUT! I duplicated the form and changed the field to "Period_Ending" and still got the error "Field not found". I am going to try to run the 2009 payroll with V7, later today, to see what happens

Comment

Hi Howard,

Did you also change the name "Period_Ending" in the table and not just on the form and layout?
                Regards
                Keith Hubert
                Alpha Guild Member
                London.
                KHDB Management Systems
                Skype = keith.hubert

Comment

Its best to always put an underscore between words in a field or table name.

You may note that Alpha adds the underscore to field names when you save the file, while in 'edit structure' mode - HOWEVER, also note that unless YOU put the underscore in the field name, technically, it still contains a space. In some instances if you refer to the field with the underscore you will get an error, while in other instances if you refer to the field without the underescore you will get an error. The same holds true for table names. HOWEVER, if you always use underscores when defining field names and table names between words, you will not get this error.

At this point, though, if you edit structure and manually add the underscore, you will likely get errors the next time you open a form containing the field. E.g., originally, in the customers table you made a field called [first name.] You saved it and Alpha ostensibly converted it to [First_name.] To actually make the name [first_name] you will need to change it to [firstname], save it, and then change it to [first_name,] manually adding the underscore yourself. Then, in all layouts containing the field, you will need to right click in the field object, and change the name, adding the underscore.

I first ran into this when learing to write expressions, etc., in xbasic, in 4.5, circa 1998/1999.

At first I was quite aggravated noone had told me this, and that there was no little genie on my shoulder warning me of same. Then I read books and articles by Dr. Wayne, Ira, Cal, etc., regarding best practices and just accepted it.

Note that it will work either way, in xbasic, but you will need to learn how to write the expressions, etc., to accomodate the words where Alpha added the underscore.
                  Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                  972 524 8714
                  [email protected]

Comment

you will need to learn how to write the expressions, etc., to accomodate the words where Alpha added the underscore.
                    I personally would NOT want to add this sort of learning to everything else there is to learn already regarding xbasic/xdialog! :)

Howard,
                    When you went back to v9 and tested, you perhaps were not actually testing orginal code if you created this in Action Script. Ira Perlow has pointed out several times that Action Scripting can/will change between versions when saved if Alpha changed how it was rendered. So edit your script in v9 and resave, then test in v9.

I just want to eliminate another possible is all, however unlikely it might be.
                    Mike

Comment

Thank you for your time and effort on this problem. I fianlly started over from scratch, carefully checking each step. I think one of the problems was defining a query with the action scripting and ALSO defining it in the properties of the letter. In any case, I can now print the payroll checks. Thanks again and cheerio.
                      Howard

Comment

Working...
                      X